“Budget brilliance”

City Hotel Mercator
Ranked #205 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Normally in my reviews I say you get what you pay for, but in this instance I won't! We stayed for three nights on a bed and breakfast basis and paid £98. We arrived late at night and reception was closed - no reception, a simple phone call, code entry, and the key magically dropped down into a machine!

Breakfast was great - the usual stuff.

Noise - we were disturbed on Monday morning by the weekly bin collection but we simply shut the window it was fine. It was pretty warm in the room though.

I had some concerns about our room being so close to the top of the communal stairs - I needn't have worried as there was a small porch type arrangement so it was quiet.

A great location and a great base from which to explore.

Reception were fine - I am not one for having 'love in' with staff and their approach suited me fine.

I would happily recommend this place for a seriously good value place to rest your head.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Mercator Hotel for one night after a long flight to Frankfurt.

The room was clean and tidy, not huge but that's no drama. It was a convenient location, about a 10-minute walk into downtown Frankfurt. The shower was a bit small but also not a big concern. We had no problems with noise, it was very quiet where we were.

I would've given this hotel 3-stars but the extra star came from the great customer service we experienced there (and good customer service seems limited in Frankfurt).

We landed at 6:30am in Frankfurt and went straight to the hotel to see if we old leave our bags there until check-in. They went one better and let us check straight in. The lovely gentleman who checked us in also (without asking) got out a map, showed us where we were, where is good to go and when is a good time to go there. He also straight up told us about the free wifi and gave us the password. We dropped in several more times to ask questions which he answered for us with no worries.

All up it was a clean, comfortable, friendly place and I would return if I was to go back to Frankfurt.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great location, just a couple of blocks from busy commercial Berger street with shops and lots of good restaurants. Less than a 10 minute walk to downtown Frankfurt. Fairly quiet, clean, good breakfast and very friendly helpful staff. Booked online but cheaper if you call them directly.

Room Tip: They have single rooms in the attic,cute and inexpensive
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The hotel is located 10mins walking distance from the main zeil street. Next to the hotel is a very nice Italian restaurant and on the main road (close to the tram station) is an inexpensive bakery. Rooms are pretty large. 3 of us stayed in the room and and everything is very clean.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hotel is in a great location with tram around the corner, and walkable to lots of restaurants, shops, and the river. The room was kept clean daily. There is a lot of street noise in the morning and hallway noise from anyone closing their door. Our room did not have a fan in it, and its was pretty hot (no AC) but ask for a fan - that will keep you cool and also help drown out some of the noise. We booked through hotels.com and its description for this hotel/room said there was an in-room safe and minibar, but neither are present. Also, bring your own shampoo - a combo bodywash/shampoo is all that's provided. If you're looking for value, this could be a good option for you.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Having arrived from trip in NY, the Euro 40 a night is a steal ! My room was clean and the floors were timber (thank God, otherwise for those with allegies carpets are a curse). I was here in spring and on a wam day say 28 degrees Celsuis you got only a standfan to cool down (not sure if this applies to all rooms).

The good part of the hotel is price but be prepared to pay Eur 70 during busier period and E130 or more during the 3 major fairs held in Frankfut (i am told one for cars, the other for books and 3rd eludes my memory).

Breakfast needs to be booked in advance at Eur 8 per pax. As there are many restaurants 5 minutes away towards the busy Konstabler Metro, you need not have to eat downstairs if you can walk about for breakfast en route to the Metro. Yes there is a italian restaurant across the street and further up near the polizei (police station there is a restaurant as well as a supermarket, As this hotel is semi suburban there is homey feeling around the hotel.

I would come back again but need to watch the dates to aviod peak season rates.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. Unfortunately I was there on business and somebody else did my booking. I would have chosen maybe the other hotel which is in front of this one. The hotel is quite central and main attractions are within a walking distance. It's a good compromise but the price was OUTRAGEOUS, then I discovered that there was an international business conference going on in the city so all the hotels had horrible prices.
However, the hotel is clean and breakfast is ok (lot of packaged stuff unfortunately).
The room I stayed in was quiet but the windows wouldn't open and were without blids. Moreover the bathroom (very clean) was without shower and with a bathtub.
There was also a misunderstanding with the bookings but the staff didn't lose the patience and was quite helpful in trying to find a solution.
There are no restaurants nearby (only Italian) but the main shopping and old areas are quite near. The city has a good transport system should you decide not to walk.
The area is quiet.