Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
NewYorkIndyTraveler
Binghamton, New York

Highway Robbery!

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 23, 2007
We booked this hotel thinking it would be close to the train station and also a step above the usual hotels in a main station area. The former proved to be true (about 5 minutes from the Hauptbahnhof) while the second was only marginally true. We paid 210 euro for a perfectly ordinary room with one small window. The sill was high and the noise from the outside - sounded like garbage being thrown down a chute - was irritating. The so-called modern bathroom included a bowl type sink which was very user-unfriendly and a very small shower although there was a separate tub. There was no clock in the room AND most significantly no breakfast was included unless you wanted to spend an additional 40 euro for two!
So we decided to search for another hotel in the area and found the Hotel Manhattan (wow! read separate review) and checked out of the Steigenberger after one night. Upn checking out, we were billed for breakfast which we did not have. Check your bill carefully for additional charges. We can't understand such favorable reviews for such a mediocre hotel a such outrageous prices.

Date of stay: April 2007
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
3.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
2.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
4.0 of 5 bubblesCheck in / front desk
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
RuthS3556, Manager at Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings, responded to this review
Responded Feb 8, 2019
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you were not happy with our hotel.
Your Seigenberger Hotel Metropolitan team.
$106
  • Hilton
5.5 miles from Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings
Room service
View more hotels in Frankfurt
All reviews the main train station air conditioning breakfast buffet yogurt hauptbahnhof germany convenience tub
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2007

The Metropolitan is one of dozens of hotels located around the main train station. Some of these hotels are quite decent, some downright grubby but only a handful are what one would generally describe as nice or pleasant. The Metropolitan most definitely belongs to this category. I've tried many hotels in Frankfurt and it's my absolute favorite of what the city has to offer. It's right next to the Frankfurt main station, the location is both convenient for visitors of the trade fairs and it's also reasonably close to the downtown area. (two subway stops or a 15 minute walk)

Although the hotel is quite large, it has a distinct boutique hotel feel. Reception is very professional and well groomed and the person checking you in will also bring you up to your room and explain how things like the safe, lighting, internet etc. work. The standard rooms are a wee bit on the small side but still perfectly acceptable but an upgrade to the next category is definitely worthwhile. My only suggestion in regard to the staff would be to fit them with a bit less matronly uniforms, they don't quite fit the otherwise very elegant surroundings.

The rooms are very pleasantly decorated, colors are various shades of brown and even the art on the wall is much better than usual. The last time I stayed here, I actually really liked the painting on the wall! Amenities include in-room safe, bathrobe, slippers, mini-bar with beer, juice and soft drinks (free in all room categories above standard) and a TV (not flat unfortunately) with pay TV channels. Internet is exemplary, you have either the choice of wired LAN, WLAN or dial-up through your modem and all of these connections are free. This is exactly how it should be, availability of a free internet connection for me is now a reason to either book or not book a hotel.

The bathrooms are lovely with lots of marble and are furnished with thick towels and lots of cosmetic products, some of the smaller rooms only have a shower but with a huge, rain forest shower head, most also have a bathtub.

There is one really annoying thing that bugs me about the Metropolitan's service which you may encounter or not. The beds are fit with day pillows, these are exchanged in the evening during turn down service. If you happen to be in your room around 6-8 pm and have a do-not-disturb sign outside, you might miss turn down service without knowing it. These day pillows are not made for sleeping on. Maybe you'll, like it happened to me several times, arrive back at your room at midnight and find that your bed hasn't been turned down and you won't have a decent pillow to sleep on. Other hotels won't disturb you but they'll slip a note under your door offering turn-down service at a later time.

The hotel has a very cozy and elegant bar and a restaurant which doubles as the breakfast room. I haven't tried the restaurant yet but judging by the offerings at the bar and breakfast, I have no doubt that the food there will be way above average. Have a superb club-sandwich at the bar and definitely don't miss breakfast. When I stay in hotels, I usually just go out for a coffee and a croissant in the morning but the Metropolitan's breakfast spread is for once really worth the high price all 5 star hotels tend to charge. Apart from a really outstanding buffet (the rare roast beef is almost worth the price), you also have a choice of a la carte items which are cooked to order and served. The menu includes a vast variety of items, I recommend to for once forget the calorie-counting and indulge in their scrumptious Eggs Benedict!

Depending on the day and season, a standard room here is available from 99 Euros without breakfast. Compared to the hotel prices in other financial capitals of the world, this is an incredible bargain.

Date of stay: December 2006
10  Thank CamelClass
RuthS3556, Manager at Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2019

Thank you for your great review. We are looking forward to your next visit. Your Steigenberger Hotel Metropolitan Team.

Reviewed December 16, 2006

This hotel was exactly as it states on the website. The suana and steam room were a great end to our long days of siteseeing. If you want a central location from which to sightsee and take day trips, this hotel is perfect. The train station is just a few steps across the street and when you get home late at night, there is plenty to eat as most of the restaurants are open in the station. The staff speaks English and are always very helpful.

Date of stay: November 2006
2  Thank Lea J
RuthS3556, Manager at Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2019

Reviewed November 16, 2006

The Steigenberger Metropolitan is just as stated - modern decor and a very convenient location if you will be using the train station as it is directly across the street. A short walk will take you to the center shopping district and a little further to the historic area. All staff very polite and very pleasant. Room and bathroom are very modern decor - the only thing I didn't care for was that the windows are very high and hard to see out of but not a really big deal. The breakfast was excellent - the buffet has a plentiful choice plus they will make you eggs of your choice at no charge. On our departure day the hotel arranged a taxi ride to the airport for us at a reasonable fee. All in all a very nice experience at this hotel.

Date of stay: October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank jojo
RuthS3556, Manager at Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2019

Reviewed July 20, 2005

I stayed at the Metropolitan for a week in July 2005 while attending a seminar at the European Central Bank.

To keep it short, this hotel featured very stylish, modern decoration. Even the lights in the nice wide hallways light up as you walk down the hall. The rooms are of a good size by European standards and are fitted with a very nice bathroom, also of a modern style.

My only minor complaints:

- the service was fine, but the staff didn't seem to go the "extra mile"
- no internet computer terminal in the lobby for guest use
- I had no English TV channels during my stay because "a recent storm knocked out the satellite", although the hotel right next door had no such problems.
- for most of the week, the hotel was out of North American electricity outlet adaptors
- this may be standard in Europe, although I've never seen it there before...the staff made up your bed in the late morning and returned again in the evening at about 6:30pm to "take down" the bed and prepare it for the night. This touch seemed like style taken to excess, in my opinion. I found it intrusive to have someone knock and enter my room each night when I was relaxing after the seminar. Making the bed once in the morning is enough, thanks!

Overall, I had a satisfactory stay at the Metropolitan, and would definitely stay there again. It was good value for the money and likely the best hotel around the main train station area.

Date of stay: July 2005
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
5  Thank Culture4976

Reviewed March 8, 2005

I can't really write a review on this as when I arrived at 1830 was told that there had been a mistake and that my reservation had been cancelled. When I pressed them to tell me who had cancelled it they admitted that they had over-booked and thus had arranged for me to stay at their sister hotel next door - the Intercity.

Not impressed - will never stay there again.

9  Thank Swindoneric
RuthS3556, Manager at Metropolitan Hotel by Flemings, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2019

Dear Eric,
so sorry this happened. Please accept our sincerest apologies.
Your Steigenberger Hotel Metropolitan Team.