“Wedding lunch- almost ruined my wedding day”
Review of Ratskeller

Ratskeller
Ranked #50 of 570 Restaurants in Aachen
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Wedding lunch- almost ruined my wedding day”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had our wedding lunch at the Ratskeller. The service was terrible- they took about an hour to start serving lunch. There was also a lot of confusion about the gluten-free and lactose-free meals we requested. Finally, the day was almost ruined when the server brought out a cake that was not gluten-free (after we checked with the management to verify that everything on the menu would be gluten-free because of my allergy). I took two bites, which made me feel sick. Thankfully, I took a Benadryl which made me feel better. Otherwise my wedding day would have been ruined. I was told that the Ratskeller was the best restaurant in Aachen, but I can say otherwise now. I would advise anyone to choose another restaurant than the Ratskeller for a wedding lunch or other special event.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Heather D

• Korean first
Heerlen, The Netherlands
“Overpriced restaurant in a fine venue”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I made a reservation for a Saturday evening at 19:30 hours. When we entered, the place was not full. After a while, the restaurant got a little more crowded, but not completely. The location is lovely (in the cellar of the old 'Ratshaus' at Aachen's market square), although the tables are very close to each other. Ratskeller offers both a la carte and a menu. We picked four courses from the menu. Before that, we got an amuse. One of them turned out to be moldy! We told the waiter and they brought us another amuse. To be clear: this is a very bad start of an evening. Because of this incident, everybody was taking extra care for us (some drinks on the house, special attention). Despite of this all, I never got the feeling that I had to do with a professional restaurant which was in control.
Some of the dishes were really tasteful, most of them were of average quality. When I drove home, I asked my self the question: would I ever go back? Then answer was a clear 'no'.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bart Z
Eindhoven
“Very nice restaurant in city centre”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The restaurant is situated in the hart of the city centre and in an interesting location. Since it is located in the cellar of the old townhouse it has a very cosy atmosphere. The staff are relaxed and easygoing. They are attentive and explain each of the courses in detail. The food was excellent. Although the choice was limited, this was no issue since all the choices were very good. Recommend the duck.

• Visited April 2013
Southborough, Massachusetts
“DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Yum! Had no idea we'd find such a delicious meal in Aachen. The atmosphere of the old town hall building really added to it. Service was excellent as well. A bit on the high end for cost but totally worth it. Would highly recommend.

• Visited April 2013
Mauriac, France
“Very atmospheric restaurant”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is quite smart bar and restaurant with some pricey dishes but very well cooked and also many local delicacies

Visited January 2012