Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt/Main)
Book In Advance
Ranked #16 of 434 things to do in Frankfurt
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1858, this is one of the most important zoos in Europe, containing some 5,000 animals.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Just o.k.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

the zoo is fine- not the best i have been to, and the kids didnt even ask to come again... i think the near by "opel zoo" is nicer.

Visited September 2012

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Not the happiest zoo”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I should start this review by stating I love animals, and, I am very particular about my zoos. I don't like most of them. I understand that animals in captivity live much longer than in the wild, and I am sure they are well cared for. The animals appeared healthy.

I like zoos where the animals seem to appear unrestricted with lots of place to run around.

What I didn't like here, is that several of the animals are in cages or fenced in containment areas that I considered too small. I am not a professional here, but, the giraffes, for example, seemed way too small for the building they were in. It seemed their heads were too close to the ceiling.

Other animals' containers were mixed, some had lots of space for their size, and others seemed a bit cramped.

The zoo is in the middle of a huge renovation so it may all be better when they are finished. I was there in 2012 or so.

Visited August 2012
Yokohama, Japan
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“surprisingly good day out at Frankfurt zoo.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Visited with our nearly 2 year old on a trip to Frankfurt really just for something to do for the day. I haven't been to a zoo in years and wasn't expecting much. However the Frankfurt zoo surprised on the upside. Lots of animals to see in a clean, well designed environment that looked about as animal friendly as possible for a zoo. Youngsters could pet the goats. You can get a bite to eat which wasn't bad and it's only 2 stops on the train or tram from the centre of the city. If the weather is good and you have kids, this is a good half day trip out.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank YokohamaGeezer
istanbul
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Nice place to spent whole day with kids.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It is worth to spend whole day with kids. Arrive early on weekends the line can be too long. Admission fee was reasonable. It is not the best zoo in the world but you won't regred it.

Visited August 2012
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Loved this zoo!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been living in Frankfurt for 10 years and had been to the zoo years ago, but had some friends visiting me recently so we decided to go. We had a great time!!
We weren't really sure if 3 younger adults would enjoy going to a zoo but we actually really enjoyed it. It's very big and there are many things to see!
The animals seem to be treated well and the entrance is very cheap!
Definitely worth visiting, especially with children.

Visited April 2013