“A wonderful and unexpected find in the center of Aachen”
Review of Hotel Marx

Hotel Marx
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aachen
Hotel Marx
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Reviewed January 3, 2010

A lovely little hotel with personalized service - parking available in a rear courtyard. Lovely decorated eating areas (breakfast buffet included), free wireless Internet, and a very comfortable room with its own bath.

This was an ideal location for exploring the center of Aachen - a five minute walk to the cathedral and city hall (and, for us, the Christmas market). One way streets make it a bit problematic to get to; but the map on site was helpful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 22, 2009

This once comfortable hotel was tired--needed major updating. The accommodations would have been tolerable had the woman manager been more hospitible.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

From the street side, the hotel looks a bit stiff and cold-faced - it is in a street of 4-5 floors high stone houses from the time around 1900 - no trees in this street. But if you come into the hotel, you see that behind the houses there is a great green quarter space with a small lake - really very nice. My room in the 3rd floor towards this backyard lake was very spacious with a very large window and also quite large bath with shower/WC. All perfectly clean and nice baroque style interiour and wood furniture. The breakfast was served in a nice baroque style breakfast room by a distinguished lady who turned out to be the owner, including wonderful home-made marmelade with large fruit pieces. The hotel has parking area in the backyard (parking closed 22h00-8h00), free WiFi and is located only 500m from Aachen cathedral and from main station in a calm side street in a nice residential area with stone houses built around 1900 - nice corner restaurants there. The hotel is in such a house from around 1900, but is a has a new elevator.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Flyer31
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We stayed at Hotel Marx for a small "culture trip" to Aachen over the weekend. Although it has quite a number of rooms it is still family run, and the owner herself gave us many good advises (restaurants etc...) during our stay. We had a nice big double room with old-fashioned furniture. The television had only 13 channels, but well, we did not come to Aachen for watching TV. However, there was free internet access with WiFi in our room. The major advantage of the hotel was, that there were about 10 parking spaces in the backyard (where there were also beautiful Mandarin ducks running around!), otherwise parking in the center of Aachen would have been very difficult. The breakfast had everything what we wished for, at the second day, we got even a fantastic apple pancake from the owner. There was also a public fridge, where you could just take out cola, beer, chocolade etc. even during the night. They are trusting the guests to come in the next morning to pay for it. Altogether, if you need a hotel in the middle of Aachen, it's worth to consider that one.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara1203
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We found hotel marx by chance in the internet, and chose it because of the its location quite in the center of the city. And indeed, all major tourist attractions could be reached by food within minutes. The hotel seems to be family run with a quite personal atmosphere. We booked two rooms: one cheap room without shower and a nice big double room with shower. The cheap room was towards the front street at the first floor, a little bit noisy, but during night there was almost no traffic in the street. The big room was towards the backside was absolutely quiet and gave a beautiful view to a huge garden, so you should ask for one of the more expensive rooms towards the garden. Everything was clean. The lift was a little bit tiny, only two persons fit in. The breakfast is not a five-star menu, but offered everything for a nice start into the day. Altogether, this hotel was refreshing different compared to many chain hotels.

1  Thank Lasse63
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Very unfriendly manager: booked a non-smoking room at the back of the hotel a month before my visit, which was confirmed by email by the manager Maria, however on arrival she could only offer me a smoking room or a room at the front – which was very noisy. Requested for 1 day early departure, but I was charged for the entire 4 days stay.
Breakfast buffet is nothing special – dry bread etc.
Definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jp08
Reviewed November 10, 2007

I thought Hotel Marx was charming. I'd been traveling around for a bit, and was getting used to basic rooms & hotels with little character. Once I found it (a bit of a hike from the train station), I found the woman (co-owner, I think) very helpful & welcoming. She offered me a map and marked where I could find good restaurants. My room was lovely -- I felt like I was in someone's house. True, the TV only got 2 channels, but I was surprised to find a mini-bar, which I took advantage of. Instead of a shower, the bathroom had a tub with a hand-held shower head, which I couldn't figure out how to work (though I didn't ask). The breakfast was quite good, and the dining area looks like a tea room. For a solo traveler backpacking around, Hotel Marx far exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo