“Did the job.”
Review of Ritter Hotel

Ritter Hotel
Ranked #245 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed at Ritter for three nights during Christmas markets in Frankfurt 2013. Price ok for what you get. Was originally just a place for us to stay and make day trips to surrounding area markets, ended up really enjoying Frankfurt. Noisy outside on the weekend but as we were part of the revelry didn't bother us. This is a pretty charming area of Frankfurt looks-wise, but as the area is made up of bars, not much open during the day. No complaints, hotel staff let us leave luggage in lieu of early check in, so we went and checked out the market for a couple of hours and came back. Did not partake of the breakfast, looked pretty average. I would recommend the Ritter for anyone on a budget who doesn't plan to spend a lot of time in the room. Not very convenient to train station but easy walk to underground and about 15-20 walk to hauptbahnhoff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wunderwoman

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Booked this hotel through Booking.com, after reading tripadvisor I tried to cancel and ten minutes, yes ten minutes after making the booking I tried to cancel. Would you believe the hotel hadn't received the booking, but I think the fact that the owners charged me full amount and didn't let me cancel speaks volumes. We visited Frankfurt which was fabulous staying in another hotel, but visited the hotel and from the outside it looked terrible. Infact it reminded me of the story of the pied piper, with rats running through the streets.

Room Tip: find another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank SUZANNE T
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I would urge anyone reading this to AVOID this hotel. Let the following serve as a warning to people who might visit Frankfurt and happen upon this terrible hotel.

The room in the Ritter Hotel, which I had the misfortune to stay in last week had:

• a large crack around the door lock as if it had been broken into (our out of)
• mould around the shower curtain
• the shower had hairs in it and was not properly clean
• the toilet cistern was hanging sideways on the wall and about to fall off. This being on the third floor of an old building would cause serious flooding and damage if it were to fall off
• there was no curtain across the bathroom window meaning neighbours can see directly into guests naked in the shower
• the bathroom window was broken at the bottom and held together with tape. If this were to shatter on the bathroom floor it could cause serious injury to children or adults with bare feet in the bathroom
• the curtain in the bedroom window was a home-made effort comprising a piece of coloured material attached to a plastic bar as a rail, similar to what would be found in poor deprived student flats, and was falling off the wall
• the main light in the room was cracked and held together with tape. Positioned above the bed, if this tape were to fail and the already broken glass from the light were to fall, it would cause serious cuts to anyone underneath sleeping in the bed.
• and most serious of all, the room had absolutely no fire alarm or smoke alarm system. The very basic battery powered smoke alarm had been completely removed from the ceiling.

I have attached here some of the photos I took of the squalid room in Frankfurt's terrible Ritter Hotel, including of the broken taped window with no curtain; the broken taped-up light fitting, the crooked toilet cistern and the missing smoke alarm.

A quick look at the photos attached here, together with my descriptions, clearly show that this is NOT a room that this hotel should allow guests to stay in at all. It is MOST CERTAINLY NOT A ROOM THAT IS WORTH nearly €500 for one night! This is what they took from my credit card without authorisation!!

I am a reasonable man and I accepted that the city was completely full because of a pharma trade fair. So when I checked out I very politely asked a Ritter Hotel staff member to refund me part of the €498.80 they'd taken firstly because the agreed price was less. But mainly because the standard of the room provided was so very poor that I could not agree to paying €500 for it. I offered €300 which believe me was very generous (look at the photos!). She reacted with anger and shouted at me so much I was almost frightened. It is not professional behaviour at all. She refused to give me any refund and she telephoned a manager "Charlie" (he heard her shouting at me and verbally assaulting me) and he also refused to refund me. As I left the hotel, she shouted at me out in the street. Everyone could hear. It was humiliating.

On returning home I emailed the hotel with my complaint and asked them to come back to me with a proposal for a resolution. I again asked for a refund of just €198 meaning that they would have still received a whopping €300 from me for one night in this appalling room. They did not respond. I emailed again and they did not respond. Then I called Charlie who confirmed that he had received my emails. He was not prepared to give me any refund whatsoever and would not apologise for my treatment by the hotel. Instead he told me that he knew my company name from my email address and threatened to contact my company and my superiors to report how badly I had behaved!! I quickly informed him that I was in fact the owner and director of my company so he would not be very successful if he carried out his threat of trying to get me into trouble with my boss, since I am the boss. He hung up on me, and when I phoned back he said he was too busy to talk about it and hung up again.

He also accused me of having removed the smoke alarm from the room myself! This is plainly ridiculous, I would never do such a thing and would have no reason for doing so. He also said that it was perhaps me who damaged the lock of the door. Again this is completely untrue as I would never do such a thing. Also, had I been the manager of a hotel with a room that had just been criminally damaged by a guest, I would have called the police immediately and I think all hotel managers would do the same thing if their hotel room had been damaged by a guest. Yet the Ritter Hotel did not call the police and did not raise this false accusation about me damaging the room until I began to push them for a refund!

Another insight into the hotel's attitude on customer service is that Charlie, the manager at the Ritter Hotel, seemed to think that if I had not liked the room and wanted a partial refund I should have left at the time I arrived and found another room - they would have refunded me then, he said. I find this hard to believe and in any case I arrived in Frankfurt late at night 22.00h. Clearly I was very tired indeed, it was too late to start seeking a new hotel room, and in any case there were no other rooms available in the City. I was in an impossible position where the room had been sold to me using false information and at a hugely overinflated price, the room was illegal, they had my money and I had nowhere else to go. I was forced to take this dangerous and unhealthy room for the night and complain in the morning.

Since leaving the hotel, I have been reasonable, patient and done everything I can to reach a satisfactory conclusion about this, but the hotel seem unwilling to recognise my complaint.

I am a decent family man, and we travel for holidays and on business regularly all around the world (I own a small medical publishing company here in England) and I am not naturally a person who complains - preferring to put things down to experience and move on. But I have never in my life felt so financially deceived (I feel as if I have been robbed), I have not stayed in such an awful room and I have never before ever received such terrible, unprofessional, unethical and criminal treatment at the hands of a hotel staff anywhere in the world.

The owners and management of the Ritter Hotel are really a disgrace to the city of Frankfurt, their attitude to customers is one of complete contempt, they took money from my credit card without authorisation from me, and the Ritter Hotel building contains at least one room on the third floor that is not only unpleasant, ill-equipped and dirty, but poses a serious fire hazard to those who stay there.

The City's tourist and health/safety authorities should be thoroughly ashamed that they allow such an appallingly managed, dangerous, sordid and squalid hotel like the Ritter Hotel Frankfurt to continue to do business as it damages their city's good name.

I am in the long process of recovering the funds owing to me via Barclaycard/VISA as I paid for the room on a card and they have some capacity to recover the money for cardholders in certain circumstances.

The hotel is also noisy being in the party district and the night staff are pretty rude. This is covered in multiple other reviews but frankly, compared with my awful experience - the danger I was exposed to, the verbal abuse I received and the large amount of money I lost - these details about noise and slightly rude night porters are trivial.

JUST DO NOT, WHATEVER YOU DO, GO ANYWHERE NEAR THIS AWFUL HOTEL!

Room Tip: My advice: don't choose a room in this hotel. If you do, be sure to personally look at it carefu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Guy F
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Impossible to sleep due to noise coming from the street the whole night.
Shabby furniture, dirty bathroom, cockroaches on the floor.
Staff hardly speaks German nor English.
NEVER EVER GO except if you want to party all night and then fall into bed drunk ...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank LOLO H
Reviewed October 6, 2013

In the old town and surrounded by great bars and places to eat! The door is locked all the time so you have to ring the bell and hope they answer. Found it hard to communicate with some of the staff as they didnt appear to speak much German. A bit old and shabby but it was clean and it serves its puropse well. There are small winding stairs and no lift, so be aware if you have heavy/alot of luggage you will have to haul it up the steps! The breakfast was great and had alot of variety! The heaters did not work int he room, we told the reception and they didnt believe us and thought we just didnt know how to turn it on!

Room Tip: If you dont want to carry your bags all the way to the top, ask for a room on a lower level
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melly_web
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is really in a good location. The location is close to the old part of Frankfurt with a short beautiful walk across the river to the sights. The room is perfectly standard for the price market. The private bathroom is very rare of hotels in this price market. The room comes with a TV with several options which is nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. The downsides to this hotel are as follows: 1) The WiFi works very inconsistently which is very annoying. I had to walk to the local Starbucks everyday in order to use their WiFi in order to research what I was going to do for the day and do my required internet activities. 2) The breakfast is a complete waste of time. After the first day, I completely skipped it. The breakfast items sit out all morning, the quality is pretty poor even for a hotel of this market, and they fail to clean up the area. I went to breakfast rather late in the morning. I found the room full of dirty dishes that had not been picked up all morning long. It's not exactly sanitary or relaxing to eat your breakfast among everyone else's dirty dishes that have just been left on every table. It was enough to make me leave and not return. Do not pay extra for the breakfast in this hotel. Skip it and find a nice German breakfast outside. 3) There is a lot of noise from the bar areas downstairs. This did not bother me too much, but there are people yelling from their lungs at all hours of the night. If you are a light sleeper, skip this place for sure.

As I've noticed from a lot of the cheaper hotels in Frankfurt, the hotel experience is not very traditionally German. For a more traditional German experience, venture out of Frankfurt and into the suburbs. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DerMatz
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Ritter Hotel is surrounded by bars. No air conditioning, so if it is warm, and you leave the windows open, it might be a bit loud. No elevator. Room was small, but that's typical for an older hotel. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, this is not a good hotel for kids. The night time crowd can be a little rowdy. The Rhein, old town, and Romerburg are all within walking distance. The Ritter has no shuttle. The taxi ride from FRA was EUR 37.00. Breakfast included, which was good. No restaurant here, but plenty of eating and drinking establishments surrounding the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo