“Friendly, helpful, clean, good value, delicious, we would come again”
Review of The New Holly

The New Holly
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Forton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were impressed as we were accepted for the Early Bird Menu discount though we only arrived at the end time of 6.45pm, but didn't place our order until a little later. Diners can have 2 starters or desserts and 2 main courses with the cheapest main course for £1(good selection of eligible main courses).

The staff were friendly and helpful, even ensuring that while we waited a hot crusty roll and butter was brought to us to enjoy.

The main courses were very good. One was a 4 cheese and red pepper pie with a light flaky pastry crust, accompanied by fresh vegetables and fries. It was very tasty and a generous plateful.

The other main was a whopper of a gammon steak with grilled pineapple and a fried egg. It was accompanied by thick cut crispy chips and a grilled tomato with a black pepper crust, yum. It was a great plateful.:-)

The desserts were well presented with wee physalis fruit on top. One was a trio of summer pudding with the sharpness of berry fruit compote contrasting well with the sweetness of raspberry sorbet. Nice and light to follow the filling main course!

The pear and rhubarb crumble was equally generous accompanied by thick custard. I was surprised to find star anise hidden in the crumble. The taste made a welcome addition to the crumble.

Overall we were most impressed with the cleanliness throughout including the toilets, the service, quality and value of the food. We would certainly recommend. The price worked out to under £30 for two courses and one soft drink each. They also offered us glasses of water before we asked even though we didn't buy more soft drinks. We were also told that the food was locally sourced where possible, e.g. the gammon.

It looked like The New Holly was developing an outside area adjacent to the car park.

Tom L, Manager at The New Holly, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, and I hope we see you here again in the near future! Our outside area is now complete so we are all set for dining outside in this lovely weather we are having!

Again many thanks and see you soon, Rachelle.

There are newer reviews for The New Holly

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have dined here on a couple of occasions and have always been more than satisfied with the standard and quality of the food and the service.

Good and varied menu - last time we visited we chose the Lambs Liver from the specials menu and it was superb - cooked to perfection and with a wonderfully rich red wine jus. The Steak Night is not to be missed either - great value if you take advantage of the offer and steaks cooked to perfection.

We sampled their desserts on one occasion and were suitably impressed but on our last visit, as we were all quite full, asked if we could have one cheese platter between the four of us - what a treat. More than enough local cheese and a good selection of biscuits to satisfy us all - and a glass of port as well.

There's a relaxed atmosphere but have no doubt they could all meet the demands of a "fine dining experience" if required. Staff are helpful but not intrusive - perfect combination.

Have no hesitation at all in recommending.

Tom L, General Manager at The New Holly, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

It was lovely to have you both dine with us, and thank you for your review, it is really nice to hear that all the staffs hard work is paying off! I hope we get to see you again next time you are down this way, was lovely to meet you both, Rachelle :)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Even though this Pub has been here for years we have just rediscovered it and had brilliant lunch here.We will call again on our way back from the Lakes,much better to go round thisway from South Lakes than a very boring Motorway.The food,service and offers are really good value for money,We found the staff to be so helpful and signed up for their e-mail letters as thig gives you more really good offers.We had the 2 course Lite Lunch menu that was freshly cooked and served in good time.Would not hesitate to recomend this eatery to friends and family.Well done The New Holly !

Glad you enjoyed your visit with us, be sure to pop in and see us again next time you are passing! Rachelle

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Recently moved to the area and a rather complicated story with an incident at another restaurant in the chain left us rather cold and some vouchers in our pocket for use at one of the pubs in this chain. It was no brainer to go out for dinner rather than struggle through packing boxes trying to find a set of saucepans.

Firstly if I had been paying top dollar for my Sunday roast it would have gone back and so would the food of the other members of my party. Yes I could have complained but after a weekend of moving house the tiredness got the better of me rather than the will to complain.

Now call me old fashioned but I do think that a Yorkshire pudding should be golden brown, a similar sort of colour to a roast potato. Now imagine a Yorkshire pudding with a rather bad case of - oops i've been too near the salamander and a roast potato with vitiligo (no offence meant to those persons - including myself, who have vitiligo)

Another matter of concern to me is the concept of a pie. Now who here on this website considers a pie to consist of some pie filling a 1 cm gap for air and a cover of just roll puff pastry a pie?? Where was the base where is the filling. For goodness sake Fray Bentos does a better effort at a pound a pie when they're on offer at my local supermarket. At least the filling meets ( or is that meats ) the crust.

At £12.95 per main course (times 4) I want something half way decent for £56.00 plus drinks - oh less £30 in vouchers.

Sorry to have to say this about my local hostelry - must do better. I am far more convinced that scooting into Forton Services on the M6 nay have fulfilled my needs better than an over priced and certainly over opinionated glorified cafe on the A6 calling itself a restaurant.

1  Thank The_Pipster2608

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review about your last visit with us.

I am sorry that it failed to meet your expectations, we are constantly striving to improve our service and maintain a high standard. Rest assured that had you made the issues with the food known to a member of staff, there would have been no issue at all with returning it to the kitchen immediately and changing it for you. This is standard procedure, as we want all of our customers to leave with a positive impression of us, and of course full bellies!

Unfortunately we unknowingly did not do this on this ocasion, so may I thank you for your custom thus far and wish you well for the future. Rachelle

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I have just had the most delicious lunch at the New Holly just off the A6.I could not decide on a main course so had 2 starters, the terrine and the fishcake. Beautifully presented and every mouthful tingled my tastebuds.The staff were so friendly and recommended a glass of sauvignon blanc which was perfectly chilled. He had the chicken and chorizo salad and the leaves had a light glaze of an amazing salad dressing. To follow a New York cheesecake and brownie.We were delighted to receive a voucher for a return visit which solves the problem of what to buy Mother for her birthday !