“Take the Waters”

Carolus Thermen Bad Aachen
Ranked #1 of 4 Spas & Wellness in Aachen
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My great grand father was from Aachen and he always took the waters. We went to the Carolus Thermen and it was quite an experience. First, the Germans don't care what any one looks like in a swim suit. So don't be embarassed. They have a dozen or so different pools with different temp waters, grotos and inside outside large pool. the experience was a little foriegn to me but we had a great time. It was fun and quite relaxing.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We ended up here after a long drive up from Luxembourg. After settling into our hotel we headed to the Thermen. Great mix of baths reminiscent of the old Roman bath designs. We were there in the middle of the week so missed the weekend crowds we had heard about. Multiple levels that keep things separated for those that shy away from nudity. The upstairs saunas and oriental baths are nudist so be prepared and their is an additional cost to use them. Also of note, these are not hot tubs but curing thermal baths so if you are looking for HOT then you will be disappointed. But, if you are looking for a soothing time with multiple options in a relatively small footprint then this is a great spot and for a good value. We left completely relaxed and ready for a great evening. Exactly what the doctor ordered!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Very nice and relaxing, great experience. After the baths you feel fresh and strong. Also you can eat there good schnitzel with chips. The price is ok. (not expensive).

Reviewed October 27, 2013

While I was staying in the Pas-de-Calais, in France, I decided to go on a week-end trip to the Carolus Thermen which was recommanded to me as the best thermal station in Europe. It was about 8-10 minutes drive from the train station where I took a cab. I was staying in an accomodation in front of it, a lovely bed and breakfast and spend my whole days there. It is worth every cent ! I spent about 7 hours a day there and never got bored.

This is the paradise for everyone that loves water, spas, saunas, hammams, etc, indoors and outdoors and of course, relaxation. The building is gigantic - 3 story high and is in a very quiet area. When entering, you are given a chip that you wear around your arm and that serves to pay for the different services and restaurants. You can eat healthy food there wearing a night coat and bathing suit and food is delicious. The first floor is animated pools, cold water caverns, hot thubs, water massaging long chairs, outdoor pool, outdoor pool with current to swim. The second floor has tanning machines, a weird reproduction of a desert where you lay and the sand and do nothing (I didn't see the point of it) and leads to the naked section of the station.

I must say as a Canadian I had never experienced this before, but everything is very clean, very professionnal and despite everyone in that section being naked, i never saw anyone looking at other persons. Within half an hour I was feeling comfortable. That section has various saunas ; I've tried one where you get covered with honey and just stay there as it melts, another one where they give you fruits to eat, one where they use some kind of leaves to produce some therapeutical smell. There is steamrooms, turkish baths, hot tubs, cold water showers, and outdoor pool, long chairs to rest and tan outside, and a room with long chairs (not the pool kind one, these are very fancy and comfortable) and a foyer where you can read or sleep while listening to the wood burning.

Everything in the thermal station is written in German. The staff speaks English - ask them for explanations of the menus for food, and the instructions for the saunas and activities because you will ruin your experience if you do not understand clearly the way it works there.

Loved it, and I wish I can go back one day !

4  Thank EliiMaud
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I went with the intent of spending 2.5 hrs and 60€ and 7hrs later you could say I was relaxed and refreshed!!

Initially when I saw the pools, I thought wow this is going to be a battle to spend 2.5hrs. I then met a lovely mother and daughter and we started to have fun when we jumped into the hot water 38 deg then into the 19 deg cold water.

Once I went to the sauna it was heaven. In the feminirium they had complimentary coffee scrubs at 12.30 which was amazing. Then in the main area there is a timetable of hourly / half hourly activities in different rooms but everything was in German and Axel a very friendly staff member patiently walked through the different events so I was lucky to try grape lotion in a 67 deg sauna and then mint with towel waving in another sauna.

I also paid 3€ extra for the desert experience where you sleep on a paper towel on sand with a pillow with Arabic music and images of sunrise to sunset.

All in all great way to keep out of the rain and experience something different. I highly recommend paying that extra for the sauna!

Word of caution, German sauna are nude so if that is uncomfortable for you I wouldn't recommend it. This was my first time in mixed sex sauna being nude but if it bothers you best to avoid.

1  Thank Paradisodream