“Night out with my mate”

The New Holly Country Pub & Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Forton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Decided to try the New Holly,went with my best mate to celebrate my birthday.Very nice inside,tastesful decor.The staff especially Tom were friendly and very helpful.The food was excellent and was presented well,we both really enjoyed our night out and will be back very soon.They could give The Sparlings a run for the money!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your review, its nice to hear you had a good evening with us celebrating your birthday, We hope to see you guys again very soon, Tom

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Decided to stop off here for our evening meal as we were passing and hadn't been in for years! The pub itself was nice inside, with tasteful clean decor and the staff were friendly and attentive.
We are vegetarian however do eat fish (so pescatarian technically :) but if we didn't, the choice would have been from two dishes both of which were in creamy sauces so not a great choice.

The food itself was very good but considering the prices were so steep I didn't consider it to be anything more special than we could get elsewhere for much less.
Not sure if they are trying to be a restaurant or a pub?

All in all it was a good experience but I really do think in this climate with so many eateries competing on price, it does need to be cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and also your criticism regarding our pricing, we take on board all reviews we get and work on them to move in the right direction. Thanks again . Tom

Reviewed October 16, 2012

It had been some 20 years since our last visit, but on recommendations we thought we would have a Saturday run out, and we were not disappointed.
We were greeted as soon as we stepped through the door by a lovely smiling face and shown to a table.
She returned very quickly to take our drink order and with menus.
Great selection of food, and for a change, not many spicy foods on the menu.
I chose the mushroom stroganoff and hubby the beef stroganoff, but first came lovely warm bread and butter. Both our meals were delicious with plenty of flavour and sauce served with basmati rice and we also asked for an extra portions of mushrooms and thin fries.

We had a room for a pudding, so both decided on the caramel & chocolate ice cream which came with some popping candy, I have never laughed so much while having a dessert, as the popping candy was a great experience!!

The whole experience certainly made our 30 mile round trip worth while.
Would I recommend The New Holly? Most certainly, everything about this place is lovely, the staff were just excellent.
Nice to see a country pub getting everything so right.
We will return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words, we are so happy here that you enjoyed your trip out and it shows the high standards we set ourselves to send the customer away happy are paying off, we look forward to seeing you again soon. Tom

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went for late lunch very impressed with new decor . We are 2 ladies who like to lunch out weekly was not dissapointed. Had 2 course menu we had voucher so it was £7.95 , very good value. My friend had soup of the day , very nice and came in nice dish with hot roll. I had pate came with 4 pieces of hot granary toast in lovely pot with fab relish in another nice pot, very well presented. We both had pie of the day , beef in merlot with just butter puff pastry topping with nice chips in wire basket. Very nice staff will be back next week on Sunday

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the kind words, we are working hard at the new holly to keep the consistency up in the standards of our food and service and its lovely to hear that things are paying off, we are glad you were impressed and hope you also enjoyed your sunday lunch too. Tom

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

What a shame the old managers are not still here! Went for lunch today, first ones in, the first thing I smelt was paint... Not always a bad thing but it was that strong I couldn't even smell my lunch when it came! Had pâté to start which came in its own jar and looked homemade however had a nasty layer of fat on the top, the butter had been rolled in paprika I think which meant I couldn't even butter my toast. My main was gammon which was the worst, cheapest, saltiest gammon I have ever tasted! The portions are huge and over face you... We had ordered from the 'lite bites' menu so I was expecting the portions to be fairly small but I was wrong. Hardly ate any of my main as the gammon was placed neatly over my chips causing them to also be very salty. The waitress came to take the plates, asked how things were but wasn't really interested in the answer, when she was told she just said 'oh well I'll let the chef know and see if there's anything we can do and then let us walk out the door... No offer of discount, free drink, voucher for another time... Safe to say I won't be back an will not be recommending!

• Stayed: October 2012
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us feedback, We have taken on board all that you have written and shall move in the right direction to amend our faults and meet the high standards we set ourselves. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the new holly. Tom

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I think some of the previous reviewers must have got out of bed the wrong way. We have dined their twice in the last week and where both very impressed by the food and standard of service. The staff are very friendly and there is a good choice of food on the menu which included a very good value two course "lunch menu". We dined on the main menu but the food on the lunch menu looked great. Portions are not on the small side so I didn't get chance to try out the tempting puddings.We will definatley visit again as it's well located on the A6.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words about us at the new holly, we are constantly working to improve ourselves and provide a high standard of service and serve high quality food so its always good for a little bit of feedback to let us know we are doing our job. We look forward to seeing you again soon and make sure you get chance to have a pudding next time. Tom

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had read the mixed reviews before visiting so was slightly apprehensive. However - we (group of 4 adults) had fantastic experience from start to finish. One of our party had brought several special offer vouchers with her and the friendly waitress helped us choose which one would give best value. In the end we all four had a starter and main for £8.95 each - amazing value and the food was brought in good time, very hot and HUGE portions. The only slight comment would be that there were no vegetables not even peas!! So I had sausage and mash, others and pie and chips and that was literally what you got - no veg at all. However this did not spoil our overall experience. The waitress was very friendly and chatty and we stayed nearly three hours, eating, chatting, drinking. Would return!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Jackie, thank you for your kind words about your experience with us at the new holly, we continue to try and give our customers the best deals we possibly can so we are glad to see people making the most of them, im glad you girls enjoyed your lunch with us and we hope to see you again very soon. Thanks again, Tom.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forton
Travelodge Lancaster M6
Crofter's Hotel
Crofter's Hotel
#2 of 2 in Garstang
Middle Holly Cottage
Middle Holly Cottage
#1 of 2 in Forton

Been to The New Holly Country Pub & Inn? Share your experiences!