“Food that would kill you!”

The New Holly Country Pub & Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Forton B&B and Inns
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Food that would kill you!”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Never in my entire life (not even in sub-Saharan Africa) have I ever been served up such garbage! Belly pork is a little fatty but this was beyond the pale! At least 2.5cm thick by 10cm x 6cm of thick sodden, anaemic, pork fat, not even crisped. Hanging to the back of this was a thin piece of meat no thicker than you’d find on an economy rasher of bacon. Described on the menu as Slow roasted belly pork and charged at £9.95 (more than the 8oz gammon steak).

When the staff were quizzed over this inedible plate they remarked, “Belly pork has fat and we never have complaints”. Strangely, when I offered the plate to them no one wanted to eat it because it was fat! Frankly I’m not surprised, if you did finish it you’d probably keel over with coronary failure before you made it out the door. I wish I’d take a picture to post but I was honestly really not in the mood for hanging around.

It is really a matter for trading standards, and I’ll most certainly be writing to them. If you feel compelled to visit do yourself a favour and don’t eat. Certainly I’ll not be returning and I have never, ever had reason to write such a review but I was so incensed by the food and the response I really had no choice. What they think they are doing and serving I have no idea!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank GT186
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I would just like to notify you that at the new holly we are a totally new company and things have changed massively. We would like to change your opinion of us so if you get in contact with me i will send you out a voucher to use with us if you would like to visit. Thanks Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I must begin by saying I have never written a review on any hotel or restaurant before but we were so appalled & incensed by the standard of service we received at the New Holly Inn, Forton, Lancs, that I feel moved to comment. As we sat down to enjoy our meal, my husband picked up the bottle of Heinz ketchup that was on the table. However, as he opened the bottle (which must have been so old it had fermented) it literally exploded in his face. Not only was he covered in it, so was I and my eldest daughter. I don't mean splashed or smudged, I mean literally covered in the explosive spray that had emitted from the bottle. Not only that, our drinks, meals, the walls, etc, were covered. Our food and drinks were inedible but more worrying was the fact that my husband was temporarily blinded and in considerable pain from the acidic liquid and the force of the explosion. We looked rediculous, both myself and my daughter were wearing leather jackets, now ruined and after just 25 mins, so was our evening. The young waitress was very apologetic and told us that it had happened earlier that evening to an old gentleman. However, my husband had to insist the manager came out to discuss what had happened and what was so wrong with the ketchup that it had exploded! When the manager reluctantly appeared, he offered us no apology, no offer of a new table, new meal, etc. He just became utterly ridiculous and bumbling, stating that we would "still have to pay"! When we refused to pay for our, now rancid, ketchup covered meal and drinks, he said he would call the police?!! He made no attempt to offer us any form of compensation, write the incident in an accident book and was altogether useless. When I challenged him as to what part of the meal was still edible he finally conceded that he himself would not pay under the same circumstances. He then, very reluctantly, cancelled the bill. You won't be surprised to learn that we won't be frequenting this establishment again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank ALGraham
Lancashire
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My husband and i stayed here for a night away from the kids. The staff were friendly, the food was lovely, the bed was HUGE, and Very comfortable and the overall stay was good. On the down side, i wasn't impressed at the noise from the downstairs bar which woke me at 8 am (F1 racing on the tv)- i wasn't pleased as the purpose of our trip was to have some time alone AND to have a lie-in. That said the lady who checked us out was appologetic and said she would let the manager know. The road just outside the window was also noisy, but we had expected this and it wasn't a problem.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forton
Travelodge Lancaster M6
#5 of 15 in Preston
Middle Holly Cottage
Middle Holly Cottage
#1 of 2 in Forton

Been to The New Holly Country Pub & Inn? Share your experiences!