“Nice hotel but some flaws”

Parkhotel Ruedesheim am Rhein
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Nice hotel with the basic amenities that you can expect for this price but no frills. Despite some minor flaws I felt I got value for my money. Location was great.

The biggest flaw was the lack of air conditioning. My room was located close to the ventilation from the kitchen, so it was almost impossible to open the window because the ventilation was blowing awful cooking smells.

Another flaw was the available payment methods. When I made my reservation they claimed that they accept a Diners Club card and they even had a Diners Club sticker in the front door. When I tried to pay my bill they told that Diners is not accepted. Luckily I had also another card.

The third annoyance was an unnecessary hassle at the breakfast, even the restaurant was not so crowded. Food was delicious but there were some weird seating system that I never realised. It looked like a normal buffet brekfast but I find out that it was not allowed to choose the seat freely. Even the crew was not so familiar with their seating system. One waitress told me where to seat but the next waitress told me to change the table because the table was reserved to someone else. There were no ”reserved” signs on any table.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Janne_HEL

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I overnighted at Parkhotel in July and have to say that my experience was mostly positive. The staff was very friendly, the location was great (right across the street from the Rhine River) and the rooms were clean. The few downsides I have are that the bathroom was tiny, but since it was just an overnight trip I could deal with that. There is no air conditioning, but I expect a lot of European hotels are like that. It was very hot the night we stayed over so we had to sleep with the windows totally open. That wasn't the most convenient thing b/c the trains ran all night long and were very loud. If I was staying on the Rhine for more than a night I probably would've preferred a hotel further away from the train station, but like I said for one night it was okay. Our tv didn't work in our room, but we came there to sight see and not stay in and watch tv so that was fine. We didn't have dinner, but did enjoy drinks outside on the upstairs patio area which was really nice. The next morning we enjoyed the large buffet breakfast. They had everything from breads to yogurt to bacon and eggs. You couldn't really ask for much more. In the end I recommend this hotel for a 1-2 night stay if you can deal with the loud trains, but for anything longer I suggest a hotel further into the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Walked up the steps to look at their cakes (as husband fancied a Black Forest Gateau) and were virtually dragged into the hotel by an over eager waiter. Coffee was very good, the gateau was ok but the cheesecake was very bland and not very fresh. We were the only people in a huge room (other hotels and cafes in the town were crowded). Did not stay there so cannot comment on the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Parkhotel has its pros and cons. Pros: Great staff! They are incredibly friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet is plentiful, good and the breakfast hours are convenient. We ate dinner there once. They have a mixed meat platter that is wonderful and reasonably priced. Again, the wait staff is very good. Cons: The hotel is right across the street from the river, but between the river and the hotel is a railroad track with trains running all day and night. The rooms are very small and the bathroom is even smaller. Parking is reasonable (5 euros a night), but it's an experience. They have a small alley and a few garage stalls. The cars get stacked up in there and the parking attendant has to move cars around to get yours out, so it makes it tough if you want to go out for a drive on the spur of the moment.

Room Tip: Save money and get some sleep by skipping the river-view room. You won't have the noise from the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ghostwriter62
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Parkhotel Rudesheim could not be in a better location in the town, just across the road from the Rhine and in the middle of all the attractions and restaurants. We chose a room facing the river as it has nice views with a little balcony. It also faces the railway line across the street but, although a light sleeper, I did not have any problems sleeping at night. I imagine this would be an issue in summer as there is no airconditioning and the rooms would get very warm. Parking is across the lane in the back and you will have to leave your keys at the desk as the cars are packed in bumper-to-bumper. Breakfast was good, plenty on offer although our timing was a bit off as we had to queue up with group on a coach tour who seemed to delight in taking as long as possible to make their selections!

One small criticism is the lack of an area to unload your luggage. It was raining when we arrived and, after leaving the car in the parking area, we had to struggle with our suitcases across the lane and up narrow stairs to get to the lift. Next morning it started to rain as we were leaving so I had to park the car (illegally) in front of the hotel to pack our luggage. A small pick up/drop off area in front would be helpful.

In summary, a very good hotel where I will stay again.

Room Tip: It's a trade-off. Lovely view but noisy in the front, quiet in the back.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TiberiusVerax
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The Park Hotel is about as central as it is possible to be in Rudesheim. I had a room at the back which although not having a river view is the best choice as the front views are noisy because of trains. The staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast is very good. They were more than happy to allow a late check out. The rooms are very comfortable and large although a little dated.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BJroaming
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at this pleasant hotel set on the banks of the Rhine. The ferry landing stage is opposite the hotel as is the railway line. A lot of reviews mention the noise from trains all night long. This is correct but the secret is to book a room to the rear of the hotel and if a room is available in the new rear extension book it.
Our bedroom was a reasonable size and the bathroom was new.
The staff were very courteous and helpful. We had one evening meal in the hotel which was fine and at reasonable cost. Breakfasts were of the buffet type and fine.
The hotel is regularly used by international coach tours but we were not inconvenienced by this.
We arrived in our own car and were fortunate to get a covered garage space otherwise you leave the key for staff to manoevre cars about in the very tight space.
The hotel is very convenient for Ruedesheim and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Unless you are a deep sleeper book a room to the rear.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple