“Pleasant experiance, good location”

Lindner Hotel City Plaza
Ranked #25 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Houston, Tx
“Pleasant experiance, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Nice hotel, good size room with comfortable queen size bed. Nice bathroom with tub. The front desk was helpfull with directions and information. Many restraurants in the area and a Starbucks with free wi-fi one block away. A 20 minute walk to the magnificent Cathedral. Only one problem. After our first night we left mid-morning for sightseeing and when returned late afternoon the bed was unmade, and towels still in the bathtub. Went to the front desk and reported the problem and the room made up in 15 minuets.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

While I'm extremely happy with my $ 85 per night deal I got through Priceline per night for this hotel I would hardly call it a 4 star hotel or 5 star as some other sites have said it is.( rooms are usually more expensive ) The room was clean but about as modern as my 1995 two tone Honda Accord with surround sound mono. In fact if this hotel was my car I would send it to the garage for a tune up. Now now.. I can't complain too much. This place was comfortable. The beds have duvets and great pillows and I slept really well... but the bathrooms and furniture have seen better days ( when Clinton was President ) The shower head and tub were a bit dangerous as the tub had a high side and I slipped in it. Getting the shower head to flow straight was frustrating ( note: room 216 ! ) If you want to

The staff were great ! the food was great ! and I was lucky to be able to stay here for the price I paid. However I wouldn't pay more than $85 a night for this hotel. That is what its worth.

Now onto the internet ! There is something I don't get about Germany and most of Europe. 1. In many places using WIFI is like taking a bottle of maple syrup from the freezer and watching it while pouring it on your waffles. OMG.. it is the dark ages of internet. Not many places have free WIFI and the ones that do offer usually a terribly slow service. From hotels to trains to Starbucks its a painful process. This hotel is no different except the price.. at a stunning $ 14.50 Euros for 24hrs of access its an embarrassment !! an embarrassment in speed for the price and the price itself. Its like the internet is some new invention in Germany. LOL So if your going to stay here you may as well walk the 1 block west to the Starbucks and use their internet as its sort of faster. When I complained to the front desk about it I was expecting the woman to say it was running on a 14400 baud 1994 phone modem .. ( that would have been faster ! )

So all in all.. no real major complaints here. Good if you get a deal on the room.. bad if you don't

Room Tip: Go on priceline !!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank john_aexander1
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel was very comfortable and I would definitely recommend. The rooms are a little tired (a modern TV that wasn't more than a decade old would be nice) but the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. The check in process was great the even valet parked our car and were told it would be no charge! When checking out this became an issue and were told to pay an outrageous amount, this was rectified when we asked to speak with the manager who reluctantly waived the fee. The breakfast was pretty good with all you would expect for a simple buffet but it is very busy so get there early if you want a relaxed breakfast environment.. Wifi was not free which is alway my frustration.......... The pool and spa area is quite large for an indoor area but the chlorine levels were so high it made my eyes water....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beno77
Litchfield Park, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here with our small daughter (age 3) and it worked great. We did have to go for an upgrade for a Junior Suite to have room for all three of us....but so worth it. We had a separate area with a King bed and they brought up a very comfortable twin bed for her. Made it there for her with extra touches that a three year old found to be fantastic (chocolates on her pillow) It was a great place for the end of the day after touring the area. We also were on the concierge level so we helped ourselves to the free beverages and snack. Room service was timely and very good. Rooms were very clean, tasteful, and the bathroom was actually large by European standards.

Be warned the parking garage is an extremely tight fit...I had to squeeze in through the door and have my husband guide me out of the spot and then we loaded up. But then again, parking in most of Europe is very tight quarters!

We would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

This hotel has seen its glorious days, now it is old and tired, time for a revamp! My husband and I choose this hotel because of its location, it's near the places of interest. The lobby is still presentable, you get to see the real "face" once you get into your room. The carpet really needs a change, everything is dated. the king size bed, in my opinion,is not at all comfortable. I have the feeling that I'm falling off the bed if I turn to side.

We love the breakfast, the choices are plenty and very good! It's worth to have breakfast included in your room.

The downsides: the internet and parking are expensive, the air-conditioning unit doesn't work very well, rooms need to be renovated soon. Definitely not a four star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

I have stayed in the Renaissance hotel in Köln many time in the last 5 years and it is always great. I have never been disappointed. The breakfast is great and the location is also very good. It is convenient to walk downtown or take the subway on next corner. I recommend this hotel if you are going to the nice city of Cologne.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

This hotel just works. While the hotel is a little dated it's very luxurious and classy and very well maintained. Staff were very friendly yet very professional. Extras were reasonably priced. Even in the extreme summer heat (much hotter than would be expected) the air conditioning worked well.

Rooms were clasically decorated and very comfortable and rates very reasonable.

The location is fairly central and well placed for numerous bars. Parking is fairly expensive but there is a public car park across the street which is much cheaper - though free street parking might be possible if you get very lucky.

Overall the hotel was absolutely stunning value and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo