“a must see”

Relais & Chateaux Restaurant la vie
Ranked #1 of 308 Restaurants in Osnabruck
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The restaurant lies in the heart of Osnabrück’s historic Old Town, opposite the town hall where the Peace of Westphalia was proclaimed. Our backdrop is Haus Tenge: converted into a residential and commercial property for the merchant Ernst Friedrich Tenge in 1813, the listed building was carefully restored and modernised. Today, almost 200 years later, the majestic classicist building forms a noble setting for our sophisticated cuisine. And it is within this setting that we wish to live up to our name and show you the fine side of life.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The ambience is beautiful, the food was excellent, a combination of local products, tastes and wines accurately chosen and prepared. Very unique combination of ingredients, service is excellent and chef thomas bühner is very nice and friendly.
An experience to repeat as soon as possible!

2  Thank ming s

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The 7-course Le Grand Chef menu was adapted to my personal restrictions ( no beef/ pork) and it gave me an excellent first impression of Thomas Bühner's cooking.

6  Thank DTewarie
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a wonderful time here at this Michelin 3 Star restauraunt. It was a great experience (lasting a stamina requiring 3.5 hours!!) but the cost means it really will have been a once in a lifetime one. We had the 7 course tasting menu which with the chefs additons ended up at about 11 courses (I would recommend sticking with the alternative 5 course option). The atmosphere was perfect. Not too overbearing, but made you feel very special. Highly recommend for a special event or occasion

2  Thank Mark9920
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The chef/owner, Thomas Buehner, had just received his third Michelin star when we visited. We were invited to eat there by two of our children, who ate with us and most importantly, paid the bill!

First, a few words about the location, Osnabrueck, Germany. I knew the city a few years back when I was a US Army Reserve Officer, on a special assignment and this city was one in which I spent some time. It is one which is not really on the tourist agenda, simply because there are so many similar cities in this part of Germany and there is no huge drawing card here like would be found in Rothenburg, Heidelberg, and others so well known to Americans. Perhaps La Vie will help change that. It really is a lovely town with lots of medieval and baroque buildings, a University and many nice people who are pretty receptive to us "Amis".

La Vie is in an attractive building, on one of the major downtown thoroughfares. There is nothing sensational about the facade but it is attractive. As one enters the restaurant, there is a very attractive dining room with only a handful of tables, most of which are two or four "top" with perhaps a couple of larger ones. There is no crowding of tables and chairs to make room for more and at least on the night we were there, there was peace, serenity and absolutely no sense of any attempt to "turn" the table.

There are sufficient table servers that it would not be possible to wait more than about 30 seconds to make any request desired. It is almost as though we each had a personal attendant. Menus are available in French, German and English and there are only two meals offered each night. The menu is fixed price for each of the two meals and they are offered with or without wine pairings. Two of our group opted for each of the two menus, both ordered them with wine pairings and thus, we got to sample the entire menu. Some of the wine crossed over two both menus but most did not. It was interesting that much of the wine was French, not German and several were Italian or even Australian. Fantastic wines and the wine stewards were not stingy, even with a Burgundy which I knew personally had to retail for at least $100/bottle.

The courses are mostly smal, but not stingy or skimpy. The presentations are among the most beautiful I have ever seen. The food itself was simply too good to be believed and I don't ever expect to have a finer dining experience in any restaurant. The combinations of foods with other foods is very unusual and quite good. Just as an example, the appetizer on one menu was "Marinated Mackeral, with passion fruit and black sesame seed ice cream", an unlikely combination but exquisitely tasty! I have heard this sort of cooking and combination called "Molecular" but I still am not sure what that really means. To us it simply meant a fantastic cullinary experience.

It would simply take too long and too much space to describe adequately all of the courses but I will say a word or two about my main course and that of the other menu, as well. Mine was "Canadian Bison" which sounds simple enough, except that this was served with a red sauce which must have been made from a great Burgundy and shitake mushrooms. On the side of the plate were buckwheat cakes, which were superb with the Bison saddle, which was served medium rare. The other main course was somewhat related, smoked filet of Venison, another wonderful sauce with spring onions and vegetables. Superb!

These were perhaps the most perfectly trained servers I have ever been priveleged to observe, anywhere, bar none! They were attentive without being intrusive, eager to please without being obsequious. Great service is no longer any more common in Europe than it is in the USA but even though we may occasionally experience good service, GREAT service is stil amazing.

Now, a word about prices. The two offerings on our visit were 168 Euros and 198 Euros, respectively. With wine pairings, the prices increased to 240 Euros and 285 Euros. Thus, the total bill for four was well over $1,000 in US money but for one experience, (with our children paying the bill) I thought it was a reasonable price for the quality and the uniqueness.

Reservations at La Vie are mandatory unless you happen to walk in on an unusual night.

3  Thank DickGreenville_SC
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

The food here was really tasty and really interesting. The only thing was that they had tried to cater for me in English with the menus and talking in English. But I can't complain about that really when I'm in Germany. So excellent :)

1  Thank wisewhite