“Great little hotel, ideally situated.”
Review of Hotel Domspitzen

Hotel Domspitzen
Ranked #29 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
York
“Great little hotel, ideally situated.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late, yet were warmly greeted. Staff are extremely helpful and polite.
Our room was at the top of the quaint hotel and although the bathroom was quite small the shower was large.
We found the whole hotel exceptionally clean and were pleasantly surprised to have fresh towels each day.
The location is excellent, close to the main train station and the magnificent Cathedral. As the hotel is central everything we wanted to see and do was within walking distance, but there is the rail system if we hadn't have wanted to walk.
We will definitely be recommended Cologne and this hotel for a city break to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank SaraaMoo
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear "SaraaMoo",

thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to read that you liked it so much with us and you will recommend us.

Many greetings to New York,
your "Domspitzen"-team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is fantastically located. It is a 3 minute walk from Cologne HBF and a 5 minute walk to the Dom. It is a great base for exploring Cologne.
First impressions were good; a helpful member of staff checked us in and offered maps of the city. The room; although not exceptionally large, was clean and comfortable. It offers nice little quirks such as chocolate on the pillows and cake in the room. The breakfast was plentyful and tasty with the offer of freshly cooked eggs. Would recommend and stay again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna F.,

thank you for your positive rating. We are pleased that you enjoyed our welcome, your room and also our breakfast. Nice to read that you would visit us again. So, see you next time;)

Greetings from Cologne!
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was a big disappointment given some of the other reviews on this site. Thank goodness this was not my first visit to Cologne or I would have got a terrible impression of what is actually a very nice city.

When I arrived, the receptionist, an older woman, treated me as if I were some kind of tramp:

1) Asking for payment upfront, despite the booking being guaranteed with a credit card. Unusual. (Typically hotels don't ask for advance payment unless they are afraid you will run off once you see the room.)
2) Following payment, telling me I would need to pay an extra city tax. Backed down after I told her I've stayed at other hotels in Cologne, using the same booking site, and any taxes are included in the advertised rate.
3) Telling me that my room was not ready (it was 1pm) and I should go away for 2 hours. This was not true: as soon as I sat down, a room magically became available.

However, the room in question turned out to be tiny, without even its own bathroom: again, unusual for a 3-star hotel. I would consider this hotel more like a hostel actually and not worth the €60/night I paid for it. There was no elevator, and my room was not cleaned while I was there. Also, the Wifi connection kept dropping, so this place is not a good option if the Internet is important to you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear "disherwood",

we are sorry that your stay with us has led to misunderstandings. We would like to respond to your comments, to clarify these misconceptions:

to 1) You’ve booked a "prepaid" rate, so the room was already charged to your credit card before arrival. We only asked for a signature on the relevant document.
to 2) Cologne requires a bit longer a "city tax". Hotels are required to collect them from their guests. Of course it may be that your last stay in Cologne back is a bit longer, so you don’t had to pay “city tax” last time.
to 3) Our check-in time is 15:00 and so communicated in all portals. That your room was still clean, had absolutely nothing to do with magic, but had to be checked first.

Your room, a standard room with a separate bathroom, you had booked yourself to a special rate (prepaid). Of course, a standard room with private bath or a superior room can be booked - so you were free.

Your statement that there is no elevator and your room was not cleaned, isn’t true. We’re cleaning every room every day.

We put great importance to the opinions of our guests, it always give us a feedback, where we can make improvements. We would have pleased us very much in your case, you would have asked us already in place on the individual points, so that misunderstandings would not even occurred.

Best Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I only stayed for one night in May 2013 before moving to the Dorint for the Interzum trade show - I would rather have stayed here than have moved.
This hotel has a few things that are in its favour:

1 - great location - a two minute walk from the Koln HBF station which means you can get anywhere with ease. It is also on a side street which means there isn't too much traffic noise at night - the rumble of the trains is hardly noticed.
2 - clean and tidy given the rate I was charged - my single room was small, but let's be honest, how much time do you want to spend in your room? The rate was also inclusive of breakfast (I think I paid EUR 67 for the night which is a really good deal by German standards).
3 - The breakfast was fantastic - far better than the EUR25 breakfast at the Dorint.
4 - Free WIFI - I did battle with the connection from my room, but in the public areas it was much better.

When I return to Cologne I would be more than happy booking myself a room here again. It’s good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Dave,

thank you very much for your nice review. Nice that we have done so well in comparison, which makes us very happy. We would be happy if you visit us again and wish you a good time until then.

Regards from the "Domspitzen"
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed with my boyfriend at this nice hotel last February. The room was huge, very clean and comfortable though it was a bit kitsch (pink everywhere and some funny cushion). It had two bathrooms on the room, one of them with bathtub and its shower (it was excellent: very hot water for the cold winter).
But the greatest thing about the hotel is its breakfast. It was the best I ever had! Lots of different cheese, juicies, youghurts, cereals, smoked salmon, cold meats and everything you can imagine. If you like really good breakfasts, this is definitely your hotel!
Tee staff was very friendly and helpful! And the location is good: it's close to the church and the square though it's on the other side of the train station. I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear "SandraL L",

thank you so much for your nice review. It shows us once again that we are on the right track. Stay loyal to us and visit us again, please...

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed two nights in May 2013. Everything was very nice, especially their breakfast which was excellent and included made to order eggs on top of all the other selections.

Rooms are small-ish but ok. Ours was clean and comfortable, on the third floor overlooking the street. With the window open you could vaguely hear some overhead announcements from the station and passersby in the streets but it did not affect our sleep. Based on other reviews I expected a phone booth sized bathroom but while small, it is clean, updated and functional.

The hotel, as mentioned in other reviews is easy to find and close to the train station. Just be sure to exit the Breslauerplatz side.

The only wrinkles were the still out of order lift and the fact that the desk want you to leave your room key with them before you go out. A few times we were left waiting at the unattended desk for a few minutes upon our return to the hotel for access to our key. But these are minor issues. I would not hesitate to book here again.....it is a good location if you want to explore the old town area of Cologne. And the breakfast and service were great!

• Stayed May 2013
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear "Seagr112",

thank you for your almost exclusively positive feedback. That our guests can leave their keys, is primarily for their own protection - how quick a key gets lost...? That you had to wait a little one time or another, we are sorry.

Nice to read that you otherwise like us very much. Visit us again soon!

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We booked this hotel based on the reviews I readbabout it in Tripadvisor, I like to research before I book our room for four nights from booking.com! , we took a train from Frankfort airport to Cologne. One small advice I learned from previous reviews: in the station get out of the station on the back entrance ( not the one facing the Dome), near platform 10, then cross the road , turn left and go straight for about 30 seconds, cross the first street on the right to reach the metro entrance, then turn right and you will see the hotel in frount of you on the left side.
we arrived late at night but our room was ready and we were given a room on the ground floor because the lift was being repaired.
The first impression is feeling at home!  The staff is really friendly and help you in whatever you need by a smiling face. we were given a map on check-in and the receptionist pointed out all the landmarks and how to find them. They also go out of theirvway to find addresses for you, call taxies, etc,etc...
The room was a bit small for a triple room (but it was no problem for us), facing a small , silent backyard,  beds were comfy and the room was clean, there was two little slices of cake and a chocolate on the bed waiting for us when we arrived..a really nice touch and tasted good too! The bathroom was small but the towels and the shower were quite clean, although it smelled a bit like not completely dried towels.
Free wifi internet in the entire hotel worked very well, you should ask for wifi pass for as many devices you have.
Breakfast was plentiful and lovely, all fresh meats and cheese, bacon and eggs, ham and cheese, yogurts, cereals, fruit, fruit juice....  you can't really ask for much more. They even served breakfast one hour earlier for us on our departure date sice our flight was in the morning.

I recommend this hotel to all those looking for a second home in Cologne, and I stay in this hotel anytime I return to Cologne.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sorush
Domspitzen, Manager at Hotel Domspitzen, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Sorush",

"The first impression is feeling at home!" & "a second home in Cologne" make us speechless. Thank you so much for your positive review. (The thing with the towels we naturally go to the bottom ...) We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again soon in Cologne and with us. Until then, all the best and greetings from Cologne,

your "Domspitzen"-team!