“lost in Japan”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Innenstadt
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was very lucky to find two places without booking at dinner time - I recommend to make a reservation because the place is very small. I am not very familiar with Japanese food and even less with German language ... So we have expected a ...surprising dinner :). Luckily for us a very nice waitress remembered to have a "photo menu". As the only thing I have recognized in the menu was a squid, I hastened to ask one. But unfortunately "not squid left".
So our choice was made only based on the color combinations and the waitress patience.
But, at the end everything was very very tasty, well presented and served.

1  Thank Costin B

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Truly authentic japanese place! The food is of high quality, fresh and tasty. Every dish is prepared with love and mastery.
Try everything else, not just the sushi, although they are dead good!
Must book a table, the place is small and sought after.
Rightly so!

2  Thank Wolfgang H
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We made a reservation in advance, which we highly recommend as the place is crowded during rush hour.
They had a small menu of which especially non-mainstream food is not in stock. The waiter seemed a little bit confused about our order and doubted our food choice, as we ordered dishes which seemed not to be ordered frequently. The service was polite.
We had 6 Makizushi with Nattō (soybeans fermented), 1/2 Osashimi, 6 tuna Makizushi, 2 Nigirizushi with eel and 6 gyōza. The food quality was excellent. We paid 50 Eur incl. nonalcoholic drinks.
The portion sizes were not too large, but we (two women) were satisfied. Big males will have to dig deeper into their pockets, however, in order to be sated.
The crowd consisted mainly of middle-age business people which seemed to come for the food.
If you are looking for a more traditional Japanese restaurant, we can recommend this place.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Since this restaurant only holds 20 people max, you might have to spend a few minutes waiting for a vacant table. The place is quite busy and crowded, but the food was served quickly and of great quality, the staff even spoke some English and provided us with great service. We'll totally come back!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am always torn when it comes to choosing a restaurant in Frankfurt. I sometimes go for Iwase although my original intention might not have been Japanese. This is because of several factors. The service is consistently and unfailingly curteous, the food is always of high quality and the ambience is cozy. I always see Japanese customers here - a sign this restaurant is authentic.

Tip: Try and order what the Japanese customers are having. It is a chance to try something you may never have tried.

1  Thank Evoqueen