“Great fun for kids”

Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt/Main)
Book In Advance
Ranked #16 of 440 things to do in Frankfurt
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1858, this is one of the most important zoos in Europe, containing some 5,000 animals.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Nice place! Sundays you can go there with your kids and let them have fun with small and big animals. Maybe it is not to big but the stuff is friendly and there is enough to see.

2  Thank Iwa L

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Frankfurt Zoo was a lot bigger than I had anticipated it being.
We had allocated 2 hours for the visit, but could have been there a lot longer.
Great for kids and adults alike. Admission is 8euro for adults, which isn't too bad really considering the variety of animals they have.
Unfortunately the main entrance was closed, looks like it was being refurbished so there was an entrance round the side that was labelled.
Generally good fun.

3  Thank Zezepants
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The zoo is located in the middle of the city centre. The entrance did not look too good but what I experienced inside was quite amazing. (consider it's a tiny zoo) There were loads of animals and all were sorted into different categories. I like the nocturnal area most. There were loads of special animals within this park. I think it's a must go attraction if you like animals :)

2  Thank jacjacjacx
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is an interesting Zoo but nothing special. However I found it an visited it in a novel way.
I was told to try try a tour of the city using the Apfel Bus. Intrigued I asked the hotel how to find this and they directed me to the nearest stop..
This is bus that tours the city stopping at points of interest where one can get off and rejoin at any time. That is no different you are thinking to many other cities however the difference is the bus you travel in is a vintage one and throughout the trip they serve bottles of strong Apfel Wine and snacks free of charge! After several bottles the world looks a better place! You can stay on the bus as long as you like but we got out to recover at the Zoo! THE zoo is fine but nothing special but worth a visit.. However there are plenty of other interesting stops along the way particularly recommended is the rebuilt old town, Completely destroyed during the 2nd world war but rebuilt exactly as it was . AMAZING!
Give it a try but also try to remain sober

1  Thank RUSSELL G
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at about 11 on a Sunday, having decided spontaneously to visit the zoo as it is one of the few things we were sure would be open. It was a freezing day but lots of the exhibits were inside which was a huge relief.

We almost didn't go into the Bat cave as we thought it would be like Chester Zoo with free flying bats. in fact it had lots of little nocturnal animals which my 2 yr old loved!
The entry and food prices were considerably less than we are used to in Britain but not sure if Germans would say the same. When we go again we will probably eat at one of the restaurants but get one child meal for the children to share as it was a big enough portion for me. If the weather is warmer we'll probably join the locals eating at the picnic area by a good playground where you can get hot dogs and chips. it was really crowded there at lunch time.

The zoo is very small in terms of walking so 2 or 3 hours was fine for us to see most animals but they have all the usual, big cats, monkeys and apes, Zebras, giraffes, rhinoceros etc. the baby giraffes was a real hit.

If you want to see a modern zoo with animals in naturalistic setting this probably isn't the zoo for you. it's probably worth checking out the night zoo. My children are too young for this at the moment.

2  Thank Manc_Mummy