All reviews former church smart design ironing board minute walk single room charming hotel other hotels public transportation old town garage receptionist station rhine curtains furniture tram euro
Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a few days around Christmas in the Hoppers St Josef. Hoppers operates three hotels in Cologne - all are in converted historical buildings and feature a modern design.
We enjoyed our stay very much, the room (rather a small studio) was spacious and the bed was of very good quality.
Everything was clean and well maintained, although furniture and electric gadgets were a few years old (adapters for the “new” iPhone would be nice if you offer docks). AFAIK there is no AC.
Staff was friendly and young, but not exceptional in knowledge of the area or proactive.
The hotel is 5-10 min walking from the main station on the “off” side. Walking to the Rhine , cathedral and old town is 15 min. Area is quiet and save, the nearby Eigelstein is multi-cultural and colorful but not one of the posh areas.
We didn’t try the restaurant but the menu was promising modern bistro cuisine.

Good value, good location, big rooms, no chain, pleasant modern design. I can recommend the Hopper.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2018 via mobile

We were at a trade fair this week.
We found this hotel on Booking.com at a fair price. It’s circa 4km from the Messe so a little out of the way but it was a good well run hotel in an old and interesting monastery building with some great architecture nestled with around clean and recently refurbished rooms. The bed and bathroom were good. The staff attentive. The breakfast was lovely. We booked again for next year.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

Charming hotel, close tu Chlodwigplatz, convenient to come to downtown in 10 minutes by tram.
Former church adapted to hotel with nice equipment and hotel service.
Since travel during fair season it was little bit expensive but comparing to other hotels it has its own spirit. Recommended for single travelers.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at the other Hopper Hotels in Cologne so I thought I would try this one. I didn't arrive until 10pm so went straight to my room. It was minimal like the others but a little more unfriendly. The curtains didn't cover the windows properly so the streetlights came in, no bedside tables so I pulled a chair over and no lights that worked above the bed. I was too tired to ring down so gave up!

The breakfast room was untidy with uncleared tables. The bread to slice had run out as had the fruit salad and there was still 1 hour to go.

The 120 euro price per night plus a very poor breakfast for 13 euros is just not worth it.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2017 via mobile

Hmm ... when I arrived late on a Sunday evening, the receptionist told me he had 'absolutely no record of any booking in my name'. This has happened at other hotels
before so I didn't panic. A week before, I'd decided to arrive a day early, assuming my client would have let the hotel know, but they hadn't. Even before denying my booking, the receptionist had confirmed that there were rooms available, so the feet-dragging was unnecessary. So, he could find my booking, it transpired, but starting Monday. This was after midnight.
My room was functional but the smallest I can ever remember staying in, and I've been staying a lot in New York, where all room are small. Everything was very clever (foldy-out ironing board outstanding) but you wouldn't have got two people into the room, never mind sleeping together (I did know it was a single room on the confirmation).
The real issue with the hotel was over the wifi. I was given a code on arrival that worked on the Sunday night but had stopped working by the Monday morning. Bit of a problem for me, as I'd arrived early to run WebExes on the Monday morning. I had to walk to McDonalds for internet access and make calls surrounded by giggling schoolchildren. The internet still wasn't working when I checked out on the Wednesday, but colleagues checking in on the Monday and Tuesday were still being given the wifi password as if it was all tickety-boo, which it wasn't. They then wasted 30 minutes as I did testing their computers for faults when the problem was with the hotel. How difficult can it be to get internet working in the lobby at least? Does it really take three days?

Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business