“5 Degree in the outside train”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of BaseCamp Bonn

BaseCamp Bonn
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Bonn
“5 Degree in the outside train”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent 5 nights in the basecamp because of a conference I attended in Bonn.
I shared a ridiculously small room in the outside train with three other people. Everybody of us got sick during these five days because there was no heating machine.(or if there was one it didn't work) Therefore we had about 5 degree in room during night. We could see our own breath! I could have been sleeping outside in my car without turning the motor on.
I would never come back to this hostel.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Krefeld, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We checked in when the hotel was not open yet and still in a testing period. :-) First I found it strange to park my own VW Van to pay for a night in a caravan, but when we came into the big hall, we were convinced :-)
We chise one of the cheaper and smaller caravans to sleep in, but that was a bad choice. We are both not very tall but the bed was too short. So if you're taller than us (easy! :-) ), choose a bigger (and more expensive) caravan!
The showers and toilets are stylish as well and breakfast is good and filling!
Compared to the comfort of a hotel, the prices are quite high, for one night and the experiene it's o.k. - the other nights I prefer to sleep in my own van (if it's not loaded with goods) that's long enough for me :-)
Nevertheless, we really enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Invest the extra money into a larger caravan. If not, the bed is too short! :-)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just stayed at BaseCamp for three nights. Overall the place was great. Staff were helpful, the toilet and shower facilities were much better than other hostels I've visited and the breakfast was free (and pretty good). I really liked the style of the different camper vans, as well as the shared spaces for people to sit out and chat.

I was traveling by myself and stayed in one of the trains. Up to 6 people can stay in each train compartment. Luckily I only had to share with one other person, but any more would have been unmanageable. The compartments were cramped and the higher beds were difficult to access. Moreover, the compartment was very stuffy and smelly with just two of us in there - I can't imagine how bad it would have been if there were 6 of us! The trains didn't have power to charge phones etc. this was a bit of a pain, although the locker system did work well.

I would go back there, but I would prefer not to sleep in the train again!

• Stayed October 2013
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great idea, vintage campers in a big hall. Each camper has its own individual design with a small area in front where you can sit.
Included is breakfast and free wifi. Outside is a truck where you can buy good burgers (Pappsatt).
Breakfast is good.
Unfortunately, they are closed during the week in the winter period because of high heating cost.

Room Tip: If you want a 'large room' try one of the airstreams.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Freekbo
Bonn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've visited Basecamp a few times and am a huge fan. The set-up is exciting, clean and characterful. You're close to the Museum Mile and there you can find the underground transport to the center of Bonn, just 5 minutes away. Remember that you will be sleeping in a huge hall with others and sharing amenities but for the price, it's a fantastic experience. Bring your camera!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo