“Excellent food, not so good staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante Da Damiano

Ristorante Da Damiano
Ranked #125 of 2,347 Restaurants in Cologne
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Nord
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent food, not so good staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were warned from reviews about the staff, but surprising enough we did experience something completely different....... at least at the start......

We had no reservation but they did had place for two, the staff started of very friendly but during our stay they lost more and more interest which is a big shame because the food was excellent.
Place is ok, not very cozy but absolutely not bad. Be aware if you are on budget do not go here.

A good choice of wines but they are at least EUR 30

We started with Scallops and Salmon, both were excellent and as main we both had chosen for pasta with truffle. Absolutely magnificent, just perfect.

I am very spoiled with Tiramisu and although I was not planning to go for it, the waiter convinced me to try it. This was food wise the only disappointment. The Tiramisu was topped with a layer of about a halve centimeter of chocolate powder with the first bit, my mouth was filled with chocolate powder and I was close to suffocating.
To save the desert I had to scrape of the rest of the powder. I was not impressed. When someone of the staff asked how desert was ( I think it was the owner), I told him that I was not impressed with the desert and the topping was just too much.

I did not get any reaction and he just ignored me.

Maybe this style of Tiramisu is not my thing, that is always possible but not getting any response brought the whole visit a bit down.

Be sure you are prepared as the place is still good if you like good food.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

The Hague, The Netherlands
“Excellent address!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We found this restaurant by accident whilst staying at the Hotel Cristall, very close by. Very small, reminiscent of home but the walls are hung with mirrors so looks bigger than it is. Lovely intimate atmosphere and we chatted with other diners. The Italian food was excellent, not cheap but beautifully served and just the right amount. Very classy place all round. Waiters spoke good English and were friendly but discreet. Wish it were closer instead of a 3hr train ride!

Visited November 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great food! Great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was just looking for a nice restaurant at Marzellenstraße and ended up entering Da Damiano. Thank the gods!
Everything was just great. Very nice atmosphere, cool decoration and AMAZING food.
Try the baby calamaris as entrée, delicious. And the tiramisu was among the 3 best I've ever had... How I wish I lived nearby Da Damiano, so that I could go there from time to time...
Staff is great as well.
Only negative point is that inside the restaurant the menu was written on a mirror (very cool, but hard to read from my table).
Anyway, a place not to be missed by gourmets.

Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
“lovely italian - but not cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

It was more expensive than its equivalent in London would be - but we were on hols and liked the fact it was a short walk from the hotel and that the concierge recommended it. The food was very good, fresh and seasonal, the staff were extremely helpful and all in all - we had a lovely family celebration.

Visited April 2012
Rio de Janeiro
“Close to the Cathedral, a good break from the sausages and beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

While I'm not a big fan of german food, I admit they make the best sausages and beer in the world. But after a few days, you're ready for something else. Considering that GErmany is filled with Italian imigrants and italian restaurants, there are many great options, and this is certainly one of them. Of course it helps to speak to them in italian, but you'll definitely eat well here. They had great antipasti, pasta with truffles and excellent desserts. Also good wines by the glass as well.

Visited April 2011