“Carnival”

and 1 more site!
Dom Hotel Koeln
Ranked #98 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We arrived in Cologne on 11/11/12, little did we know that this is the start of Carnival.
The hotel is near the Dom and on a pedestrian precinct, you can drive through the precict to the front door of the hotel and have thd conierge park your car. Not during the start of Carnival! We had to park in a park house about one half a mile away and walk with our luggage to the hotel.
A warning of this would have been nice when we made the reservation.
The hotel is in the very best location in Cologne, this was my second stay there and I would definitely stay again.
Breakfast is a little on the expensive side, but the hotel is in the best place so the location sets the price.
The staff were professional and really friendly.
The bar tender even though very busy was an artist and did not cut corners to make the drinks more quickly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear “Biker-Norm”,

Thank you very much for your very positive review. Comments like yours make us proud and we realize that we are on the right track. For sure, we will consider your comment concerning our parking information during carnival season for the next time. Thank you for your notice, guest feedback always helps us to improve our service furthermore.

We are looking forward welcoming you back – maybe for carnival in February. After 11th November silence sets in but preparations start for the fifth season in February when costume balls and street parades take place.

Best regards

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is our favourite hotel in Cologne, we have stayed here several times and cannot fault it.
The location is perfect, a very short walk from the main railway station, and next to the cathedral and shops. The breakfast cannot be faulted with a huge selection with something to suit everyone. The staff are friendly and help full, the rooms spacious and clean, what more could you want in a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear “bestauntieml”,

I would like to thank you for the positive evaluation of your recent stay at our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time.

We are certainly looking forward to welcome you back.

Many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Dom Hotel for a conference. The location is absolutely perfect, but the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The worst part of my four day stay was the fire "alarm" at 4 a.m. I have been at other hotels where false alarms have occurred, but the staff handled this false alarm with no professionalism. I felt unsafe as they blasted air horns down the hall and called "fire!" When I left the room, I didn't know where to go and the staff as in such a confused state, they didn't seem to know what to do either.
We all have bad days, I know. But I really felt unsafe and at a hotel like this, I feel that is simply unacceptable.
I had a few minor gripes as well -- I couldn't control the temperature of my room and it was hot every day. The room was poorly cleaned as well. My luggage tracked in a few leaf bits on the wheels and they remained on my carpet the entire visit, which leads me to believe the room wasn't vacuumed.
I am an easy going traveler and none of this would have been a serious problem if the staff would have acted like they cared. When I checked out, I made sure to let them know I was unhappy about the way the alarm was handled. The staff checking me out looked at me as if they did not care a bit. When I returned home, I filled out the survey and again explained my complaints. I did receive a kind e-mail from the manager, but that's about it.
At one time, this was the only place to stay in Cologne. There are many other fine options in the city now. I would recommend checking elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank furniguru
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear “furniguru”,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel. I am really sorry that we turned your stay into such a disappointment.

I would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory cleaning of your room as well as for the temperature control. That is surely not a standard service from our hotel. To avoid similar incidents to happen in the future we have taken this matter into serious consideration and I will immediately follow up with my team. Guest satisfaction really is the aim to achieve.

Concerning the fire alarm, I understand of course that it was an unpleasant and confusing surprise for you being suddenly woken up in the early morning. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused. For sure you will understand that due to security reasons we had no alternative except evacuating our guests and staff until the fire fighters had checked the cause of the alarm. In this case it was a false alarm due to a pressure sensor of the sprinkling system. In our view, it is always better to protect our guest against all risks than to blame ourselves afterwards for not having completed all necessary provisions. But you are completely right that the handling of such a situation must be well organized, trained and in particular, give our guests the feeling of being safe in our hotel. It really is comprehensible that such a situation emerges great nervousness when being roused from sleep. Please be assured that our staff is trained on a regular basis how to handle such a situation.

In all guest rooms and in all public areas you additionally can find emergency plans that show you the fastest exit way to get out of the hotel in case of an emergency. We recommend having a look at these plans when checking into the room.

I hope you will consider staying at our hotel again. I really do. And we will try to make up then for your recent disappointment. In case you wish to have more information please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here whilst attending a seminar in cologne with a colleague for 1 night. The room was small. oppressive and tatty. The reception staff aloof and unhelpful and I got charged twice, once paying cash upon leaving and to my surprise also on my card which required registry to book. The breakfast was OK.

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, look for another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ellbeeee
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear “ellbeeee”,

I regret that your stay was not up to your expectations.
From what I can gather from your comments, you stayed in one of our non-renovated classic rooms. These rooms will shortly undergo renovation works, which are due to start as soon as the construction works of the new extended part of the hotel have been finished.

We sincerely hope that you will not judge us on this particular experience and that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at a future date. Please accept our apologies for all inconvenience. You may rest assured that it is never our intention to annoy our guests and that the incident that you got charged twice represents only an exception. I have taken your feedback very seriously and will discuss the several points with the respective department heads.

If you so wish to plan a return trip, please contact our Reservation’s department personally who will be more than happy to assist with your booking arrangements.I sincerely do hope that this experience will not affect your confidence in our services and in our hotel.

Once again please accept our apologies.
With best regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Located next to the marvellous Cathedral this luxurious hotel offers a perfect location (2 min walk from the central railway station), beautiful views and peaceful relaxation.
Our room (Corner Suite) was very spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The view to the cathedral and square was very beautiful. Worthwhile mentioning is the fact that for such a windy, cold and rainy weather as it was during our stay, our room was very warm and cosy.
The second thing that deserves mentioning is the generous breakfast. First of all, it was nicely organized in the restaurant area on the ground floor facing the cathedral and the square. Second of all, there was an amazing choice of food for all tastes and preferences, and a chef at hand cooking fresh omelettes and eggs exactly the way you want it.
Also the staff at this hotel was excellent, especially the concierge who was very friendly and helped us with storage for our bags.
There would be two critical points about this hotel. First one, there is no free WiFi in the rooms available. One would expect these days from such a luxurious hotel to have free internet access in your room!
Second point, about the shower – the little glass wall which is supposed to protect the bathroom from splashing water is far too small. As a result the bathroom floor was flooding. Generally this kind of showering, standing in a bathtub, is a sign of the past and needs upgrading for the next generation of guests.
Tip: Although you can also dine at the hotel, we would strongly recommend you to venture out into the old town and sample some traditional local food in one of the beautifully old Kölner Brauhauses. We tried out the Gaffel-Haus which serves some very yummy and inexpensive local dishes.

Dear “Sensula”,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel.

I am absolutely delighted to know that you found the facilities and service to your complete satisfaction. Guest experience is so important to us. Furthermore, you may rest assured that we have noted your comments concerning the internet access and installations in the bathroom, which we will take into consideration for the future

Hoping to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Best regards

Reviewed October 31, 2012

That´s how a traditional carneval song in Cologne starts. If you want to visit Cologne best is to stay somehow downtown. One of the scenic hotels is the Dom Hotel. Just oposite of the Dom, infront of the museums, around the corner of the shopping street and just a little walk away from the downtown district near the river - ideal for a short business or weekend visit. The rooms are furnished in an art-deco style, the tiles in the bathroom could need some replacement, but whenever you wanted to use golden tabs, you will find them here. The breakfast is a little bit expensive, but the big mug of milkcoffee is worth of it, better than the Starbucks around the corner. One recommendation would be to have it´s breakfast in the MANUFACTUR, a 10 minute walk in direction of 4711.
Most of the waiter are very young, but very responsive. There is a guard on every level, so you might feel very safe during your stay.

Room Tip: Take the rooms that are facing the Dom and the museum

Dear “TimeriderShanghei”,

Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel.

The location is indeed exceptional: We are directly connected with all interesting sightseeing and shopping points.

It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were overall satisfied with our staff and the level of service offered. We were happy to forward your positive comments to our team.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Dom Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

The best location in town: facing one of the worlds most beautiful cathedrals and being close to museums, sights and Cologne’s typical bars.
At the hotel very friendly staff members received us: They parked our car and helped us to orientate. Our room was spacious, cozy and clean and our beds were comfortable. The small but well assorted bar looks on to the cathedral and has a nice atmosphere in the evenings and good service. I liked the soft sound of the Cathedrals bells ringing late evening and early morning - absolutely not too loud!

At the check-in I shared a family detail: my grandfather stayed at the “Dom Hotel” for his wedding night in 1930 (!) and it happened to be my husband’s and my wedding anniversary that day…
When we came back from town we were surprised with a delicious fruit basket and a bottle of sparkling wine in our room – courtesy of the hotel. Thanks for that little detail – it made us feel special!

Dear “7R2H”,

Thank you very much for your excellent review of our hotel. We are glad to hear that we could contribute to turn this year’s wedding anniversary into a special one. It always makes us happy to hear that we could give travelers a good time. We are honored and proud that you gave us the highest rating. Thank you once again! We certainly look forward to your return visit, hopefully soon!

Best regards,