“Great Location”

Ranked #106 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
“Great Location”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Scala on August 4th 2013 for 4 nights.

From the airport I took the train to town center. There I visited the Tourism Department and was given a map. I was advised to take public transportation or a taxi to the Hotel but I walked.

I enjoyed the walk, perhaps 20 minutes. All flat, and free (and good chance to take in the city).

There was road works going on around the hotel but I was able to find it with no problem using my map from the Tourism Department at the central train station.

I loved the location of the hotel; I was able to walk to all the sights and museums around the whole city! (Do remember I enjoy walking).

I do have one note to warn travelers in the summer months. My room did not have air conditioning. It was 92 degrees and my room was very very very hot. I believe it is usually cool or cold in Frankfurt but this heat without air conditioning was terrible.

I made some friends around the neighborhood which was great (I traveled) alone. There was an older gentleman who worked the night shifts. He seemed a little grumpy and his only words to me were that my friends outside were too loud.

I would normally let this go, but the noise from the construction outside at 6am was so awful I just couldn't let the man get away with speaking down to me. I advised the man, that a few folks talking outside at 6pm in the evening is nothing compared to the extremely loud construction that started at 6am every morning.

I spoke to the the morning reception and she said she called the construction company to complain but no luck. The noise was absolutely dreadful. 6am is too early to allow such construction, I am very surprised the city would permit it.

I would make a suggestion to management. When these heat is so dreadful and the noise so offensive, I would shy away from being rude to/speaking down to paying guests trying to take a positive spin on such distractions. And again, it was only the male night watchman who took such an unpleasant disposition. All other staff members I found to be very agreeable.

Maria was very kind and always happy to help me. I felt she went out of her way to make sure I was ok. She helped me with maps, directions, and the like. I really appreciated her help! The morning shift was also very pleasant, I appreciated the kind lady taking my bags and giving me wifi access as I was too early to get into my room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Adam F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Room was fine, bathroom very small but ok for a 1-night stay. Would have appreciated notification of the difficulties due to the roadworks as these had been going on for a couple of months as the signs placed in town to guide you to the hotel sent you up a street which was closed! We expect better from best western hotels!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This Hotel is in a very central location just north of the Zeil and within 10 minutes walk of the Romer. It is also only a 5 minute walk to to the subway (2 stops away from the Hauptbahnhof). It is very reasonably priced with an extremely friendly staff. The only caveat is that there is no air conditioning in the rooms in the cheapest category. This wasn't a big deal as Frankfurt only had highs in the mid 70s when I was there (middle of July), and was much cooler at night when I was actually in the room. However, it is a surprise to most Americans that any hotel would not have AC in all rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
los angeles, ca
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family of 3 people have stayed here for a night. Great location, walking distance to the shopping area, etc. The service was not the BEST, but they were still polite. They have a nice breakfast area however it is not included in the room price. The room was clean and nice. If you do not have a handheld device for internet, they have an average computer in the lobby. Nothing too major to complain about.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed in this Best Western Hotel Scala for one night with my friends. It is a nice hotel with very cosy and comfortable rooms. The location is simply great. In a quite area but very close to the main shopping street - Zeil.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Simply put the best thing about Scala is its Location by transportation and walking distance from the Ziel Shopping Center. It lacks amenities such as a gym or room service. The WiFi was not steady and we kept having to get new passwords for it from the front desk. We weren't told there was a charge for breakfast so some days we only took an apple from the breakfast bar and got charged 20 euro. This was my first time in Frankfurt so I had to adjust to everything being smaller (the bathroom was kid sized, the tub especially was very tight) and in addition you get charged for things that are usually free such as shopping bags, the bathroom in the train station or extra ketchup at McDonalds. Scala is clean and its staff polite but at the end of the day you are getting what you pay for. Watch out for charges that aren't readily disclosed and ask before presuming things are free. I got an unexpected giant bill at checkout.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OLOT, Catalonia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a basic hotel, very close to Zeil shopping area and to plenty of restaurants. Prices are very reasonable even in Fair days, which is not usual in Frankfurt. Underground station of konstablerwache is at walking distance with direct connections to Frankfurt Messe, which you can reach in 10 minutes. Rooms are small but reasonably clean. Breakfast is very standard. The main problem, specially for business travelers is that WIFI is not working properly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business