“Surprising Collection of Impressionists”

Wallraf-Richartz Museum
Ranked #10 of 242 things to do in Cologne
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This impressive museum houses artwork covering every genre from the 13th century through the 19th century.
Puget Sound
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Surprising Collection of Impressionists”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Wallraf is a modest stroll from the Hbf and Dom. The building and staff welcome the visitor.

Because we are particularly interested in Impressionists, we were especially pleased to discover a good Monet, a very nice Van Gogh, and about a half dozen Cailebottes as well as a Sisley. The same floor included some more recent German work that left us wishing there were more.

The balance of the collection is solid. In all, well worth a visit.

Visited January 2013

49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“1912-2012 exhibition”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very interesting exhibition, it gives you an insight into relatively lesser-known chapter of modern European art. Permanent exhibition is very interesting too, very thoughtfully presented.

Visited December 2012
Seattle, Washington
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Good Medieval collection”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Don't miss the Lochner's in this collection as both his "Last Judgement" and "The Madonna in the Rose Garden" are here among the better known Durer and Cranach. Good book store for German language (only). They have some good traveling exhibits, so check there website to see if something appeals. The area around the museum also is a nice walk with some lovely building mainly from the 17th Century.

Visited October 2012
Amersham, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Excellent selection”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went to the Wallraf towards the end of a long day of walking, not expecting it to be as big a place as it is. Sadly my feet failed me after looking at the 19th & 20th century paintings in the basement and the excellent 1912 exhibition on the top floor.

It did mean that it was rather expensive as I only looked at 2 of the 4 floors, but I was happy as the quality of the paintings on display was very good and included many of my favourite artists. Everything is well-displayed and labelled in both German & English and, had I started earlier in the day, I would have considered it good value for money.

Like several others have mentioned, there was one thing that stopped me giving it 5 stars - the officious people at the cloakroom. I wasn't allowed to take in what I considered to be a normal sized denim shoulder bag which meant I had to stuff things like my purse & 2 pairs of glasses in my coat pockets & carry the essential medication I have to have on me at all times in a plastic bag. Not impressed. I was also not impressed by the fact that I was told to leave my camera in my bag as no photos were allowed, only to find the whole world & his wife taking photos in the basement gallery.

But, apart from that, I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in paintings - though I would suggest you avoid the shop which I thought vastly overpriced compared to others in Europe.

Visited December 2012
Arlington, Virginia
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Nice art museum”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A nice place to spend a few hours for art lovers. We saw an excellent collection of paintings by Monet, Degas, Cezanne, Van Gogh, and Picasso, among others. We also enjoyed a nice lunch in the museum's cafeteria.

Visited September 2012