“An optimal choice”

Ranked #104 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Vail, Colorado
“An optimal choice”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Location within steps of the pedestrian area and Konstabler Wache station for public transport. Modernized and well appointed room, Wi-Fi, flat screen TV.. An excellent value for money option in downtown Frankfurt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were directed to this hotel location by another BW hotel in Frankfurt because we wanted to be near shopping. The other BW hotel staff was kind enough to call the Scala hotel location, and had the last available room held for us.
I'm sorry I do not remember the young lady's name (she had very short hair), and she was very pleasant on the phone & greeted us very pleasantly when we arrived shortly after at the BW Scala Hotel. She checked us in & oriented us & helped us on our way to the major shopping area 1 block away. She was a great first exposure to the hotel, very pleasant & enthusiastic.
The room was clean, as was the entire hotel. There are numerous informal eating establishments nearby, across the street & within 2 blocks. the Doner & Thai restaurants across the street were quite tasty & had friendly staff as well.
Overall, a very good stay & experience,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HawaiiTraveler5_0
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I stayed 2 nights. We were in walking distance to the Main river where you can take a river cruise. We were there during the protests. We never had any challenges and Susie helped us set up a full day tour of the Rhine river, which was great. Access to the airport was easy and fast. We will return to this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Phillielady
Geneva
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Even now, looking at the pictures -- I can't believe this is the same place that I stayed. My room was a tiny little prison off the elevator and then one more floor by steps. The only place to put my luggage was the center of the floor so that I had to step over it to get to the bathroom. My bed was 3/4 of standard twin size shoved up against the wall and there was no way to move left or right in the corner shower either. I was a bit put off in seeing that you had to "upgrade" to rooms with AC -- it was cool so I didn't think it would be a problem, except the bar below made so much noise that I had to shut the window and then the air was so so stale all night. I was also put off that breakfast was an extra 14 Euro -- if I had gotten a good deal, maybe that would be ok, but I still paid 95 Euro for the room. This place has put me off of Best Western a bit. Generally their Europe city-center hotels have a bit more charm and comfort -- put I didn't experience that. Although in looking at the pictures, someone must be!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an AC room just to fan in some fresh air without the bar noise outside.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BinGeneva
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Scala is a three star Best Western hotel in Frankfurt, where I spent three nights at 53 € each with my discount on my way back to Miami Beach from Paris via Madrid and London.

Certainly, this is not the shortest way to go from Paris to Miami, but during the summer I like to travel like Montaigne (one of the main contributors to my intellectual development, together with Voltaire, Vigny and Proust) used to do back in the sixteenth century.

It has an EXCELLENT LOCATION, only one block from KONSTABLER WACHE big transportation center with several underground lines and, most of all, where you get off from trains S-8 or S-9 straight from the airport (only about six stations I think, and less than a half hour) for 4.10 €. About 3 or 4 blocks on a pedestrian street will put you in Hauptwache and the river with many restaurants is only a half hour walk to the south. But if you are the type of person renting a Segway in Miami Beach rather than walking a few blocks along the ocean, you may take bus 30 or 36 a couple of (long...) blocks from the hotel.

Room 74 on the seventh floor (out of nine but the lift only goes as far as the eight) is a small room, half way between the French closet where I slept last Thursday (at Kyriad Orly) and a single room at the Econo Lodge on Virginia Avenue (Atlanta airport) with a wide open view over Frankfurt roofs and a church belfry a few blocks to the south, by the river.

It has two single beds army size side by side without frame (unlike the Palmgarten ex-BW), a small styleless desk with a padded chair, a modern uncomfortable club chair with low back rest and the smallest bathroom I have seen in a long time (even smaller than the one of my Kyriad closet in Orly!). It also has a very efficient AC with a digital temperature selector and a TOTALLY INEFFICIENT FRIG that not only does not produce ice but will melt an ice cube placed on the metallic plate diffusing the cold in just a couple of hours! And since this low end refrigerator has NO temperature selector (unlike most frigs I've seen in several hotels like the Quality Suites Rue de Tolbiac in Paris), there is nothing you can do about it!

I know, I know: some people like to drink hot beer... But in tne US, where Coke is already ice cold out of the refrigerator, it is a habit to serve it in a glass full of ice.

However, when I asked a very nice and helpful young lady at the reception if I could "borrow" some ice cubes, she said that she had none and added that she had already asked her boss to get an ice machine but he had answered that "ice cubes are not part of the German culture"...

Since Voltaire has always been my main "maître à penser", I was only slightly surprised by the stupidity of this reason for not having a single ice cube in this three star hotel! After all, Voltaire said that only one percent...

However, I was so upset, obviously, that she called me five minutes later saying that she had found a way to make some ice cubes and that I would have them in two or three hours!

When I finally got half a dozen of those precious small ice cubes later that evening, I tried an experience: I only used five and placed the sixth one right on the small metallic plate that diffuses the cold; and guess what? Two hours later it had totally disappeared!

I don't expect European hotels to have an ice machine on every floor, as you find in thousands of budget hotels at $50 or $60 per night, not even to have one machine for the whole building, as you find in the cheapest, low end motels in the US; but at least, I do expect them to supply some ice cubes when I need them to have my Gin and tonic watching the news in my room!

By the way, they must have about 30 channels BUT 29 of them are in German and ONLY CNN is in English. They also have French TV 5 Monde BUT they only broadcast in French during the night and during the whole day they broadcast in German, which is a rather stupid way of promoting French culture! But remember Voltaire once more: only one percent...

Fortunately, the hotel personel was nice and helpful; but before I let you go, I must point out that there is NO lobby.

I assume there was one originally because the space is there, but it has been transformed into an extra breakfast room where they will let you sit on a chair for a few minutes. But there is NO sofa, NO club chair where to wait for a taxi in this three star hotel...

One thing is certain: I noticed that stars tend to land freely on European hotels. After all, there are trillions of them flying around!

I suppose they did this transformation because, at 14 Euros (which converts to $17.60 US a/o June 24, 2012), it is more profitable to have an extra breakfast room than a lobby...

WHAT??? $17.60 US FOR BREAKFAST??? At that rate it must certainly be a very good deal for them!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Efrin_Knight
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We arrived fairly late to our hotel and when the taxi pulled up my lip probably dropped a fair bit. My first impression wasn't that good. Anyway the booking had been made for us and had been paid for so we went in ,went through normal procedure then went up to our room. Still the doubts were there. The rooms were quite small compared to what we are used and the bathroom very small. From now on though my opinion changed. I need to say that we had just completed four flights which started at 6.30pm from Palmerston North on Thursday 21 June to here Frankfurt. We arrived in Frankfurt at about 9pm Friday 22. Long time in the air. I guess you could say we were extremely tired. The bed was so good, the shower was very good and the buffet breakfast was fantastic. Selection amazing. We will be back.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor at the front and it had been a little noisy but that was down to Germany be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank gem059
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here in january 2011 for 3 nights.

Good location, walking distance from the shopping area and a lot of restaurants and bars. It is not more than 100 mts walking from the metro station that goes directly to the airport. Just outside the stairs of the metro station, turn to your right and keep walking and you will find it. Another tip, just outside the metro station, walking towards the main street, 20 mts away from the stairs, you can eat a delicious hot dog.

Rooms are clean, good interiors, very decent place. Shower was small, but I guess this happens in other hotels in frankfurt and europe.
I already stayed in few Best western hotels across 4 countries, and this one is above the average. I can recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo