“Character & friendliness”

Gaesteresidenz PelikanViertel
Ranked #32 of 159 Hotels in Hannover
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here while attending the Hannover Messe. Our welcome was friendly. The room was a bit of a surprise. We are a couple, and booked a double room assuming that it would mean a double bed, but we had two single beds separated from each other by a kitchenette. As the hotel was booked out, we couldn't change. I assume that because we were booking for the Messe, that the hotel assumes that you are two single people & require two single beds. A bit strange.

Having said that, the room was very nice and quite different from your standard hotel room. It was a loft-style room, very quiet, very clean & quite modern. Breakfast was included and was also very nice; a selection of cereals, breads, cold meats & cheeses.

The whole vibe of the hotel is modern & friendly, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, although next time, I would make sure that we had a double bed & not two singles!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Reasons to stay here include: friendliest welcome I have experienced, WiFi that really works (but seems unsecured, although it could just be my lack of experience with public WiFi networks), good-sized desk so you can actually work, great architecture (if you like like lofts like I do), relatively central location (5 tram stops to the main train station) and availability of at least one good bakery, one supermarket and several good restaurants close by (by which I mean within walking distance). The district is nice: quiet and residential with many original houses, i.e., unlike much of Hannover it has retained some character (central Hannover is really drab).

The standard rooms are bigger than in most hotels and really do have tall ceilings. Ironically I had come here to experience the loft feeling only to find that a velum had been installed to make the room seem less tall. I guess that is because in relation to the size of the room it might otherwise have felt a bit like a mineshaft. I wouldn't have minded (on the contrary) but I assume there must have been complaints so they did this.

The only real drawbacks are that the bathrooms are really small (but very clean) and that apparently none, not even in the highest category rooms, have a tub. Also, not only must you specialy order kitchens ustensils and plates if you want them but their delivery takes several hours. So if you arrive from a long trip and want to spoil yourself a bit to unwind, tough luck. They should consider providing at least a couple of mugs and a water boiler by default; you can then find the rest at the supermarket round the corner.

Prices vary enormously depending on the time of the year. Off-season (that is, not during a fair) the place is a steal; during a fair it's still competitive with hotels, I would say.

Bottom line: I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank OlivierLpz
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed in Hannover for 4 nights to attend a convention and we choose this location because my husband had stayed here before. The rooms are basic but spacious, with a simple kitchenette (dishes, glasses etc. can be borrowed for a small amount), the breakfast buffet is excellent , the beds are good, we slept well. Tram stop nearby, a few stops to the city centre.
Opposite the tram stop is a supermarket, on the other corner a nice Italian restaurant, XII Apostel (recommended). The staff was very friendly and attentive, also in the email before our trip. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I had planned to stay in the Sheraton during a recent work trip but it was booked out - a frequent occurrence as there as so many conferences in the city. My clients suggested the Gastresidenz Pelikan, situated in a former factory. We were in one of the basic rooms which provided basic accommodations if not a high level of comfort. The walls admit every sound from the hallways which means sleeping with ear plugs are required. The curtains in the room wouldn't close - the helpful staff used clothes-pins to provide a dark night - but of course in the day time, had to be laboriously unpinned to let in the daylight. Positive points: the very kind, friendly and helpful staff and the free internet was fast and reliable. Kudos also for the excellent breakfast included in the reasonable price charged for the room.

I probably will not choose to stay here again unless circumstances demand it but I've stayed in worse and as a basic hotel with a modicum of comfort, it might work for a short stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Finem50
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed at Gasteresidenz for two weeks while working in Hannover. And to say it upfront, I enjoyed my stay very much. Gasteresidenz is not really a hotel but more like a boarding house, geared towards guest who stay for longer periods of time. I had a room on the 4th floor: Large layout, plenty of closet-space, an office area with a desk, plasma tv, the bathroom was rather small, though. Each room has a kitchenette, pots and utensils can be borrowed from the front desk. However, the kitchenettes are rather poorly equipped. There is a sink, a fridge/freezer, two hotplates and cabinets. There is no microwave, no toaster and no coffeemaker. Coffee to go is available in the lobby for a Euro per cup. The breakfast-buffet in the morning costs 9 Euros. There is an inhouse laundromat...one load of washing and drying including detergent costs 7 Euros.

Gasteresidenz is located fairly close to the city center. The tram stop is 250m walking-distance and then its just 4 more stops to the main train station and city center. A supermarket is just accross the street from the tram. There are also bakeries and restaurants very close to Gasteresidenz. They offer on-site parking for 5 Euros per day, but in my experience there is plenty of free parking in the surrounding streets.

Gasteresidenz being not a hotel but a boarding house, towels are only changed twice a week and sheets only once a week. There is no room service, but menus from various delivery services are in every room. Wireless Internet is available, but it gets horribly slow in the evening hours. But I was told, they are working on it.

And if you think, this is just a so-so review...consider this: I got an incredible rate at Gasteresidenz, that made up for all the minor inconveniences. Less than 50 Euros per day, which was just awesome. However, if you are coming to Hannover for the annual Cebit trade-fair, expect to pay a lot more.

So if you are looking for a comfortable, efficient and reasonably priced place to stay in Hannover, Gasteresidenz is the place for you. Staff are very friendly and helpful. But If you want the full business-hotel experience, make reservations at the Sheraton down the street. Next time I'm in Hannover, I will definitely stay at Gasteresidenz.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Hannover, being a convention city, is loaded with hundreds of hotels and short-stay apartments .What is common though - even 4 star establishments are not what you expect of truly upscale accommodation. I find that average German 2 star differs from 4* : a) in amount of cheap laminate built-ins , b) thickness of a duvet that is too small anyway .c ).selection of sausages and hot dogs at breakfast buffet.
You can safely bet that either one ( budget or luxury ) will be very clean , will have a small shower stall , pink liquid soap/shampoo that can double as paint stripper, and narrow hard mattresses covered in plastic.
Once we establish these common grounds we can fairly evaluate Pelikanviertel.
I have stayed in probably most of Hannover popular hotels over last few years. After spending 10 days here I said to myself , this is my home in Hannover from now on. ( By the way , they offer long term rentals - up to six month , where price drops to almost nothing ).
The hotel is in the nicest area of a city - in List district. Everything is within reach either by car or by SBahn tram. Parking is free and abundant. The windows are facing either courtyard or very residential street. The only noise I heard sleeping with windows open was an amorous bird signing serenades while perched on a light post. A really, REALLY, great food is in the same old factory building- XII Apostel.Don't miss it .
If you want to use your kitchenette or just get a refill of cold beer , a well stocked and super-cheap ( I was explained that this is a grocery shop for poor - be careful, the low prices can give you a shock) supermarket is on the corner of Podbielski street , open late.
Rooms... if you are afraid of big open airy spaces and would rather hole up in something dark and dingy with paisley drapes and dust mites, like old grand style Holiday Inn- from 80s this place is definitely not for you. Do not attempt.
The rooms are huge, not in terms of floor footage but in terms of height. The windows are spectacularly huge - be sure to use black-out roller shade if you want to sleep late in summer when Northern nights are very short. It helps to fight jetlag though :)
I will not go into description of beds and shower ( see above ) they are adequate.
Wireless free internet worked flawlessly.
Breakfast is excellent for non-carnivores ( see above re:hot dogs ). There is a usual selection of cold cuts and sausages , plus some boiled eggs. The absolute winner is muessli table. You can mix and match yours ad infinitum - all kinds of dried fruits, nuts , seeds , yoghurts...it looks like an isle in Whole Foods.
Coffee and bakery goods are abundant and good quality.
Staff. They have implemented a wonderful policy of hotel staff as a family. Their names and faces are in your hotel guide book. They are made to remember your name as well, so after a first meeting they greet you by name. There are few people in a shift and they work really hard.
I am booking this hotel for my September trip to Hannover right now. The price and value is hard to beat.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank liska73
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Its only €35 a night when staying off peak above 7 nights. I was in a basic room. Single bed but decent size room generally. Digital TV with lots of stations and you can link your laptop or smartphone to it. Supposed to be wireless internet but couldn;t connect, not good for business guests.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple