“Best in Bonn”
Review of Kameha Grand

Kameha Grand
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed for one night with my young children, after a 20 hour long haul air trip, and throughly enjoyed it, even though its not really set up for families. Service was very good, although they had not put an extra bed in the room they move us to a larger one at no extra charge. The hotel design is unusual, very high tech and metallic from the outside, strangely modern/velvety inside, but it worked. The breakfast buffet was outstandingly good, with a beautiful setting including an outdoor terrace overlooking the Rhein. The rimflow outdoor pool upstairs overlooking the river was also lovely, although the children were too boisterous for other guests who were looking for peace and quiet as part of their spa sessions. Parking is efficient and spacious although not cheap. There is a great playground in the park right next to the hotel. The hotel is better suited for either a business trip, a large function (great ballroom space) or a romantic getaway, but took good care of us anyway.

Room Tip: River view on request - our room looked to the front, where construction was starting across the roa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JonB_SA
There are newer reviews for Kameha Grand

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed a few days at the oh so trendy Kameha Grand in Bonn last week. I have to say I didn't love it. Apple like stations to check in with very well meaning staff who unfortunately did not deliver. We had to ask for fresh towels every day and when the safe broke they said they were sending someone up but never did. They said they were going to book us a limo to Cologne but never did. I know these are little things and I don't usually complain about stuff like this. The rooms are a bit weird with lighting and showers that take some doing to figure out. The architecture is modern and the public areas are cavernous. Right on the Rhine for nice views and a beautiful area to walk or bike. Didn't try the pool but I heard good things about it. The breakfast was fine.About fifteen minutes Bohn central by Taxi. In short, we found the hotel well meaning but overwhelming with its trendiness and uneven service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank billyboy18
Kameha_Grand_Bonn, Manager at Kameha Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear „billyboy18“,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel!

I have to apologize for the poor service level you have received from our reception team, however we will discuss your comments with our colleagues as every feedback helps us to improve our services. The “different” light switches are part of our concept, but we appreciate your opinion.

We would be delighted to welcoming you back to the Kameha Grand Bonn!

Best regards,

Resident Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We searched for a Hotel in Bonn and finally settled on the Kameha Grand Hotel. The pictures looked good and the TripAdvisor reviews were very good, so we thought we would give it a try.

WOW!

This hotel has WOW in huge bucket loads. From the moment we walked into the foyer we were impressed. Check in was easy and informal and we were given all the necessary information about the Hotel and it's facilities.
As we opened the door to our room we both gave out another WOW! The room was spacious and 'funky'. It's obvious that a lot of design thought has been put into the rooms. This Hotel is very different.

We ate at two restaurants within the Hotel. WOW!
Yu Sushi is, as the name suggests, the Hotels Sushi restaurant. We booked for dinner on a Friday night and we are so glad we did. The food was exceptional. The chef paid attention to our individual needs (my wife is a vegetarian) and served up a wonderful meal. It wasn't cheap, but the overall value and experience was excellent.
On another night we ate at Brasserie Next Level which was also superb. The choice of meals was excellent. If you dine here you will be tempted by the breads! Really different and ever so decadent.
Both restaurants look out over the Rhine. Our experience would have been even better had it not been for the unseasonably bad Summer weather.

Finally, the staff. WOW! Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone from the moment we checked in, to the wait staff in the restaurants, to the cleaners were excellent. I can't speak highly enough about the quality of the staff. Tanja who looked after us on a few nights at the stage bar deserves a special mention for her customer service.

If there was a lesson for other Hotels to learn, it comes from the General Manager of this Hotel. He was everywhere! Whenever we walked out of our room we saw him, chatting to guests, talking to staff or in some heavy discussion with a group of people. He seemed to know all the staff and we saw him on more than one occasion listening intently to a suggestion from the staff.
Downsides to this Hotel:
A) it is about a 13 euro taxi ride from the centre of Bonn. We think the taxi ride is worth it, to have the experience of staying at the Kameha Grand
B) WiFi at 19 euro a day is a bit rich, especially as we stayed for 4 days. Some sort of multi day package would be good.

Overall, we would highly recommend ts Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside have more privacy at night
2  Thank Andrew_and_Mary

Dear Mary,
dear Andrew,

On behalf of the entire team, I want to say a GRAND THANK YOU for your wonderful review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay. Such positive words create constantly new incentives to be even better and to exceed the expectations of our guests even more.
One citation of our spirit says: „The well being of our guests is at the heart of all our doing. By creating a laid-back yet sensual atmosphere we facilitate memorable encounters with and between our guests – experiences that add inspiration and new outlooks to their lives.”

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards especially from Tanja

Resident Manager

Reviewed July 15, 2012

During the last decade of working with some of the global companies in Bonn I spent hundreds of nights in that region’s various 5-star hotels.

Several of the latter hotels were and are part of the ‘Leading Hotels’ collection, and, frankly, benchmarking the Kameha with those and top-shelf competitors in general we were underwhelmed overall with our recent first stay there.

The good bit first. We were very pleased with the staff at the hotel and felt we got friendly service at all customer touch-points. Is the Kameha a top hotel? Sure. And is it an enrichment to the hotel scene specifically in Bonn? For sure, too. But, is it exceptional on a global scale let alone worth a future detour vs. other 5-star competitors in that region? Not to us.

While the location of the Kameha is convenient particularly for the business traveler dealing with DHL or Telekom on that side of Bonn, it is also located in a rather remote business park area that still has the look & feel of ‘recent major construction site(s)’ to it. Also, though situated on the banks of the Rhine river, it would take a stretch of the imagination to call that location a particularly picturesque one.

The hotel itself clearly falls into the category of ‘designer’, but despite some nice showpieces, which quickly lose their ‘wow’ effect, ended up giving us a feeling of a designer trying too hard to impress and appear clever. To us this property is simply too much pomp and circumstance, and I just can’t shake a sense of superficial nouveau riche air about it. A total turn-off to us. In fact, we found ourselves increasingly annoyed during our stay by over-engineered details or lack of sustained substance, such as:

1. The front-desk:
a. Numerous technical issues that substantially delayed our check-in and required several employees to finally handle

2. The floors and rooms:
a. A floor hallway color scheme that would fit well in a red-light district and just made us cringe
b. Floor-to-ceiling room windows on the inner-court side offer very little protection from onlookers and force the guest to draw curtains at all hours of the day for more privacy
c. Fiddly cabinet and sliding panel / door opening mechanisms and a desk chair without a back support, which made it visually ‘cleaner’, but also a lot less comfortable and practical to use over time
d. Button clusters for the room’s various technical elements which have a cheap feel and clicking-sound and are also somewhat confusing coupled with bundles of media-related cables dangling disorderly in plain-view around the TV area and an underpowered room airco system to boot
e. Small’ish room and also bath-tub. The shower drain area also would have benefitted from a more thorough cleaning / decalcification

3. Entertainment and Dining:
a. The Japanese restaurant was good, but again not at all exceptional vs. even regional competition
b. The breakfast buffet while plentiful is also so clinical and minimalistic in appearance as to make it emotionally ‘cold’
c. The gym, especially on the strength equipment side, suffers from a very cluttered and cramped lay-out, as well as flawed machine selection

My recommendation to fellow, discerning business travelers is to drive the 20 minutes North to Cologne (Köln) center, take full advantage of the broader choice of top-hotels there and trade-in the comparatively provincial confines of Bonn for the dynamic pulse of a much more attractive, exciting and offer-rich town. For the leisure traveler, I, too, would recommend other leading properties within short driving distances from Bonn.

Room Tip: Do not take an inner-court-side room, see my review for reason why
3  Thank scooby1305
Kameha_Grand_Bonn, Manager at Kameha Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear “scooby1305”,

Thank you very much for your very detailed review and please accept our apologies for the services lapses especially at the Front Desk.

We do appreciate your feedback which I have passed on to my colleagues, as detailed feedback is the key for us to improve and reflect on our service on a daily basis.
The design in fact is purely a matter of taste; we regret that we did not meet your taste.

