“Clean, Great Location and Smoking guest rooms!!!”

IntercityHotel Bonn
Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here over new years, commuting to Cologne alot. You literally walk 3 minutes through the rail station and underground pass and you're at the Hotel! Conversely 3 minutes away from the main shopping district and city center. Great great location!
Our room was facing the street, so it was quite. Two things I loved about this hotel: shower and smoking rooms. Those of us who smoke will understand how hotels treat their smoking guests. Standing in the freezing cold outside their buildings, without a proper sitting facility! Not this hotel! I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offer smoking rooms! I cannot emphasize how much this affects my rating of this hotel! The second is the shower. Really good water pressure! I guess because it is new or something, they've decided to invest in good bathroom fixtures. Because I was expecting the typical pittar patter from the shower, but no sirrie! This shower actually feels like a real shower! Fantastic! My only complain would be that there isnt a large enough tray there to hold all the toiletries. Maybe I use way too much products in the shower, because no one else seems to have this problem, but I would be nice to have a larger tray or maybe two, to accommodate those of us who need more than a bottle or two to feel clean.
The room itself was spacious, again I travel large and heavy, and there was enough room for my things and my partners! The bed was comfy, the desk was large, the t.v actually had some english speaking channels which is always a plus. The bathroom counter was also big enough to hold all my many bags of junk! So all in all I have to say the room had real value for money, so did the location!
Lastly the service. Never had breakfast here so cannot comment. The check in was super quick and they did give us both metro passes which really is a great offer! Although we didnt use it much since Bonn is a great walking city, and we seemed to be on foot most of the time! The check was was less than 5 minutes, enough time to walk out, walk into the train station and catch our train that left 15 minutes later! The receptionist seemed rather nice and cordial, but with my limited German, almost everyone seems nice!
All in all, great value for money, fantastic location, the fact that you can smoke in your room makes me give this hotel an excellent review, and the shower not being an afterthought!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EAurora

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The key message of this review is that there is finally an affordable new hotel in Bonn. This sounds trivial, but those of you who tried over the last decade to find a modern three star hotel in the Bonn area will understand why I highlight this ...

Back from my two night stay at the Intercity Hotel I can report back some good news, but also some problems:
- The hotel infrastructure is modern, state of the art and corresponds to what one is looking for
- The rooms facing the railway station are more noisy than those facing the street. The policy of the hotel is to sell those on the street side as "Business Rooms" for a 10 Euro Premium. I stayed in the "Standard Room" and slept well, although you can hear the railway announcements...
- The breakfast buffet is of good quality and constantly refilled
- A particular benefit is the free ticket for the public transport system in the Bonn region. This would cost you 7.50 Euro per person, so this is real added value.

I experienced, however, also some deceiving moments in this hotel:
- A day pass for using the WLAN is offered for 14.50 Euro. This is simply out of context and blatantly outreageous. I was the only German in a group of international visitors and I felt very sorry that in my home country hotel chains still follow such an inadequate service approach (I experienced what young people in Germany nowadays call "fremdschämen" ...). For those who use wireless conections, the Vodafone Network worked perfectly fine in my room ...
- When I asked the receptionist in a quiet moment about the possibility to extend my check-out deadline by one hour, she told me without any further checking that this is not possible unless I pay an extra charge. Again, I do not think this is state of the art customer care in a serious business hotel.

All in all I can recommend the hotel for its infrastructure, but in terms of customer care even the otherwise rather basic Ibis hotel in Bonn scored better than this one ...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Zaventem
Reviewed November 24, 2012

A real pleasure this hotel: lovely room facing the street, quiet as can be. Everything brand new and sparkling. Good breakfast with wide range of food. Staff pretty good as well. Couldn't find a thing to fault.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ahti
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The locals told me this was "a new hotel (2012) right next to the railway station". It was certainly handy next morning for taking the train into Cologne and I need not have worried about being next to the noisy tracks thanks to effective window insulation. Smart, clean, generous breakfast and courteous staff. Just a couple of minor points: I would have preferred a more comfortable chair in the room and free shampoo. Would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: If complete silence is important then ask for a room on the street side of the hotel away from the t...
1  Thank revdarthur
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights. I didn’t get the chance to visit the town, so I don’t know how well it is linked to the interesting things around.
But I know it is well linked to Koln: first thing you see when you get out of the train- station underground passage is this hotel.
It’s 20 minutes by taxi away from the airport – about 45 euro.
Everything inside the hotel looks new and very clean. The room is big enough and looks quite nice. I slept well, without any noises to wake me up.
The people from the reception are nice, helped us with info about the trains twice.
Great breakfast – including natural orange juice, vegetables and more types of coffee. If you get up early, you will have get warm, fresh bread.
One negative side - you need to pay for wifi . I never understood why they do this in hotels internet should be free, at least in the reception area.

1  Thank CorinaMx
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A friendly staff told me that this hotel was about 5 months old. The hotel equipped with modern facilities with good buffet breakfast. However, there is no fitness facility if you plan to look for one. The hotel gave out a transportation pass which you could use to explore the city of Bonn free of charge. It is located next to the central train station which is very convenient. You can walk to explore Bonn very easily from the hotel including the birthplace of Beethoven. I would choose to stay here again.

1  Thank TripleP-Travel
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had a business trip got a free upgrade to a double room at 4th floor. Everywhere looks clean. Feel that almost as good as Hilton Bonn . The drawback is the noise if window is open. Internet is tied to one appliance only and it is not flexible to switch the same account to another computer even it is still valid. I paid 38 euro for 3 days internet but i cannot use it the 2nd day on my work laptop due to my ipod battery is flat.

Love the breakfast variety, the butter crossaint is simply delicious and ran out pretty fast. The refill is quite slow, staff at the restaurants are ok but the reception is lack of welcome smile even some coldness when i first arrived at the hotel . After 10pm it seems no one picked up the phone at reception.

Despite of the above factor. I still think the hotel is great fe its location and value. The free transportation pass is a bonus.

• Stayed: September 2012