“Good location and old fashion style”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dom Hotel Koeln

Dom Hotel Koeln
Ranked #86 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
New York City, New York
“Good location and old fashion style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel has a great location and is a good business hotel. The location is the best part ,the service is helpful and professional. The negative part are the fitness service, no pool and spa. The single rooms are small and old fashion. The restaurant is good but the breakfast has a heavy 29 € price tag. For a short stay a good hotel.

Room Tip: Get the rooms facing the Dom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hahee
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear “Hahee”,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your recommendation. I regret that we could not fulfill all of your expectations but we are glad to hear that you did like our location and services.

Unfortunately, due to the historical context of our building, we are not able to provide a fitness facility for our guests. We cooperate with two fitness centers nearby the hotel. Both are well known in town and are situated very closely, just within 5 minutes walking distance.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with the price performance during your stay with us. Please be kindly advised that our prices are very much in line with the average price for breakfast in comparable 5 star hotels in Europe. We believe the price reflects the quality of product on offer, of which a lot is sourced from local and regional biological agriculture. Guests with less appetite in the morning can also choose a breakfast a la carte to have at our bar besides the buffet.

I also regret that you were not satisfied with your room. The hotel will undergo an extensive renovation as soon as all works in the newly extended part of the hotel have finished. I am sure you will like the fresh and modern design.

We would be happy to welcome you again before long. It would be great if you include us again in your next holiday trip.

Best regards

Riccardo Giacometti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Located on Cathedral Square, this hotel is not only an elegant high end European hotel one of the 6 Cologne Christmas markets was right outside the front door! And the other five were within walking distance. And these Christmas Markets were all big!

The hotel was very nice and comfortable. There must have been some VIPs there, because there was a lot of security roaming the halls- but VIPs don’t stay at non-good hotels…..

A great location to explore Old Town and its shopping district.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “Peter H”,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and for sharing this nice review. We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and in particular could relish the nice Christmas Markets around the hotel. This is indeed something special.

We would be happy to see you soon again. If there is anything we can do for you in the meantime, just let us know.

Nice, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have just returned from a Christmas Market expedition to Cologne. I really feel that I have to commend this hotel on its location, room quality, service and friendliness of the staff.

Firstly the location is out of this world. Cologne is a city dominated by its quite incredible cathedral and you can't get much closer to it than by staying at the Dom.

I was lucky to stay in one of the recently refurbished corner suites. One of the nicest rooms that I have stayed in in Europe.. especially in an old building. Electric blinds open up as you open the door to your room, giving you a magnificent view of the cathedral. The shower is also pretty special.

I have to commend the staff who were all tremendously helpful, with a special mention to Daniel and Victoria who both went that extra mile to make sure my stay was as good as it could be.

There is a Christmas Market on the doorstep of the hotel and it is in easy reach of the other two major Christmas Markets.

It was an excellent trip and this really is a super hotel.

Room Tip: Corner Suite in the refurbed part of hotel is amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DiscoVolante10
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear “Hall10Brussels”,

To read your review was a welcome treat after a busy day. I have passed wonderfull comments on to my team, when Daniel and Victoria heard about your commendation, they could not stop smiling. Thank you for staying at our hotel and for making us happy with your commentary. Please come back soon!

With best regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in April 2012.

It was my partners birthday treat and we stayed in deluxe bedroom with super view as the hotel is located directly next to Dom!

Room and bathroom were super spacious and very comfortable. I was surprised with the level of noise once we opened windows and again when closed it was super quiet.

Concierge was super helpful, he helped us to choose the restaurant where we had amazing german food and also organised champagne and birthday cake on our return as a surprise.

We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juliana_svk
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear “Juliana_svk”,

You made me smile! I just read your report on your stay of April 2012 at our hotel and would like to thank you for the time you took to write this review and for posting the nice photos. It makes me happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. In particular because it was a special event for you and your partner and we were able to make a surprise to you both.

We will do our very best to keep up our good service. Thank you for giving us 5 out of 5 possible points. I hope very much that you will soon stay at our hotel again – we would be delighted to welcome you!

Kind regards and best wishes,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is a MUST if it is your first visit to Cologne. The Hotel location cannot be beat. We paid for a cathedral view and we sure got it! Room 341 was beyond beautiful. the room was very large for European standards. The staff was very helpful and friendly, they really helped make our trip a great one! I was nervous once I read other reviews, but we had no problems at all. This hotel is definitely worth the money for the first time you visit this city, if I could afford it a second time I would do it in a heartbeat!
Also, I did not find the location noisy, the windows really block the noise, even the fireworks on New Years eve were muffled.

Room Tip: paying extra for the cathedral view is worth it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PearlieLupita
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear “PearlieLupita”,

What a treat to receive such an awesome review! Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and summarizing your experiences in so many flattering words. We are happy that you had a good time and would be delighted to welcome you soon again.

Yellowknife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is lovely and in a really great location. All staff were extremely helpful - even the day after we had checked out! We wandered into the hotel to get out of the rain, and seek some advice to find a place for hot chocolate. The concierge went out of his way to assist us. We were lucky enough to be put into a newer room which was very large, very clean (lovely bathroom too) and had a spectacular view.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer addition to the hotel are very modern, and clean. We were travelling in a gr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mellissawood
Dear “MelLW”,

I would like to thank you for your friendly words. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. And thank you also for commending our staff. Your friendly words are really appreciated by my entire team, they will be highly motivated by your positive feedback.

I hope you have already planned your next trip to Frankfurt. We would be delighted to see you soon again.

Kind regards,

Dunboyne, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Its been three years since last we visited this grand dame of hotels (Please see "Christmas Magic - September 2010). It is still the 5* hotel that one dreams of staying at. Due to the exorbitant price of the rooms, we limit our stay here to one night during our tour of German Christmas markets. This year we paid €260 for one night in a Dom View room. The view can only be described as reach out and touch the cathedral. The high point of our visit was waking up and pressing a button next to the bed, the drapes opened and we were presented with a view of the cathedral that is indescribable. While we were soaking it in, the first flakes of a significant snow fall were visible - Christmas Magic.
The only negative we found was that the management of this hotel insists on gouging its customers €15 per night for Internet access in the rooms. As I pointed out to the hotel manager, who felt the charge is reasonable, that not only is this more than I pay for one MONTH of internet access in my home, and that McDonald's and Starbucks, within a stone's throw of the hotel, have internet access for free. He resorted to "Did you not read the Terms & Conditions?" Needless to say, we did not pay the €15 fee, but instead paid a €5 roaming fee on one of our mobiles, turned it into a hub, and all our devices had internet access at a third the price. This was not Christmas Magic, but crass commercialism of the worst kind.
We will cherish the view and the style of this hotel, but I doubt we will ever splurge on it again.
I have since researched a few hotel with a very short distance, at least one of which offered WIFi access for free. Do your homework, do the maths.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a room with the Cathedral View
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick B
Dear “DublinBanjoMan”,

Many thanks for your review and your kind words. It made me happy to read your words about how you enjoyed Christmas feeling at our hotel – even if your review is not that positive as the last one. I am really sorry that we could not fulfill all of your expectations this time.

Please allow me to elaborate on the reason for our current policy to charge for internet services. We decided not to include this service in our room rates, as we would have had to increase those, which again would penalize all guests not using the internet. At our Business Center, however, the internet access is free of charge. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience that may have been caused and rest assured that we will take your comment into consideration in our next future strategy discussion.

We really would love to see you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time if I can be of your assistance.