“A gem”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Wiesbaden
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Having stayed here several times I would not have any hesitation in both recommending and staying at the Hotel de France. The staff are excellent, rooms comfortable and the restaurant serves imaginative and creatve dishes. Fairly near the Centre of town and the spa.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Skippy50

Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed 3 days in this hotel. First we had a classical double room, at the last level of the building ( the 4th) and it was ok, nothing special, the furniture was kind of Ikea style, out of fashion and cheap, but the room was perfectly clean. The only problem was that the heating stopped working on the second day, the staff tried to solve the problem, but, in the end, they upgraded us and we received a much more beautiful room ( 104), a lot of space and better decorated. We appreciated the effort they made to ensure our comfort, taking into consideration that the hotel was fully booked. Anyway,inside the hotel was a little bit cold everywhere, the central heating has to be improved. The breakfast was not included in the price, but it was very cheap( only 8 euro/pers) and varied, served in the restaurant of the hotel, a nice environment, thus a nice way to start a new day! The garage was a little bit further, and cost 12 euro/day.
I would recommend this hotel, the position is fantastic, only few min walk from the center ( to the left) and a wonderful park and residential area ( to the right). If we are back in Wiesbaden, we will choose for this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for the backside view, we had the frontside and it was noisy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mihaela p
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Hotel de France is north of central Wiesbaden - it is short walk from everything happening in central, and the street itself has many trendy restaurant / bars. The room I stayed was nothing special to those similar priced hotel in Germany. Though the linen white and crisp, the bed is just comfortable. 8 euros breakfast is hard to beat. This hotel restaurant "M" is apparently good restaurant in town, so no wonder. It was hard to stop coming back to the buffet table - sausage, scrambled /boiled egg, various ham + cheese and fresh fruits and muesli. Also notable is small dish of tapas looking food - smoked salmon, herring with beetroot, soft cheese stuffed chilli pepper...also cake.
It was Sunday morning, so I secretly hoped they would serve sekt (sparkling wine) but maybe I was too ambitious. Though they had some health drink free of charge, which is mini-bar item in the room.
The receptionists are all helpful and nice. I really enjoyed staying there.
If you try to access the hotel from DB station, take Bus No1, when it turns left into Taunus Strasse the second stop you get off.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank kikahopper
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Nice hotel, carefully decorated, central location in a busy street with several good restaurants, including the hotels own M Restaurant. My room was smaller than expected, but good quality furniture and comfortable bed. Good LCD tv with a complimentary video on demand offer. Unfortunately the system wasn't working the first night but they quickly repaired it the next day. Breakfast is good, not the huge continental breakfast offer but still everything you need to get you started! Coffee is very good for German hotel standard. Overall, a very comfortable, nice, friendly hotel in city center, with a very, very reasonable price/service relationship.
It was raining so I didn't manage to explore the gardens which seem very nice in the pictures.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be all different, just ask for a spacious room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jnandrade
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I visited the hotel while in Germany for a week on business. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, everything was completely adequate. The hotel itself is an older, remodeled building, very regal looking as is mostly everything in Wiesbaden. The staff were exceptional, especially Stefanie. Hotel is very central to the "downtown" area with shops & sights to see. Very easy to walk to the Wiesbaden Casino, the natural spring fountains, etc. The restaurant located on the first floor is phenomenal. Was there in Feb, didn't have the need for A/C but noticed there was no unit in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor towards the front have small balconies with a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Latinhunny33
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed here on a business trip. The room was more than adequate for the few nights I stayed there. They have a small restaurant downsairs where you get breakfast. The first night there I was informed the restaurant would be closed the next morning. They arranged for room service for my breakfast. They arrived right on schedule.

Everyone was very attentive.

Its location was very convenient. The Kurhaus was only a few blocks away.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank ct-cruisers
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Just to clarify some of my remarks below, here a quick intro:
I lived in Wiesbaden from 2000-2004 almost 4 years and I am German. Most of my life I stayed in Asia Region and had jobs with extensive travels. I stay sometimes in the best hotels (Savoy in London) and at other times in very low key budget hotels.

My wife and me did a one week Paris and Wiesbaden trip, to see friends and go to the places we liked while still living in Europe.

The Hotel DeFrance is an excellent location for Wiesbaden. Its on a nice down street with restaurants and upper scale shops, but very quiet. Parks, Kurhaus, Down Town core shopping area are walking distance.

I personally always liked this street the most in WIesbaden (probably because our apartment was in that area) and I like walking throughout the city.

Better location would probably only be the Schwarzer Bock, Nassauer Hof, Trueffel, Baer (something) Hotels. The first two are rather expensive and very formal. I dont like the street for the other two, albeit they are central.

The Hotel itself has nice and friendly staff. Supportive. We stayed in the classic room and it was good. Everything in it was good quality - incl DVD player, TV, new Bathroom, etc.). Spacey room, too. While the wood and the walls are all in white, or a light wood color, I did not like this style of the bed. It looked like the 80/90ties - though while the style was awkward there was nothing to tell, that it was not new. The room is also not the newest - but you don't see any lack of quality. Nothing is damaged, no smells,, etc.

I saw on pictures that they have nicer looking rooms, but the price comes into a region where I can get a good 5-star-deal, too. In short: The room is nice, but it is a 4 Star hotel!

Breakfast was included in our room rate. The breakfast was very nice and a good selection, with good quality. It made me not go to my favorite breakfast hang outs in Wiesbaden!

The restaurant has great flair and good staff. That is definitely 5 star and better because, its smaller and friendlier.

Actually, if you consider the price incl breakfast is not high. If you stay at the station or somewhere less accessible to downtown, you might need a rental car ... So even cheaper hotels in a worse location, are actually not as good as a bargain here. The DeFrance is definitely a good place to stay.

Needless to say that I have no affiliation with the hotel or people there. Just my two cents!

Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Wintera