“small,nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Domspitzen

Hotel Domspitzen
Ranked #27 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at hotel on 8/29/2012 for 1 night. The location is very good right near the train station and the Cathedral, and most things are within walking distance in Cologne.
Parking is secure down the street 10 euro/day, wifi is free and decent. rooms are very clean,
bathroom however was minuscule.
Our room was on the second floor which in truth is the 3rd .This site of the building does not have an elevator so my husband had to drag our luggage all the way up using the stair wells that were somewhat shabby and narrow. we were advice to use the other side elevator but it was even worse since it stops on the 4th floor and regardless you have to carry you own luggage.
The other down side is it is no ac and it was a hot summer day I requested for a fan and they provided me a pedestal fan which was so noisy so I had to turn it off . We had to sleep with the room windows open ,fortunately it was a pleasant night . I
Breakfast was outstanding, a huge selection of cheeses, meats, veggies and home made jams plus freshly cooked eggs, really top notch with perfect food presentation.

Room Tip: Ask for the side with the elevator and not overlooking the front road.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank larisa_9
There are newer reviews for Hotel Domspitzen

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My Boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel Christmas 2011, December 20th-23rd. It was in a good location right near the train station and the Cathedral, and most things are in walking distance in Cologne and we got to see all the beautiful Christmas Markets.
The hotel, yes it is small but we found it to be more cosy, the double was a two twins together but you find that in most places! Once we worked out how to turn on the radiators it was warm and lovely and good to relax in when we'd been out all day! We always felt comfortable in the hotel, going in and out and at breakfast time, which personally to me means something. I liked the decor, and they made an effort for the season; biscuits & sweets on display at reception if I recall.
The staff were simply amazing, always friendly and helpful and didn't mind when we were the last to check out on the 23rd when they were closing down for the holiday! Rooms were always clean. Breakfast service was great! We loved the good selection and also the cooked foods were delicious! We had scrambled eggs with ham most mornings and I don't think I've had any to compare since!!

All in all, we are planning to return to Cologne at Christmas in the future (& maybe another time of year!) and have already decided where we'll stay! Definitley would recommend!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dina C
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Overall a very good stay. Extremely friendly and helpfully staff, great location just 5 minutes from the main train station and only 10 minutes to the main shopping center. Rooms are small but everything works including a very powerful shower, a must for me. As has been previously said everything is on the small side, so I don't recommend it for a longer stay as it can become a bit frustrating bumping into everything, especially my single room which was no more 6 paces long. Breakfast was outstanding, a huge selection of cheeses, meats, veggies and home made jams plus freshly cooked eggs, really top notch for such a small place. Good value for money considering the location and the city it is in.

Room Tip: Take a look before you pay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Friendly staff good variety breakfast. Old bldg but well kept. This is a standard mid range European hotel so that means small rooms, smaller bathrooms, small lifts and typically no air conditioning. If you are from US/ CAN or Oz come with zero expectations and be pleasantly surprised.Parking is secure down the street 10 euro/day, wifi is free and decent. Train is across the street. Quiet if your room is on top floor facing side street on a weekday.Dom is 5 min walk as are many restaurants.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms facing side street ( the street the hotel lobby is on) quiet and sunny
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D C
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Rooms are not air-conditioned in this hotel and if you are travelling in summer, situation will be sorry, so please be aware.

The website on which I reserved this hotel had described it as a 'hidden gem' and the room was a 'superior single room' but I think it was completely misleading as the room I got was a very small (there was not enough space even to keep my luggage so I had to open it on the floor and jump over it when I had to walk). Since there was no air condition and it was a hot summer night I requested for a fan and they provided me a pedestal fan which was so noisy so I had to sleep with the room windows open but sleeping was just impossible as the outside road was so noisy with some drunk louts riding motor bikes. And the bed was so small and the bed sheet was so rough so I could hardly had any sleep for 2 nights.

When I complained this to one of the guys at the reception he informed me that 3 star hotels were not air conditioned in Germany, which was not true as I had stayed in other hotels with air conditioned rooms there. They informed me that they couldn't give me another room as they were fully booked.

At the outset it looked like a cheap Chinese guest house with its Chinese designed wall papers. The pictures shown in some hotel reservation websites must have been taken many years ago as the hotel looked run down.

The breakfast was quite different to other hotels as they served some canapé style foods but how could you enjoy a breakfast after a sleep-less night?

This hotel was a terrible mistake and thank god I stayed there for only 2 nights.

But I am not sure about the other double rooms and if you are travelling in winter the situation will be different. Anyway, there are some other nice hotels situated around this hotel, so why bother?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bud_Wijay
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The service at the Domspitzen is great, very friendly, especially at breakfast. There is also free wifi which they give you as many codes for as you need (essential at gamescom time!)

The lift is a bit creaky and the stairwells could have done with a refresh, but the room was pretty spacious, well furnished and had very comfy bed and pillows. The bathroom looked a bit dated, but again was clean and spacious. A pretty great stay overall. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and I can agree with the general comments.

I've been very correctly welcomed by the staff and they also seemed in other ways in for a good service.

I had a single room on the fourth floor. There is a small and rather lovely elevator (yes a lovely elevator!). I chose a room with bathroom and toilet on the outside. The room was spacious enough. There was a normal sized single bed. The room and sheets were very clean. The room also had a separate wash bassin with a mirror. There's no airco, but normally you don't need it in Köln. There was a flatscreen TV with lot's of channels.

The bathroom - very near the room - was rather small. There is one normal sized shower and a toilet. The toilet is placed in a rather unpractical way, but you can live with it. For your comfort there is provided in a bathing wrap (clean) and a pair of slippers (new).

The breakfast was very good. You can have scrambled eggs. There are croissants and different kinds of bread. Further on there you have a great choice in sandwich fillings.

The hotel is located near to the Central Station of Köln. It's a good neigbourhood. You can walk to the city center and Altstadt in within ten minutes. The city center is not known as a party place (that's on the Hohenzollernring), but you can find nice restaurants and some pubs in the neigbourhood. Easy to find, cause the city ain't that big. And I think a location near to the Altstadt is more charming than a location in the city center. I didn't have any sleep disturbance cause of the trains. The hotel is not really next to it.

i should recommend this hotel, concerning it as very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family