“Good place for a conference”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bonn
Gustav-Stresemann-Institut e.V.
Ranked #5 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Bonn
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 for 2 nights during a conference. I liked the ambience which was relatively laid back. There were some great gardens around the building and the service was excellent.
The coffee shop was very useful and not at all expensive though I never quite got the hang of the opening hours.
The food was superb - one of the best I've tasted in a hotel of this grade. Breakfast was like a full English with a full German so you had bacon and eggs and hash browns together with prawns, pickled herring and a wonderful array of cheeses. In fact it was probably the best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel.
I found the room I stayed in convenient but a bit small. A plus was the fact that smoking was allowed in the room although I usually preferred smoking outside.

The only serious drawback was the hotel's location which was far from the city centre and as far from the city's attractions. One doesnt get much free time in a conference so it would've been nice to be able to pop into town or see the Rhine, I did get to go to Beethovenhaus however - well worth a visit!
Pricewise - it seemed reasonable enough to me!

Room Tip: Have a drink outside on the patio next to the pond....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mark_davie_2000

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent a few nights here while attending a training in Bonn. The hotel is ideal for a business trip. My room was rather small but big enough, and both the room and bathroom were modern and had all I needed. There was fast wireless in the hotel. The staff was very friendly. The other guests in the hotel were all there for business as well, so there was a quiet atmosphere in the hotel (which is necessary since the walls seem to be a bit thin). The very best thing of GSI is the delicious breakfast with a very wide choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ekeni
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed for a week in this hotel during a business trip. The location was perfect for me, since our offices are a walking distance away from the hotel. For tourists or visitors of downtown Bonn it might me a little far from the city. Though it is close to a U-Bahn (subway) station and you can reach downtown within 15 or 20 minutes.

The hotel itself is very simple and business oriented. It's actually a conference center with rooms for guests. I stayed in a single room and had a single bed and my own bathroom. It is really small and contains only the basics (TV, wi-fi, a couple of cloth hangers and hairdryer). It's important to stress that there is no air conditioning (it has heating, I guess, but I was there in summer) or minibar (you can't store your own food/drinks). I you'd like to iron your clothes, you can borrow from the reception for free.

As everyone has already mentioned, the breakfast ist really nice and with lots of options, including for vegetarians. But the restaurant has no great options for lunch or dinner and sadly there are almost no dining options within a walking distance (you must also walk for quite a while to find a supermarket. For urgencies there is a gas station with a 24h store where you can find some snacks).

They also offer bicycles for rental for a € 8,00/day fee. It's not quite cheap, but it's worth it if you plan to ride beside the Rhein River. The hotel is really close to the river and the very nice Rhein Park

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has no singe entrance for two different rooms. You might get annoyed with the so...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveller_SAO
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here for one night during a business trip to Bonn! Booking was made via email and the staff replied promptly (When we searched availability online, it was showing no availability). The same level of prompt service in email replying was received when I reached there. Though the room was a bit small, it was very clean and it had really all the necessary things for a one night stay (flat tv, nice toilet, comfortable bed!). Free internet connection was available and the connection speed was really good. Overall, I would strongly recommend this place for anyone looking for a budget night stay in Bonn. I must also mention that the food served for breakfast was excellent, with a huge variety of choices!
Positives: Clean rooms, comfortable bed, reasonable price, excellent breakfast
Negatives: Size of the room

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank suhruthu
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Not for a romantic retreat, the institute was used for accommodation, catering and conference room.
Small rooms, but this is not important when on business, very clean and pleasant bathroom.
Free WiFi is available to all and is always appreciated (though not at high speed).
Food and bar is good, with decent selection and very good for breakfast.
The conference room that I saw was well furnished, comfortable and suitable for training, seminars, conferences etc.
Surrounding area is very quiet - if you want some night life you won't be impressed, but everything you need for a business trip can be found on site.

Room Tip: Ask for smoking or non-smoking at your preference.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt T
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was my second time at the Gustav-Stresemann Institute in Bonn. It is a purpose-built conference centre catering mainly for public sector meetings where cost is a major consideration. No corporate fat cats here. My hosts from the nearby UN Complex were running a workshop and they paid my room and meals - and I can assume that they felt that this was good value, especially compared to other hotels in Bonn, where I have stayed before.

The good points include the friendly staff. Arriving very late from Cologne-Bonn Airport, I was greeted warmly by an oldish man who was the night receptionist. The restaurant - actually more like an up-market canteen - staff were helpful and quite enthusiastic about the food they had on offer. The barman extolled the virtues of the local beer. And the two women who cleaned my room were a little defensive but warmed to my attempts to speak a few German words. So, there was a nice atmosphere. The food was really quite good, even though it was all buffet-style. They do try hard to give choice including fish and vegetarian. Another plus point is that each room has a direct dial number from outside -so I could receive calls from family and work with no problem. Wireless internet access was very good and speedy and free - so no problems with communications. The negative points mainly concern the rather small size of bedrooms and the long barrack-style corridors. However, given the small amount of conscious time I needed the room, this was not a real problem.

The conference facilities and support are excellent. We had a good-size seminar room with all the technological wizadry we needed. The refreshments included fruit as well as cakes with coffee. They are really very good at adding comforting touches to what is really basic accommodation. I would be happy to stay here any time, and I prefer it to more formal hotels in Bonn which can be a bit stifling, especially to foreigners. I should also say that the Africans in our group appreciated the relaxed and non-discriminatory atmosphere. So, well done GSI.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much the same - small. But do ask for non-smoking if you need that.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sox299
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The location is very good, very quiet area. In particular I enjoyed the breakfast, there were multiple choices. The room was small and clean, however, I had to leave the window open for a long time to get proper ventilation. I think that during warm days it will not be pleasant. The wi-fi was very slow in my experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business