“Ambience galore!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Wiesbaden
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stumbled upon this cafe whilst visiting Wiesbaden~so glad we did! The reason we chose this cafe over others was due to the large picture window showing 2 old "gals" having what looks like an awfully good time during Fasching week. As it turns out these "gals" are always seated in the window and decorated for the season. Too funny! Makes you want to join the fun and so we did!
Walking into the cafe is like walking into a coffee/dessert house of old. The 1 person wooden rotating door and the fine desserts upon entering is just part of the overall pleasant experience. The rooms are set up to make you want to linger, socialize and, of course, eat and drink. They consist of leather and upholstered deep chairs and couches and the rooms are decorated with mannequins in Fasching costume and streamers everywhere. This was tastefully done and added to the atmosphere rather than taking away from it.
We were lucky to be there right when it opened and found a seat right away in the back room. Having said that, there were quite a few tables with reserved signs already in place which quickly filled up with said guests right away. These looked like the "regular" crowd as they obviously knew the staff and came armed with newspapers and their spouses. I am glad we chose the back room as by the time we were leaving the front room had filled up with people and it was quite a bit noisier than our back of the room table.
I had the Käsefrühstück breakfast which came in a 3 plate tiered service for 6,90 euro. It was so much fun to look at how it was presented that it "sold" me before I even tasted the cheese/brotchen/egg. Having said that, the bread basket consisted of 3 brotchen~1 white, 1 seeded and 1 sweet. The egg was good and the cheese were just slices~not the wedges of brie or goat cheese I had hoped for but I did enjoy it and appreciated the small slices of fruit that were there for garnishment. I also had the pot of green tea (made 2 small cups).
My husband had the Marktfrühstück with egg/croissant/brotchen for 4,50 euro. His came on a regular plate and was also adorned with small fruit. Nice touch. He also had 2 cappuccinos and they were on the smallish side, but good.
I enjoyed the ambiance and simple food we both received and would definitely return to try their lunch offerings of the day. They put out a new 1 page lunch menu every day and had about 10 items to include schnitzel/salads/soup. I would also like to try one of the many delicious and unique dessert offerings. They looked exceptionally good.
The wait staff that we had ranged from very pleasant and chatty to quiet and efficient. I suppose it happens this way in most places. We were lucky to be enjoying our time there and didn't need much from our wait staff.
One thing I noticed from another reviewer was that they were charged for the WC. We both used their facilities (clean/pleasant) and were not charged. Last comment is to either be there early in the day for breakfast or make a reservation. It would be a shame to go there and find no tables available.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great ambience in traditional old style coffee house atmosphere, excellent service, more than enough choice of cakes, sweets, chocolate truffles, gateau etc, very good coffee, tea and hot chocolate... What else? Yes, a very busy place, make a reservation to avoid disappointment and take enough time to embrace the old style coffee / tea time in the afternoon. This is proof that Starbucks is just plastic.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The atmosphere and the decor are top notch. The small love seats are a beautiful touch. The service excellent and the coffee and cakes were too. Because this is a tourist spot you will pay tourist prices but they do not try to rush you out. So drop in order your coffee then get up and choose your sweet. The cake girl will give you a stub with the cake number, place it on your table and the waiter will pick it up from your table and bring your choice directly to you. Most of the staff can speak English.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very nice for people who "lunch!" It would have been nice to just be with the girls but the girls and I brought our kids and were just fine. We were seated on the second floor and had enough room for everyone. The service was great and the food was delicious! We had tea with our lunch and it was great. The kiddos had waffles for lunch and asked what was for dessert! Will definitely come back and mark this as a favorite spot.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've eaten here 3 times and I really enjoy this cafe. Each time it has been packed. The atmosphere is gorgeous--the desserts in the display cases are beautiful. The food is very good--I've enjoyed everything I've ordered. Twice I've sat in one particular waiter's section, and I would avoid him in the future--he seems grumpy and overwhelmed by the business (he's the reason I give a poor rating for service). That's the only negative--everything else if fantastic!