“Unbeatable view and comfort”
Review of Dom Hotel Koeln

Dom Hotel Koeln
Ranked #88 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
London, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable view and comfort”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is 2 minutes walk across from the station, opposite the cathedral and a couple of minutes walk from the Rhein so it couldn't be more ideally located.

We stayed in room 301, a large, comfortable and immaculately clean executive double room. We had an unrestricted view directly onto the cathedral, which was just a few feet away. It was fabulous to listen to the bells in the early evening and late morning and to have all that wonderful architecture as our panorama. My husband is partially disabled and loved the low-sided bath as it made it easy to get in and out of the shower. He also gave the mattress a thumbs up.

There was a bit of noise from the square outside at night although the glazing cut a lot of it out.

Breakfast wasn't included in our package and we didn't try the restaurant or bar - mainly as that area was incredibly smoky but there are so many fine eateries within short walking distance that this wasn't an issue. All of the staff were friendly and helpful - even though we clearly weren't 'high end' guests we received the same level of attention and courtesy.

All in all it was definitely a five star experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nics218
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear “nics218”,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and posting your feedback here on TripAdvisor. Your review speaks for itself, thank you very much!

We are certainly eager to welcome you back at the Dom Hotel.

Kind regards

Riccardo Giacometti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Dom Hotel, just feet from the cathedral in the center of Cologne. My room was very clean and modern, and the bed was quite comfortable. The buffet breakfast had a reasonable spread, but it wasn't the most intuitive (more about presentation than functionality, as with much of the rest of the hotel). This would have been a five-star stay, but the hotel does not have a gym. I spend 100 nights per year at Starwood Hotels, and this is the first one I've stayed out without a gym. I spoke to the general manager, who said that a gym (or at least the plan for a gym) is in the works. Hopefully it will be complete by the time of my next stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank zshonig
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear “zshonig”,

We are pleased to read your impressions and to receive your positive evaluation. Thank you!

Certainly the hotel is perfectly located directly in the city center, so all the points of interest as sightseeing, shopping, restaurants etc. are in walking distance. Indeed, the fact that the hotel does only offer a local gym in walking distance is not that comfortable. But as I said, we are working in it with great effort.

We are happy to hear about your plans to come back to Cologne. If there is anything I can assist you with in the meantime, just let me know.

Best regards

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Location is superb, directly opposite the cathedral. Service impeccable and room was clean, comfortable and cosy.
Breakfast buffet comprised an extensive range to cater for most tastes , includes an omelete made to order section.
Service was efficient and friendly and the bar remained open and serving as late as we wanted. Would return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear “runoutofideas”,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are honored to receive such a nice feedback from a frequent traveler as you. Your commentary is really motivating for all of us here at the Dom Hotel. We hope you will soon book your next stay and we will do our best to make you feel at home again.

Thank you again for your nice words.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed Sep. 4-6. The Lady GaGa team was also staying at the same hotel, so security was a little tighter than normal. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service and elegant qualities of the hotel. I got one of the recently updated rooms and it was wonderful. The air conditioning functioned well but you never heard it turn off and on it was so quiet. The bathroom was as good as it gets. The tub was a little confusing in that it had an electric switch that opens a walk-in function. I didn't see any reason to close it. Mid-shower the water shut off because I had not closed the side of the tub. It was easy to fix by pushing a button and we all got a laugh out of it. The fixtures look like something from a showroom and the lighting throughout the room was dramatic and upscale.

There is nothing nicer than sitting in the well-appointed outdoor area and having a drink at night with the Dom Cathedral lit and glowing. I will stay here from now on. It's close to everything I need: train, restaurants, the old town, shopping. The staff was very attentive and knew me from the moment I checked-in. It is by far, not the cheapest hotel in the city, but worth every dollar/euro I spent.

One last thing: I travel frequently and find hotels putting "junk charges" on the bill for all kinds of services I didn't want or ask for. This hotel did not do that and I appreciate it.

Room Tip: I got a room facing the rear of the building. Never heard a sound from outside. Slept very well.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenstone
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear “Glenstone”,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. I appreciate very much that you took the time to write a few words about your experiences and shared them with us. Many thanks for the good score you gave us.

I am glad that you had a good time and we are happy to hear you liked our new rooms with the modern design. My staff will also be pleased to hear your words. I hope you will soon book your next stay at our hotel.

Thank you for your warm words! Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel. I usually wait until I leave to review but I love this hotel so much I had to review it now. First, its in the best location you could possibly ask for. I can look outside my window and see the beautiful cathedral. Its close to shops, restaurants, bars..etc. The hotel itself has an old feel. But that doesn't mean that the rooms are tired looking at all. My room is a large size compared to most hotels in Europe. Its very clean, comfortable and the little things that make a hotel amazing such as complimentary bottles of water, air conditioning, robes and slippers. I even have a large balcony that I share with everyone else on the 1st floor. There are tables and chairs to sit outside right in front of the cathedral. I wouldn't ask for a better view. The staff at the front desk are very friendly. The breakfast buffet is great. I LOVE the little jars with yogurt and fruit. What a great touch! I am only staying at this hotel for a few days but wish I was staying a lot longer. I've been in many hotels in Europe and this is one of my favourites. I would definitely come back and stay here again and recommend it to everyone. Its totally worth it.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the Cathedral on the 1st floor so you can walk out on the large balcon...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Aloha1977
Dear “Aloha1977”,

We LOVE your review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Considering that you have seen a lot of hotels, we are more than happy to hear that the Dom Hotel is one of your favourites and that you felt comfortable staying with us.

We definitely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon again to Cologne!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Me and my boyfriend decided to go to Cologne for a long weekend. After reading all the positive reviews for this hotel we couldn't quite believe our luck when we found such a good deal for it! I cannot fault the hotel it is by far the best looking one in Cologne and has the best location. It is next to the Cathedral and within walking distace from the shops, restaurants and the train station. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the staff are extremely helpful and I don't think it could get any closer to the Catherdral! My favourite part of the hotel was the champagne bar outside, it was lovely just sitting on the comfy sofas watching the world go by and taking in the breath taking view of the Cathedral. I would highly recommend staying here if you are going to Cologne, I know that when I go back I am definately staying here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Thompson,

Thank you very much for your excellent review of our hotel. We are honored and proud that you gave us the highest rating. Thank you once again! We certainly look forward to your return visit, hopefully soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Dom Hotel is situated in a priceless location, right by Cologne cathedral.

The rooms are homely, the food tasty, but more than anything else, the staff really try to make you feel welcome - and get all of the basics right. An example of this is how when you have stayed at the hotel or a couple of weeks, all of the staff greet you by name.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Julian G
Dear “Julian G”,

Thank you very much for your outstanding comments on your stay, especially for the nice remarks on our team! Your posting reflects the experience we are aiming to provide to all of our guests. I am very happy to see that you had such a great time! We are certainly looking forward to welcome you back.