“This is a great place for lunch”
Review of Sachsenhauser Warte - CLOSED

Sachsenhauser Warte
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sachsenhausen-Süd
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Here's a tip for anyone going to Frankfurt on business. That's not unusual since Frankfurt is the financial center of Germany and thousands come every year to trade fairs at the exposition complex, the gigantic Messe Frankfurt. I can recommend Sachsenhäuser Warte on Darmstädter Landstrasse. They serve a locally brewed Binder Pils and what I can only describe as German comfort food. You'll leave full and happy. Don't miss the apple strudel with ice cream.

1  Thank Bob_the_Editor

Reviewed January 4, 2013

A great location right off the main street of Darmstadler Landstrasse, across from the Holiday Inn Sachsenhausen. This is a great place to enjoy the best of German food in a wonderful setting. The outdoor tables are the place to be in good weather, but the inside of the restaurant is very comfortable and quaint. The food is traditional fare and the Schnitzel is prepared very well. I typically like my Schnitzel with a sauce such as JaegerSchnitzel is always good (mushroom based sauce), The Pork Knuckle is something that must be tried, it is extremely flavorful and meaty (you may feel very guilty eating this but it's soooo good). The menu has an English translation under every menu item so ordering is a breeze. The beer is wonderful. In the warmer months I'll order a Radler (which means bike in German) it is 1/2 lemonade and 1/2 Pilsner. If you want to try something authentic and only found in Frankfurt try the Apfelwein - this is a very sour tasting cider and in my opinion is an acquired taste.

Since you are so close to the cemetery which is next to the Warte it's a lovely place to take a stroll after you have eaten. German cemeteries are so beautiful since they are typically located outside in a forest like setting. Individuals take great care up keeping the graves of family members and if you are lucky you may just see a red squirrel.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I was scouting the area around the Holiday Inn in South Frankfurt (Sachsenhausen) and just stumbled on this place. I was taking pics of the turret and saw the sign stating that it is a restaurant. I went in and had the best dining experience I had the entire time I was in Frankfurt.

The place is a 300 year old guard post that was put in by the city to protect travelers from highway robbers. It has changed over the years in use but has been a neighborhood restaurant and biergarten for quite a while. It was pretty much untouched by WW2 as it is way outside the center of town where most of the bombing took place.

I had the pork schnitzel and Binder beer. Good choice. The schnitzel was thin cut and the batter was crsip while the meat was still tsaya and juicy, not all dried out. The friend potatoes served with it were perfect also and the onions in them caramalized just right. Binder bier (local brew) is crisp and does not have a lingering aftertaste so it was the perfect beverage for it. I was very happy with the service also. I tried to order in German and my waitress listened to me butcher her native language and then very politely switched to English and took my order.

There is beirgarten seating which is where I sat as it was baout as perfect a day as you can ask for. There are also indoor dining areas. The atmosphere is great and the staff friendly. Best of all is that it is only 1 block from the Holiday Inn so we will be returning to this place very soon.

1  Thank AmericanTourister59
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This restaurant is in an old watch tower. We had our first meal here. The weiner schnitzel was excellent as well as the weisse beer and the reisling wine. We ate in the courtyard. Definitely a nice place to eat and view.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Recommend this restaurant for sure - lovely outside dining area - gorgeous food, lovely atmosphere - excellent service and large portions.