“Has turned into touristy place”
Review of Iwase

Iwase
Ranked #13 of 2,473 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Innenstadt
Washington, DC
“Has turned into touristy place”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have visited this restaurant frequently over the past years. Unfortunately, it has changed substantially in terms of both deteriorating service and food. It is still OK, but it has lost its strong Japanese character and certainly no longer serves the best sushi in town. Of course, you cannot expect such a small eatery to handle all the attention (I keep on wondering how it is possible that such a tiny restaurant get's so high up in the trip advisor ranking...). It used to cater mostly to Japanese businessmen, but now mainly to tourists from the US and EU.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank DC_Thomas

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“The Japanese experience in Frankfurt”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have luck to have a friend with similar culinary concept. We had a Messe in Frankfurt and we planned dinners for this week very carefully and Iwaze was its highlight. I don't know if I can add something to my predecessors but I feel like I have to contribute. It was a wonderful experience.

When we came there on Friday to find that the small and cozy place was packed and tried to reserve a table the stuff was so warm and kind, that you should try that . It is unearth-like. I was never thrown on the street so kindly in my life… We were lucky enough to get a table on Monday.

We expected the food to be good but they have surpassed our expectations. We had a sashimi and sushi plates, tempura and udon soup and it was very good. Beside that the service is incredibly warm and nice.

It was a wonderful experience. We we’ll come back next year well reserve this place in advance.

For the food and some beers we paid 120 €.

I warmly recommend this place.

Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
“lost in Japan”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was very lucky to find two places without booking at dinner time - I recommend to make a reservation because the place is very small. I am not very familiar with Japanese food and even less with German language ... So we have expected a ...surprising dinner :). Luckily for us a very nice waitress remembered to have a "photo menu". As the only thing I have recognized in the menu was a squid, I hastened to ask one. But unfortunately "not squid left".
So our choice was made only based on the color combinations and the waitress patience.
But, at the end everything was very very tasty, well presented and served.

1 Thank Costin B
Llucmajor, Spain
“As good as always - must book to get in!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Truly authentic japanese place! The food is of high quality, fresh and tasty. Every dish is prepared with love and mastery.
Try everything else, not just the sushi, although they are dead good!
Must book a table, the place is small and sought after.
Rightly so!

2 Thank Wolfgang H
Berlin, Germany
“Give yourself a treat”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We made a reservation in advance, which we highly recommend as the place is crowded during rush hour.
They had a small menu of which especially non-mainstream food is not in stock. The waiter seemed a little bit confused about our order and doubted our food choice, as we ordered dishes which seemed not to be ordered frequently. The service was polite.
We had 6 Makizushi with Nattō (soybeans fermented), 1/2 Osashimi, 6 tuna Makizushi, 2 Nigirizushi with eel and 6 gyōza. The food quality was excellent. We paid 50 Eur incl. nonalcoholic drinks.
The portion sizes were not too large, but we (two women) were satisfied. Big males will have to dig deeper into their pockets, however, in order to be sated.
The crowd consisted mainly of middle-age business people which seemed to come for the food.
If you are looking for a more traditional Japanese restaurant, we can recommend this place.