Nevertheless the whole Kameha Grand Bonn team would be happy if you give us another chance.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I need to qualify my review by stating up front I travel on business every week and the Kameha is convenient for work purposes. That being said I still have choice and choose to stay here if possible and available, usually 3 times a month. The hotel is truly 5 star and distinguishes itself accordingly as compared to other very dated 2 star, 3 star and supposed 4 star hotels in the Bonn area. I stay in hotels 35-45 weeks of the year so I feel I have a good and balanced view of what qualifies as a 5 star and the Kameha delivers a 5 star experience. The Kameha will not appeal to everyone for sure and that's ok, its stands out as a modern leading hotel of the world and set itself apart with its unique design, provocative contemporary inner sanctum, striking decor and high end approach to furnishing, dining and accommodation all wrapped in the most imposing and delightful position on the riverbanks of the Rheine overlooking the hills, forests and castles of the North Rhine-Westphalia region. The location and area is convenient for business Federal and Technology centres 5 mins, airport 20 mins and access to other parts of Bonn 10 mins and yes its not downtown but it doesn't want to be squeezed into a confined space. Being here regularly means I get to see the staff regularly and for me that makes a big difference, a smile, a hello, a knowing nod on what I would like to drink, eat or do make the experience go ever more smoothly. The lobby bar is my favourite resting spot after either a meal at the bar, pure Gold bar on occasions, Sushi is a little pricey and not so affordable on business rates but alternative is to go round the corner at the excellent Rohmule with a lovely Riesling (but please note it only accepts Amex), then back to the Lobby bar of course for their excellent Bordeaux. The rooms are modern, functional, high end spec items fro everything, the understand their clients and needs and adapt accordingly. The beds are much more like other 5 star rooms in the rest of the world and not hard benches as for other Bonn hotels. The showers and accessories are well detailed and the storage and TV systems are also modern and well equipped. The only one thing I miss is an iron and ironing board in my room, but they have concierge and laundry services to deal with this and the shoer shine is a nice touch. My other review is for personal and holiday and this is morebusinesss and work related, however I am here very often, for two nights a week for may weeks a year so it has to be comfortable, easy and relaxing allowing me to function, operate and enjoy, it meets all my criteria and more as a leading hotel of the world.

Room Tip: Try and get a front of hotel facing room for the auto window and blinds at a good rate, or esle be d...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dionysus3467

Dear “Dionysus3467”,

In the name of the Kameha Grand Bonn team I kindly thank you for your review as well as for all the compliments. It makes us happy that you enjoyed all of your stays at the Kameha Grand Bonn. Thank you for being with us for such a long time and for sharing your impressions with other users here on tripadvisor.co.uk.

We instantly hope you will return to Germany and stay with us again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there on multiple occasions during the entire 2011 and either you like the design, or you dont. I dont. For me the hotel lacks comfort and cozyness and is too overdesigned, pseudo-chique and too trendy - missing the class of a really amazing hotel that has sustainable qualities and charm.

Other people who stayed there had problems with overbooking policy of the hotel and late arrivals - the Kameha ruthlessly overbooks and then walks late arriving guests.

Other than that: service close to perfect incl name recognition by breakfast staff, great cocktails, etc etc.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank trvlaa

Dear „tobir“,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel! We regret that you do not like the design as well as the interior design of Marcel Wanders. The design in fact is purely a matter of taste.

I am sorry to hear that some of your colleagues had difficulties with their Arrivals and Reservations at the Kameha Grand Bonn and I can ensure that we have policies and procedures in place which are guaranteeing a seeming less reservation experience.

We are delighted to hear that you are satisfied with the service levels at that Kameha Grand Bonn.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a great time at Kameha this weekend: very trendy and cool place with great and spacious rooms, divine bar (Pure gold) and restaurant (Yu sushi club), great breakfast buffet with everything you can wish for and fantastic pool offering a nice view over the river and the green surroundings of Bonn. Staff also was most helpful and friendly! Location is a bit bizarre, in an industrial area, but then again the views over the river are stunning and it is nice to see some green fields and mountains while visiting a city. And the city centre is not far away (10 min by cab of which there are plenty, for 12-15 euros).
This is absolutely a place to visit should you wish to visit a very original, trendy place where you are well taken care off!

1  Thank Miranda P

Dear “Miranda P”,

Thank you very much for your superb review, we are always glad to get a feedback like yours.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,