“A very nice meal al fresco !”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rose am Dom - CLOSED

Rose am Dom
Cuisines: European, Central European, German
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Swansea
“A very nice meal al fresco !”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We ate in this restaurant on our first night in Aachen, Germany and weren't disappointed. We had stopped just to have a drink after a very pleasant walk around the ancient city centre and after seeing other peoples meals get delivered to their tables we decided to have a go, we both ordered Pork Schnitzel with potatoes and a mushroom sauce, fair to say it was very good German food.

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“canned veggies drowned in cheese sold as lasagne.”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I ordered a "homemade vegetarian lasagna" here.

What I got was canned vegetables and fettucine drowned in an oily layer of tasteless cheese.

The vegetables were:
-Carrots and peas, clearly from a can
-Aubergines and red & yellow peppers, which I suspect may have come from a glass, preserved in oil.
-Bamboo shoots (!), clearly from a can (why anyone would put bamboo shoots into a lasagna is a mystery to me)

Lasagna should consist of layers of pasta, but there was none of that in my dish. Instead they had mixed the vegetables with fettucine and covered the whole thing with a thick oily layer of some very tasteless cheese.

I wouldn't have minded the fettucine instead of the lasagna if only it had tasted good. But the whole thing was just really really awful. I think that the recipe for "homemade lasagna" at the 'Rose am Dom' is:
Take whatever canned vegetables you happen to have on your shelve, mix with leftover pasta and drown it in a thick layer of the cheapest grated cheese that you can find.

I would be ashamed to serve something this bad if I was cooking for friends. I can't believe the cook considered it acceptable to serve this to paying guests.
My friend had some meat with red cabbage, and wasn't very impressed with it either.

On the upside, the service was very good, and the place has a nice atmosphere.
But with food this bad, that isn't worth much.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank bugsonrocks
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Dry food and service”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Dont waste your money here, try one of the busier ones in the square. Food was tasteless and overlooked, service was poor. Prices were too expensive for what we got.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank kiwiguests
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely traditional German restaurant”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here several times with different people and have never had a bad experience. The staff are always friendly and the service is fine. The food is delicious and traditional and comes in big portions! Definitely worth the money! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a decent traditional German meal.

• Visited May 2013
Antwerp
“Food was horrible”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I saw some very good comments on this place. So maybe the chef was ill or absent when we ate here...

It was truely the worst food we were ever served in a restaurant. Especially the starter was horrible. We chose for marinated salmon. The salmon was very very dry. I only ate a little bit of it. The side salad was not tasty: salad, carrots, corn and a weird dressing.

The main course was slightly better. I had fish, my husband had a schnitzel. Both were again very very dry. It tasted like it had been in the micro wave for too long.

The good points of this restaurant are: beautiful terrace in the city center, nice wine, friendly waitress. But that could not make up for the terrible food.

• Visited July 2013