“we recommend it”

Ranked #95 of 589 Restaurants in Aachen
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2011

As you will notice from the reviews, the one name ‘Ratskeller’ seems to refers to 2 different restaurants (which I guess share the same name). There is a fancy restaurant in the basement, and a pub-like one sort of glued onto the side of the Rathaus. This review is for the small pub-like one. It’s not a big restaurant in terms of floor space, but it is spread out over 3 or 4 floors. So it’s kind of crowded, tables squeezed in a bit, but this just makes easier to meet and talk with your fellow patrons. It does have good hearty German food served in what appears to be a medieval atmosphere. And, almost alone in the entire region – it’s open on Monday. (We had spent 2 or 3 hours, from Cologne to Aachen, looking a for a restaurant that was open!) We had lunch, sauerbraten and a mixed grill sausage. Both were excellent. While we are not experts in German food, we found the sauerbraten here to be perhaps the best we’ve ever had. We found the service to be friendly, helpful, and very efficient. I always try to stumble along with my high school German, but our waitress spoke English, so Mrs was pleased with that. I wouldn’t call it cheap – we paid 47 Euro (including 3 or 4 glasses of wine), but it’s probably a bit less expensive than most German restaurants. And the toilets were a treat – I think I’ve been in larger toilets in an airplane. But to me, this just added to the medieval ambience.

1  Thank 20minutetourist

Reviewed December 27, 2011

I was on a business trip and we at in the "Die Tonne" (The Barrel I believe is the translation) section of the Ratskeller, which seems like a section reserved for groups. Mostly pros with one major con.

Pros:
1.Location: It literally is a Ratskeller (Council's Ccellar, or a bar in the basement of the town hall)
2. The Atmosphere is awesome. At some points it became very loud, but I attribute that to the group of people I was with. The Barrel shaped room really does add to the noise though.
2. Food was really tasty, especially the deserts
3. Beer selection was limited but the beer served was great, so I did not care about the limitation.

Cons:
1. Service was slow. Let me rephrase that. Service was soooooooo slow. I know that we were a large group, but they knew for over a month were coming and should have been prepared with more waiters. At some points we were waiting 5 minutes after we asked for drinks to get them. They did make up for it by bring us two glasses each. Unfortunately, it was not just the drinks. The first table got their food and by the time they were finished eating the rest of us still had not been served. If I was not with company that I enjoyed being around the wait would have been torture, and probably would have resulted in a 3/5, but since I was with good friends it was not as bad.

1  Thank psudino
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Located in the Markt in the heart of the pedestrian only shopping area just across from the famous Dom of Aachen. Elegant and charming atmosphere with arched brick ceilings, white table clothes and otherwise modern eclectic touches. Lunch was almost 40E and we only had starters with one wine. Food was pretty good but perhaps be prepared to eat something somewhat different that you might expect from reading the description on the menu. Not so much German food as upscale Continental with some Asian choices. There were few guests that day so the service was quick and attentive. Would we go back? Perhaps.....if in the mood to spend a lot and/or wanted a good place to eat in that area.

1  Thank PithyPacky
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We came quite early so we were the first guests; within the hour te restaurant was completely filled. The staff of servants (2 girls and 1 guy) was too small for the amoutn of people, which was disappointing (we had to wait more than 35 minutes for the main course, but perhaps this is chique?)
The food and wine was delicious; we would recommend this place to everybody!

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Excellet gourmet food. Attentive staff, classy atmosphere, not cheap, but worth it for better occasions.