“SMELLS, AWFULL, COCKROACH, RUDE”
Review of Hotel Zeil

Hotel Zeil
Ranked #165 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“SMELLS, AWFULL, COCKROACH, RUDE”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We did not expect very much because of the low cost, we just wanted a clean bed. This was so bad that we decided to leave. It smelled awfull, there was hair everywhere in the bathroom and in the bed! The woman behind the desk was very rude. I have never seen such a bad service. We looked at 3 rooms but they were all dirty. In 1 of the rooms I saw a small cockroach. We decided to leave and told her why. She told bookings.com that we did not show at all and for that reason we did not even get a refund. Never again, that's for sure...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank guldog2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 18, 2012

no pre-prepared rooms. phone not working. very high tarriff for room. free wifi. small park at rear. no aircon, only table fan. cold breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for room on higher floor to avoid noise from street
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Aspi123

Travelers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Vilnius
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Its 150m from the main shopping street Konstablerwashe and so to the closest underground station, it means easy travelling to the Messe only 5 stops, 15min. Make sure you visit shopping centre ZEIL for plenty shops restaurants and other fun.
Hotel itself is very old place, the decor is outdated, the bathroom was cold. Breakfast OK, sausages, eggs, tea, coffee fills you up for the morning and hard work in Messe. On the other hand bed was clean, towels were clean... but its more like a pension not hotel... and ofcourse the Messe rate was skyhigh for this kind of place. I think there are better places to stay during the Messe, but I was happy with the location, during my business trips I choose to stay in the heart of the city, so if you are not a hudge fan of a brand new modern hotels and you like to be always in place and you can get a good rate for the room, than its ok I think. make sure u make a reservation for the German restaurant Zum Grauen Bock for a nice meal with your business partners or family, friends...
Have fun.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ervis555
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Near zeil shopping and market that sets up in the square, 2 mass transit stops nearby with 2 trains to airport, nightlife in easy walking distance, rooms are large with moderate furniture, free good cold breakfast, WiFi. Desk fan in room. Room television is small. Elevator is 2 person sized, only 6 small parking spots, but cul du sac behind hotel. Minifridge did not cool. Bathroom needed some repair - toilet seat split. Shower doors open only enough for a hollywood model to slip by, soap and shower fixtures loose, hot water pressure varies with use. Better value hotels for the same price in the area.

Room Tip: higher room is better for noise and breeze if opening window.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 24, 2010

What a ripoff! My daughter and I booked Hotel Ziel through "booking.com" for a 4 night stay. Shortly after booking we realized we would have liked to rent a car and spend one night of our brief visit to Germany in another City. My daughter contacted both the hotel and booking.com 5 days in advance of our arrival to change the booking. We found out that the fine print says that the entire 300 Euro booking is unchangeable, non-refundable (unless it is 45 days in advance). Who ever heard of such a thing? This wasn't some deeply discounted price or special deal. I have never heard of not being able to cancel a hotel booking with more than 24 hours notice. I will never use booking.com again and advise others to avoid it.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank lisabalex
Germany
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We chose this hotel because it advertized "free parking" and also because of the location, and reviews. Parking in Frankfurt can be 15 to 20 euros per day. Upon arrival, the parking lot held only 6 spaces, and street construction did not permit access to the entire parking lot. The young receptionist woman shrugged her shoulders, and was not helpful. I repeated several times that I booked this hotel because it advertizes free parking. She asked what I expected her to do. I said, "provide free parking, or pay for me to park someplace." I was angry, but did not curse, did not call names. My tone, though indicated I was angry. The receptionist said, "You don't talk to people like this" and she went inside. I drove around for 45 minutes, tried to park on the street, lost 4 euros, and eventually came back and the woman told me to park behind two cars in her lot and block them in. Had I been verbally abusive, I would have understood her behavior. However, I was appropriately angry that she initially did nothing to help and felt no obligation to provide parking.
The room was large, clean, except for mold or fungus growing in the tile of the shower. The breakfast was good. I would neve stay here again, though. The woman took no responsibility for the parking situation. She never apologized, thought it inappropriate for me to be upset, and initially did nothing to try to provide me with parking, even though this is what they advertized.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYer_in_Germany
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The price per night is pretty cheap. Bathroom - shower room is very small. No extra cost for 3-Bed room, so that is good thing when you have a bigger group.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business