“Just an overnight visit....”

Mercure Hotel Frankfurt City Messe
Ranked #171 of 268 Hotels in Frankfurt
Singapore
“Just an overnight visit....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stay in Mecure Sapporo and I was impressed. So decided to give this a try since it was only a night rest before flying off to Singapore the next day.
Arrived in afternoon and was served by the receptionist by the name of Gulsen Rumbola. She was pleasant and helped us with our check in though didn't get any upgrade for Accor Gold member.
We headed out shopping for Rimowas and Gulsen was very helpful in directing us to the right location.
Came back from shopping and dinner at around 10ish pm and she's still on duty. Next morning when we went for breakfast, she was already at work! Just amazed of her working hours.
Location of the hotel is very good, close to the shopping area, Goethe / Bockenheimer Str just a 10 mins walk away and there are plenty of restuarants around.
The street in front of the hotel, Kaiser str is transformed into a food market on thursday. Not sure whether it's a daily affair. But it make checking out of the hotel quite difficult as you have to lug your luggages to the next street.
To sum it up, just a frill hotel for short business stay. Nothing to shout about . However, special commedation for Gulsen Rumbola for her excellent service and her assistance while checking out..

Room Tip: Don't face the main street, can be noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tallinn, Estonia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is a NoGo in my opinion. We have been there in February and the rooms have been so cold and the bathroom had no heating besides some redlight heating which didn`t work at all.
I didn`t understand how the place has been renovated as it was not visible at all.

I also felt cheated by the reception as the didn`t call a taxi to the airport but a transporter which didn`t have any taxi meter and just invoiceds us 30 €. The transport from the airport the day before was 25% cheaper.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Location of this hotel seemed convenient because of how close it is to the Main station. The proximity to main station, also means you are close to the sex clubs, strip clubs, casinos and homeless. Not the best place if you are with family.

The elevator to the rooms could not fit more than 2 people, so hopefully you are not claustrophobic. The room is small with a mix of new and outdated style.

The reason for the terrible rating is because of an experience with the front staff member. It was a Saturday and my friend took the train into Frankfurt to show me around the city nightlife. We decided to have a few drinks first in the room before going out. Apparently, I am not allowed to have a guest even though I paid for my room. I can understand having to sign-in/sign-out to ensure that no one is trying to get away without paying for a second person, but this was not why he stopped me. He saw two men going into the hotel and his questions were:

- Why are you taking a guy into a single room?
- What do you plan to do in there?
- How do you know each other?

Those questions are none of his business, plus they are very insulting to both me and my friend. I plan to complain and never stay in a Mercure again. I recommend the same.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Manneeeeee
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have stayed at theFormule1 ,Etap and Ibis hotels of the Accor group but this was my first visit to the Mercure brand which is of higher quality.I was lucky to get a very reduced rate in February low season but the quality did not seem to me to be that much higher than the Ibis brand considering the normal prices. However I am not complaining since I did have an excellent price deal. The breakfast price was rather steep so I went out for a coffee and some bread rolls down the street. The hotel was ideal for my purposes in so far as it was very near the main train station. You can walk out of the station by going down into the subway under the main street and choose the Dusseldorfer exit (city side) out of the subway which brings you to the bottom of the street where you will find the hotel. You stay dry all the way from the station because there is a covered passage all the way to the hotel - about a 5mins walk from the station. The hotel is near to the Messe if you go on business to one of the big fairs held there. The area around the station is of course rather seedy so watch your step and keep a close eye on your wallet!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Recently Renovated, clean and elegant hotel. We stayed for one night, the bedroom was nice and the bathroom was lovely (very modern). It is located within 1 1/2 mile from center of town, and has no places to eat nearby. The breakfast buffet is one of the best things this hotel has, hot and cold cereals, fruits, different kind of breads, a great variety. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had made a prepaid non-cancelable reservation at the Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City. When I arrived, Clarion had sold my room to someone else. Clarion found me a room at the Mercure Hotel. Of course, the Mercure did not have elevator service to my room, so I was forced to walk-up the stairs to get to the room. The Mercure did not have a bar. The Mercure did not have a restaurant. The Mercure was not near any restaurants and it was raining. Suffice it to say that I was not in a very good mood, but there was a convention in town, and I had a flight leaving the next morning so I did not have any choices. But I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is advertised as a 4 star hotel in the center of the city. We booked for a weekend (2 nights) a Privilege Room, which was supposed to be the best room available. Actually the room seemed smaller than an IBIS hotel. The bed was very small for two persons, and actually it was prepared with just one pillow and one duvet....

We had to have twice the card replaced for entering the room...the room was at the seventh floor....

and the elevator just arrives to the sixth floor (the receptionist apologized for this). By the way, you need to be careful not to hit your head against a piece of the construction when you climb the stairs (indicated with yellow/black tape....).

There was no parking place in the hotel parking and we did not get good indications where to park (...."just look outside"....). The breakfast was just up to 10:30 also during the weekend. We got there at 10:00 and we were immediately told that they would close at 10:30....the cups and the dishes were stained (probably bad quality ceramic).

On the second day we got a pale in the parking lot: fortunately we had a small car...it is very narrow and the walls are full of traces of cars that did not make it well... DO NOT USE IT!!!!.

In summary a major disappointment .... Probably OK for business trips but definitely to be avoided for couples or families!!!

Also location not good for couples and families: at the edge of the Frankfurt Red Lights district.... did not feel very safe in the evening!

Room Tip: No point to pay more and book a Privilege room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple