Best Western Plus Hotel Kassel City
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Ibis Hotel Kassel(Kassel)(Great Value!)
$67
$106
$99
  • Restaurant
Adesso Hotel Astoria(Kassel)(Great Value!)
$124
$72
$80
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Premiere Classe Kassel(Kassel)(Great Value!)
$67
$56
Hotel Celina(Kassel)
$74
$73
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshopping mallbreakfast is servedrestaurant staffparking underneath the hotelking sizeminute taxi ridewalking distanceexcellent locationliquid soaphotel baran upgradelots of spaceconvenient locationarrived latestayed for nightsstaff were helpfulcomfortable room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the location. My grandparents lived in Spohrstasse from 1930 to 1938 and as I was bringing my grandsons on a roots trip, I thought it would be nice to be on the street where they had lived. The hotel fulfilled my requirements. Free wifi, parking garage under the hotel that had access to the hotel and also a supermarket in the shopping centre next to the hotel where we could get cold rinks a basic stuff. We did not take any meals, as we keep kosher and had brought our food from Israel with us.. The fridge in the room,the mini bar accommodated all our food.
The rooms are large, quiet and comfortable. Wonderful duvets and pillows that are always a treat in Germany. The hotel organized the room next to me for the boys as I had requested when booking. It was also near the train station and a short drive to wilhelmsholle and Wasserspiel.
We spent 2 days there and the staff were exceptionally kind and helpful. I would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank luckyducky16
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the documenta in September. We booked a superior double room with two double beds. The first room was very small and dark and didn't feel particularly clean or inviting. We were moved to a better room with more space and a balcony which was much better but I would not rate this hotel as a four star superior, which is how they describe themselves, it is just an ordinary 4 star and are setting guests up for disappointment. The hotel restaurant is situated outside the hotel in an adjacent shopping mall. Also I had requested no feathers or perfume in the room as I am allergic to both, the hotel said they had not received that information - despite it being clear on my confirmation email. They did change all the bedding in the second room but the only pillows they have without feathers are the shaped neck pillows or wheat bran ones (hygienic for a hotel pillow? ) I need two pillows and the shaped ones were very uncomfortable, either singly or doubling up. I have fed back that they need to get some ordinary synthetic pillow suitable for allergy sufferers - watch this space. Having said that, the hotel was comfortable, the area felt safe and it was very central for the documenta sites, although very expensive. Breakfast was good, with an excellent selection of both hot and cold food. The staff were very friendly, even when I complained about the first room. I would stay here again for the documenta but would bring my own pillow.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much larger and have a balcony, better if you are sharing with someone who isn't a partner.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in Kassel for Documenta 13 and the location of the Mercure was great, very central for the station, the town centre and the park. The room was big (actually two rooms with a false wooden divide). A big comfy double bed with nice linen (slightly small double duvet as I was sharing with my sister - would be OK for a couple!). Fresh roses in the room were a nice touch. The bathroom and loo (separate) were spotless but there was a rather unpleasant smell of drains in the bathroom on a couple of occasions. Overall the room was a bit dark – there was lots of dark wood and not much lighting but it was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was a reasonable buffet of hot and cold meat and cheese (not great for a vegan) but a good selection of breads, pastries, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms and courgette with rosemary! There was a good choice of cereal and fruit (mixed berries etc), yoghurt, juice, tea and coffee. I guess they may have bumped up the price for Documenta punters but that is to be expected. Overall a good hotel that I would stay in again if I was visiting Kassel; unlikely before the next Documenta I have to say!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very friendly service and great location for this hotel. I did a nice suite with full amenities though. Rooms need some update (too much wood panelling .. very 80s). Location is very good. Everything withing walking disttance.
Service was very nice. A cold refreshing towel was very nice touch (unexpected from a Mercure). All in all a nice hotel for a day or two to visit Kassel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I visited Kassel for dOCUMENTA (13) in August and the Mercure has an excellent location for almost all the venues of Documenta. It's easy to park your car in the garage beneath the hotel. We had a large, comfortable room, although the design is a bit ... well, outdated.
But it was quiet, clean, fresh roses on the table and in the bathroom and the airco was working okay (not extremely well). Breakfast is in a separate restaurant in the mall, but that's no problem. Quality was very good, staff very friendly.
It's relatively expensive (when you compare it to other hotels in Germany), but what else can you expect during Documenta: that's only every five years, so now they have to profit ;-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business