“Exquisite, considered, delicious.”

Ranked #111 of 2,401 Restaurants in Cologne
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Nord
Description: Taku means the home of hospitality. This meaning is completely relevant in the Asian restaurant Taku in the Excelsior Hotel in Köln. Here you can experience palate teasers from the kitchen's different Far East cookery and high end culture. Head chef Nicolas Auersperg cooks his dishes with authenticity and creativity and takes his ideas from purist Japanese, hearty Chinese or well rounded Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. The Taku offers two solutions for business people: the Office-Box in two sizes, that you can either collect yourself, or have it brought to your work desk, or the weekly changing business lunch which can be eaten in the restaurant itself. For a stay full of enjoyment, the modest service team welcomes guests in the timeless elegance of the Taku on the cathedral square. Here you can indulge in speciality dishes taken from fine Asian cuisine, served with an appropriate sake, or a wine to accompany the meal.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Exquisite, considered, delicious.”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed in the Excelsior Hotel Ernst this weekend and decided to have our meal on Friday night in the hotel's Taku restaurant which we had not tried before. The restaurant is neatly tucked away downstairs by the fish river. The tables are set out in a spacious fashion so one would not really be 'overlooked' or necessarily overheard, and this creates a lovely atmosphere of calmness and relative quiet.

We chose the journey menu option - I think we chose the 6 course option where one is able to choose from a relatively limited selection of options with a 'main' course. To be honest, the food here is 'small' and designerly, not fill your face (well, at least with the 'journey' option) but this suits me just fine - when you're trying new things you might hate them and find yourself over faced with a plate full - with 6 courses it was ideal for us.

I don't remember every single item I ate - but I know that all of it was delicious and beautifully seasoned and cooked. The short rid of Wagyu steak that was the main course was cooked to perfection and blew me away with the complexity of the seasoning and flavours. The other courses I had were pretty jolly good too.

The restaurant has an excellent sommelier who was able to discuss the wine choices in excellent English and made a couple of excellent recommendations. We drank a bottle of German gewurtztraminer with the dinner - distinctive, rose petal nose and perfect for the asian based flavours. We also had some hot sake (a new 'thing' for us and it was lovely) and then had a glass of dessert wine - German again and an auslesen for me if I remember rightly.

Service was excellent, faultless. A tiny problem caused in no small part by my execrable German language (I won't say skills...) was resolved in a heartbeat with a polite apology although I promise you the fault was completely mine.

Yes, it is a pricey restaurant, but hell, it's the best hotel in Cologne and one would expect the restaurant to be comensurate with that. I cannot wait until our next visit, next December, and will be booking our table well in advance to make sure I will have it to look forward to.

• Visited December 2013

• Hebrew first
South America
“Excellent food and service but lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at Taku very much. The cooking was of a very high standard and it was my first time enjoying fusion food at this level. The service was attentive but not fussy. The only negative was that the restaurant was extremely quiet.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Aidan80
Munich, Germany
“good food, but a little expensive”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

we had our business dinner at the restaurant and i am glad i didn't have to pay.
i mean the food and the service were really good, but when we left we had to pay about 150 euros including drinks.

• Visited October 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Five star food”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

The dinner we had in Taku on 12 October 2013 was one of those experiences you will never forget. Between the menu on offer and a la carte dishes with wines suggested by the house we want from one wow experience to the next. The food was excellent. The service was even better. Asia meets Europa, all accompanied by German wines, nothing short of excellent, brilliant and at an affordable price tag. Next time we go to Cologne we will go back for more...

Visited October 2013
Tudela, Spain
“Very good Kitchen...good dishes...”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very good dishes, nice menú, excellent atenttion, a bit expensive but worthly for tasting asian food style.
Decoration is good, quiet atmosphere, nice personnel, excellent flavour.
I recommend for business or couples... It is worthly...at least once...

• Visited October 2013