“A bit too expensive for what they have to offer”

SMARTY Cologne City Center Hotel | Hostel | Boardinghouse
Ranked #202 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Blumenau, SC
“A bit too expensive for what they have to offer”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a nice hotel, very well located (10 min walk from the Dom) and somewhat comfortable, but maybe not completely worth the money we paid to stay there. It seems to me that other better options are available in Cologne for the same price — despite of the bathroom, which was rather good; and the bedroom (4 beds dormitory), which wasn't exactly big but had enough space for all 4 people there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Me and a friend stayed at the Meininger for a week whilst visiting gamescom. The hostel was very clean, and all the staff were friendly and gave us travel directions when we needed them. The hostel was only a short walk from lots of bars and restaurants so we were never short of things to do at night time. Suitcase-sized lockers were available in our room to store valuables. Hostel was reasonably priced, considering its location in the city. Would definitely recommend to a friend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Max_Henchliffe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed in the Meinger hotel at weekend for a trip and I found out that this hotel didnt look as posh as the pictures that have been taken of the hotel on the website. Our room was in a very poor condition as lots of the equipment was broken like the mirrors, lamps and even the bed. We also had dirt on the walls and shelves and squashed flies also on the walls near our bed. The shower was broken and every so often let cold water out as it had lot of cracks in the shower head, the toilet was also not clean which left a smell in our room. We then went down to get our tea and breakfast in the mornings and nights this was also very poor as it only had one set meal which you could not choose from, I unfortunately found a hair in my food which didnt get sorted and was ignored. The lift did not work too as it went to all the different floors before you could get to the one you wanted. I was very surprised as I expected better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Cologne hotels

Bogotá
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have stayed at other 2 Meininger Hostels during our trip and both were very high quqlity estqblishments, clean and renewed. This last one was certainly different from other meininger hostels. The furniture in the rooms was quite old and rooms in general didn't seem to be taken care of in the last year. The bathroom was renewed but certainly required a stronger cleansing as it had a very disgusting smell. I think they can do lots to improve this hotel to take it to the standards of the chain. The staff was super attentive + you have internet and tv in your room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I never made a mistake booking at meininger. Simply the best for me, provided i catch a good deal. The point is, they have a big swing in the price of their dormitory beds: from 10 to 35 € according to days and vacancy. So i have to plan, book 4-5 days then book elsewere for other days. I get unbeatable deals. True, the vienna meininger seems newer, and there was a strong mold odour in the shower room of the cologne one, but ok for backpacker considering the good deal.
Good kitchen, breakfast not mandatory so you save on this with your own stuff.
Im looking for meiningers and always watching the deals available on the net.

• Stayed April 2013
Hillegom, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great hostel! I booked a small single room, so I expected a small single room. Well, the room is indeed fairly small, but practically designed. There is everything you need at a small amount of space. I stayed one night in room 508 and one night in room 408 (during my trip I switched hotels, so had two different bookings for two different nights) These rooms were on the street side, but very quiet (maybe since they are located on the 4th and 5th floor, and away from the elevator)
Quite a few facilities are available in this hostel (24 hours bar, games room, breakfast room, free WiFi in the room) The breakfast is tasty, not too extensive (but that's regular in a hostel), and even some newspapers are available.
The staff of the hostel is very friendly and helpful. Got a great restaurant recommendation (he really thought with me. Like: what cuisine do you want, about what city area, which price range. Super service, and had a super meal at restaurant Hans im Gluck), personnel in general was really prepared to be of service in any way (directions into town, what to see or do, and what not to do, even willing in a room move, since I liked the same room as before. Even that works out)
Really a big plus, this hostel!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, better to prevent noisyness (if applicable)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cottbus, Germany
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed once at a Meininger Hotel in Frankfurt and had a positive experience, so I was expecting a similar level of quality here. How wrong I was! The only good thing was being received by a very friendly employee at the reception, who asked me right away to let her know of any critique I had. Well, she did have to hear from me.

First, the toilet wasn't properly cleaned up and there were still some rest of feces visible! This is unacceptable. There wasn't enough toilet paper in the bathroom either. Second, the mattress was so thin that one felt like lying directly on a wooden table (see picture), which made sleeping really uncomfortable. Third, one could hear everything that was going on in the other rooms and the hallway. As I complained, the employee offered me a different room, but when I saw it, the toilet wasn't properly cleaned either and the mattress was the same. She told me they don't have other kinds of mattresses available, but took care of having someone cleaning my toilet again and placing enough toilet paper while I was out. After an uncomfortable night, I was expecting a better buffet breakfast but the offer wasn't good enough, and not even boiled eggs, which are a common breakfast in Germany.

The difference between the Meininger Hotel in Frankfurt/Messe and this one in Cologne is huge. If there's no minimum standard, what sense does it make to have a hotel brand? I wrote a formal complain but, at the time of writing this review, I haven't even received an apology. After this experience I won't be staying at a Meininger Hotel again and can't recommend them any further.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo