Ibis Styles Aachen City
$142
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Mercure Hotel Aachen Europaplatz(Aachen)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Ibis Aachen Marschiertor(Aachen)(Great Value!)
$68
$115
$95
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Art Hotel Aachen Superior(Aachen)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmodern designcar parkfree tea and coffeevaried breakfastmain centreaachen citychristmas marketfree wifibudget roomminute walkfruit saladshort stayrooms are smalltrain stationten minutesreception areabed was comfortable
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Property was refurbished in a contemporary and rather flashy concept ("Ibis Styles"). You might not like it; we thought it was okay. Reception was friendly, helpful and efficient. There is a little kids corner in the lobby with a few games, which our children enjoyed.

The family room consisted of a queen size bed for us and a sofabed for the kids. Bed sheets were clean and our bed was comfortable (the sofabed was foam so not sure it was that comfy). Wifi available free of charge and complimentary calls nationwide from the room. Bathroom was tiny but entirely renovated (only gripe was location of toilet paper holder, on the rear side of toilet seat).

On the minus side, the room lacked soundproofing (we had a corner room facing Jülicher Strasse, which is very noisy) as well as a safe deposit box.

Breakfast was excellent: there was plenty of choice on the buffet; coffee was very good and the breakfast room was large and light. Service was great too. We managed to park on nearby Rehmplatz (free parking overnight); the hotel parking facility could not accommodate our car as it is limited in heights (less than 160 cm if I recall correctly). Location is okay but not great (lots of cheap shops and gambling places nearby); only 10-12 minutes walk from city centre however. Aachen city centre is gorgeous and definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I recently stayed in this Hotel for one night. The lady on reception was very good but could not explain why as a walk in they charged €106 if I booked it via Accor website it was €92 and if I booked it via Expedia it was €88 it took me ten minutes on the iPhone to book but saved nearly 20%. It would have been so much easier if they just matched the best price. After all they would have saved the Expedia booking fee.

The room was small, very clean but the bed was very uncomfortable, very hard just like sleeping on a park bench. The mattress if that is what you call it was a couple of CMs thick and the pillows where the thinnest and smallest I have ever seen.

Both the room and the bathroom looked like they have recently been decorated. The shower for some strange reason had a very high step all most like getting into a bath but apart from that was very good.

For people traveling by car it does have a small secure car park but will only take small cars as it has a stacking system. It might be worth checking your car will fit before making a booking. It is centrally located only a 5 -10 minutes walk in to the Centre.

The plus points are the staff, its clean, location TV has loads of channels and free WIFI.

Negative points Tiny room not sure I could stay for more than a couple of nights and a terribly uncomfortable bed that would mean I will not be staying another night in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coysh
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hotel is a design disaster. Austerity is the keynote. It's like living in a cross between a kindergarten and an Ikea outlet! The rooms have no chairs, no table or desk, no drawers or cupboards and even no hooks to hang things on. Even the lobby has no proper seats. Staff are OK, parking is possible. Rather far from the centre of town.

2  Thank LilleTraveller
Reviewed August 18, 2012

In the USA, when you book a hotel on a website, typically the calendar displays Saturday on the far right. In Europe, I've found, typically Sunday is on the far right of the calendar.

I knew I wanted a Saturday night, and clicked the far right "S" and didn't verify the date. Oops. After I got the confirmation I realized my mistake. Accor's central reservations put me directly in touch with the hotel and I want to thank the kindness of Vanessa and Patrick at reception for correction my error and allowing me to move a typically non-refundable, non-changeable reservation to the correct night. Very appreciated and excellent customer service.

The hotel itself was VERY nice. I wasn't keen on the car park though, it was a "lift" system and looked decrepit. I also wasn't about to hand over the keys to my rental while in a foreign country from where I even rented it! So I punched in "Parking" in the GPS and found an underground garage close by for €10/night.

I wouldn't decorate my house with the bright colors and such but it made for a fun atmosphere. The kids enjoyed playing with the Wii, while my wife and I got to sample some German beers at the bar.

The included breakfast buffet was, bar none, the best I've ever seen anywhere in the world at a hotel at this price-point. Great selection and variety, even a "kinder" area for the kids.

Aachen itself was okay, I've probably checked it off the life-list, but if here again, or in other cities we'd stay at this or another All Seasons again.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The hotel was much better than we expected given a low room rate. It was scrupulously clean. The breakfast had numerous choices. The shower was lovely with a large shower head and great sized towels.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and in particular, Patrik.
If we return to Aachen we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple