See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 19, 2018

Arrived latish to find reception shuts about 1900. Check in over the road at the Steinberger where, the reception staff knowing we were Kleine Sonne "guests", looked very much down their noses at us. Despite the glowing website, only the breakfast bar exists. No bar, gym, sauna and the ground floor smells of drains. The rather dingy hotel reminded me of a run down Polish hotel from the 1980's. Breakfast adequate. Grubby throughout And noisy neighbours.

Room tip: Stay somewhere else
Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
SteigenbergerRostock, Guest Relations Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Dear Stephen S,

Hotel Die kleine Sonne
Sonja Höppner
Guest Relations

Reviewed July 11, 2018

Stayed for 4 nights last week as part of a group. Had to check in at the sister hotel across the road as reception was closed when we arrived. The hotel is in a good position near the square and tram stop but that means there can be a lot of noise. As there is no Air Con and if it's hot, there is no option but to have the windows open. The entrance, corridors and stair cases are dingy and smell strongly of cigarette smoke. Laundry trolleys are left in full view all the time, making it untidy. The room, bedding and towels were clean and the bed was comfortable but all areas are in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was tiny, the shower tray chipped and the room smelled of drains. On a good point, there was a reasonable choice for breakfast which was quite acceptable. Overall a very disappointing hotel.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SteigenbergerRostock, Guest Relations Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Dear Linda W,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Steigenberger Hotel Sonne

Reviewed June 10, 2018

The wi-fi is still dismal. You get on for anything from 2 minutes to 10 and then you're kicked off. And don't bother trying to force a reconnect, you have to wait for it to let you back on in its own sweet time. There was no other wi-fi available within range of my room on the second floor that I could utilise instead. The hotel itself is a pretty typical 3 star, although the soap dispenser in the shower wasn't filled, which might have proved inconvenient under other circumstances. Ideally shower cubicle would be bigger also. The location is actually fantastic, a stones throw from the Rathaus and just a short walk to the pedestrianised heart of the city centre where the lovely University building is located.The staff were helpful and I was able, thank god given the heat, to leave my backpack in the luggage storage when I arrived some 5 hours before my actual check in time.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
SteigenbergerRostock, Guest Relations Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

Dear CheshireRockFan,

Hotel Die kleine Sonne
Sonja Höppner
Guest Relations

Reviewed November 28, 2015

Nice hotel near the market square and tram station (just 1 minute by foot). Clean and cozy. Big beds. Friendly staff. The only bad thing is poor Wi-Fi connection. However, you can use free Wi-fi in a hotel across the road.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
SteigenbergerRostock, General Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2015

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our staff and the cleanness of our rooms.
I look forward to welcome you in our Hotel again soon.
Kindly regards,
Carsten Jaeckel

Reviewed August 17, 2015 via mobile

Reasonable prices room (for two) right near the square. We were able to walk everywhere. Unfortunately with no AC you need to leave the windows open (especially in August when so hot!). I tossed and turned all night because of the various outdoor sounds, then come 6am the sounds of others (many were yelling). The towels were small but we had enough for the two of us and everything was clean. The staff at the front was very nice and helpful.

Date of stay: August 2015