“Loved the New Year's Party”
Review of Maritim Hotel Bonn

Maritim Hotel Bonn
Ranked #50 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed here for one night on New Year's Eve for the Schnee-ball Gala. The two rooms we had were clean with up to date furnishings and really nice bathrooms. We only stayed one night so I cannot review the housekeeping standards, but the chocolates left on the pillows were tasty! The balcony provided a nice view of the city.

The hotel was beautifully designed and had access cards to the elevators for added security. There was a pool, a gym, and other facilities, however I did not utilize them. The breakfast provided in the morning was satisfying and had good variety.

The gala itself was decent, they could have had much better entertainment. It would have been nicer had the hotel enforced a no smoking policy too. The various dancing rooms were great and offered a variety of after parties and different styles of music. The champagne and fireworks show at midnight was exciting as well!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed January 11, 2008

I stayed here one night for a business trip. I thought the hotel was not a good value for the price my company paid for the room, and I doubt I would stay here if I picked the hotel myself and were on vacation. However, overall I'd still rate this 4 stars.

This hotel is conveniently located in the business district / government quarter, and is a few minutes walk to the S-Bahn. Apart from the convenience for business meetings, there is nothing in the area and you'll need to take a taxi or the S-Bahn to see anything of interest in town.

The check-in was fast and courteous. Although I speak German, they picked up right away that it was my second language and spoke good English. It has been noted in earlier reviews that this is sometimes a problem, but I did not experience it.

The surprise plus of this visit--and the reason why I am giving this a 4th star--is that I was upgraded to a junior suite from a regular bedroom. They simply said "due to the hotel room situation today, we have decided to upgrade you to a junior suite". As a frequent travelers, I always believe that a hotel really stands out when they are far from full and upgrade people to a nicer room, and I note it here.

The junior suite is a living room and a bedroom. I didn't really need the extra space but the benefit is that it is on the club floor, where they have free drinks and snacks 24 hours a day. The furniture and bathroom were in good condition but looked old--almost like a cheap hotel that was furnished 20-30 years ago. It was average, at best.

The breakfast buffet was huge and was included in the room. I did not see the dinner buffet because it was extremely expensive (30 Euros), but if it was half as big as breakfast, it would have had a nice variety.

They had a small pool and a smaller gym. I had to giggle when I noted a sign by the pool which read "clothing must be worn in the pool area, but not in the sauna and steam room". The Piano Bar also seemed nice.

This is definitely not a 5-star hotel. Small towels, paper napkins, little things like this really make it a solid notch or two below. But the service was terrific, and the location is good if you're in Bonn on business. I would not mind staying here again if I return to Bonn for work, but I would not stay overnight while on vacation.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Jeremy N
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I've just completed a four day stay at this hotel and am quite surprised to be writing such a positive review after reading most of what was here before I went. My client booked me in here so I didn't have a choice. And things didn't start off well when I realised there was no air conditioning. What can i say? I like a cold room, even in German early winter. But Reception found me a nice quiet room where I could leave the window open if I wanted to and from there things were all smooth sailing.

ROOMS: The rooms are very large, especially by European standards and the beds are very new and comforable with feather duvets/comforters. The internet access is reasonably priced (EUR15 for 24 hours from noon to noon) and the bathrooms are large and scruplously clean, as was the entire hotel.

FOOD: The breakfast buffet is wonderful, as other reviewers have attested. The dinner buffet is a little hit and miss. Some nights it was terrific, whilst other nights it looked a bit tired. But overall it was very good and certainly plentiful both in terms of quantity and options.

LOCATION: I don't understand why people are criticising the location! It's only five or six tram stops from the hotel to the centre of Bonn and we found that the trams ran very regularly and were clean and efficient. If you are going to be very late, perhaps a cab is better, but that's the same almost anywhere in the world. A taxi from central Bonn to the hotel will be around EUR15. The tram will cost you around EUR2.50-EUR6.50 depending on whether you buy single tickets or a whole day (and the on-board machines are multi-lingual so it's easy to figure out). So no, the hotel is not right in the middle of Bonn but it's hardly inaccessible or even inconvenient to get there.

STAFF. In all my years of extensive and intensive business travel, I have never had such good service. Every single staff member spoke English, usually to an exceptionally high standard. I used every part of the hotel as I was facilitating a conference during my stay. From Reception to their conference organiser to the men who brought the water and juice, the service ethic was extraordinary. Nothing was a problem and they could not do enough to help with every request.

I need to single out the restaurant staff for a moment just to say that they truly understood the art of allowing space and time but making guests feel welcome and well looked after. Mohammed has a smile that would light up a small city, and when he said something was a pleasure he truly meant it. Maxi remembered me and my colleague every night and combined impeccable service with kind humour.

SUMMARY: OK, the Maritim is a little bit daggy. It's nautical theme is a little out of tune with its pastel and beige rooms with dark wood. The glass lifts and gold plating/chandelliers are a little "late 90s power suit" and air conditioning would be an improvement. But you know what? It's both charming and amazingly efficient, which is a rare combination. Most hotels blend together for me, and this one stood out. Having just checked into my next hotel in Dubai, I'm already feeling let down by surly service and a 'cattle drafting' mentality.

So a thumbs up from me. Bonn is a charming city and the Maritim suits it well.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank antipodienne
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed for three nights in June.
The good: Some of the locals claim that this is the nicest hotel in Bonn. It is very nicely decorated, modern, and very clean. The breakfast buffet is very good and the train is located just outside.
The bad: It is located far away from everything and the train does not always go to that station at night. Plus, taking the train every time we wanted to go anywhere, got old. The worst part was we feel we were misled about the price. We asked about the cost for 2 people ahead of time, but when we checked out, the price was almost double what we were originally quoted. Knowing that Germany usually charges per person, rather then by room, we were careful to ask the hotel for the total price for 2 people, and not per person. We were also originally told that breakfast was included but at check out told that it was not and we were charged quite a bit for breakfast for each morning for both of us, even though I did not go there for breakfast one morning. When we tried to question the charges, suddenly the person at the front desk who never had problems with English when talking to us before, suddenly couldn't speak it. If you stay here, get all prices and whats included in the price in writing before you stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank JWashingtonDC
Reviewed June 28, 2006

We're here in Germany for 3 weeks and have been in this hotel just 1 full day today. Thus far our experience here has been fantastic and we'd come back here in a heartbeat, for several reasons: We speak very little German (from a German's perspective that would be barely any) and the staff here have been extremely accomodating in either being fluent in English or finding another staff member to meet our needs if they don't understand us, the hotel is absolutely beautiful; clean and updated, they take security very seriously - this has been the ONLY hotel we've stayed at that uses electric key cards not only for entrance to rooms or suites but also have to be used to enter a floor number on the elevator...no drunks wandering around your hotel hallway wondering if your room is their's (as a quick note, several hotels throughout this area of Germany use the very old fashioned large key on a ring, ugh). The Rhine is less than a 15 minute walk from the hotel in the most beautiful park (with several playgrounds for those that travel with children as we do) I've seen anywhere in the world with the absolutely neatest playground equipment...the staff quite gladly will point the direction, the food is excellent - absolutely beyond reproach is the best way for us to describe the restaurants. The food selection is perfect for those that enjoy the finest of choices and selections and yet are perfectly capable of meeting the needs of those with simpler tastes (as our 9 year old daughter can attest) and much to our relief after 3 weeks of wursts and schnitzels and oh yes, italian, italian, italian, we were ready for some serious choices - the restaurants made our day! We just can't quite figure out why with shops, a spa, pool, beautiful updated hotel (with a/c!) this hotel in Bonn, Germany is not at least 4 stars.

8  Thank travelingmatt
Reviewed March 17, 2004

I am very surprised at the previous review because I was there for the same convention. I also only speak English, but I did not have any trouble with the hotel staff, from the registration desk, to the wait staff, to the maid who entered my room early one morning when I forgot to put the sign on the door. They were all very helpful, and understood and responded to the English and German I attempted for the full four days I was a guest. This larger hotel was definitely busy during the convention, and at times, it was difficult to find a clean table during breakfast. However, I ate very well at this hotel because the breakfast buffet is enormous and is included with your rate. Pastries, breads, at least 5 kinds of cereals with different add-ins, yogurts, cold cuts, lox, herring, bacon, eggs, meatballs, and more. The beverages (juices, milk, tea, coffee) were available as self-service within the buffet area itself. I can't imagine anyone going hungry after this feast. The rooms were very comfortable, nicely appointed, and have those lovely fluffy European comforters. Our standard room included a mini-bar. I will be staying there again in October and am happy to do so.

9  Thank sactosally
Reviewed November 16, 2003

The Maritim does not cater for English guests. I was there for a convention and my German is very limited. I try but i am not fluent.It seems as though if you are not German you are ignored.The food was terrible, we could not get a table in the restaurant despite being guests, we waited 30 minutes for a table to be cleared, despite three requests (one with the manager). We ended up leaving without dinner. We stayed two nights for dinner and three breakfasts. Breakfast was also a shamble. Two mornings in a row we could not get tea or coffee as the waitress ignored us, despite ordering in English and German.In three days I ate 3 bread rolls, some cheese and a small plate of pasta.We ordered wine in a carafe, yet somehow a carafe was only 175ml as when we asked for the rest of the wine (we had one small glass) we were going to be charged again, even though we ordered a carafe each. I may not be a "wine buff" but I know a carafe is more than one glass.The rooms were nice and very well maintained. the hotel beautiful inside.
But due to a convention taking place the whole place was chaos.If the hotel cannot cope with that amount of guests they should not hold a convention.I spoke to 4 people to get a table for dinner as no one spoke any English, and when you ask " do you speak english" the answer I got was NO, and the waiter walked away. No attempt was made to find an English speaking waiter or manager.We complained at reception and found no one spoke enough English there to handle a complaint. My german is not good and I will freely admit this, so I did try to explain in German, but I am not fluent and could not explain properly.All in all we had a pretty miserable time (the actual convention was great) but we would not go back.Two good things happened on this break to Bonn, We had a great convention and I lost a stone in weight.So thank you to Maritim Bonn, you have assisted my christmas diet!

• Stayed: November 2003