“Do NOT stay here!!!! I almost went to the police!”
Review of Hotel Elbe

Hotel Elbe
Ranked #239 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
USA
“Do NOT stay here!!!! I almost went to the police!”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

The worst hotel receptionists I ever dealt with. Hotel tried to jack up the price as I checked in and I duly refused. Booked with hostelbookers at a fixed rate and paid 10% booking fee to them. And was asked to pay back the hotel the booking fee when checking in! Hostelbookers didn't take the issue with the hotel as I informed them afterwards. Was rudely refused by the then receptionist to speak with the owner or manager on the spot and was later charged for no show by the hotel!!! Dodgy clientele. I saw the room and it is very small. In an area (red-light district) not very well lit. Book and stay at your own risk.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank traveller00001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2008

After a nine hour plane flight and a walk with ridiculously clumsy baggage across a steaming hot city, all we wanted was a place to drop our bags and fall onto a bed, preferably never to get up again. And even with expectations that low (at the time) we were very dissappointed with the hotel. Coming to the hotel we found ourselves in a street with nightclubs and prostitutes, and upon entering, the hotel was very small and very modernicity-lacking. At the reception, we were greeted and given a key, after which we made our way up to our room. Imagine our surprise when walking into our room there was coca cola cans on the bedtable, somebody's loofa in the bathroom, obviously no clean towels and the sheets were not changed. Suspecting that somebody might still be living in the room, and knowing that it obviously hasn't been cleaned, we came back to the reception to inform the too-casually dressed receptionist of our not-cleaned room, to which he had the nerve to ask "What makes you think it hasn't been cleaned?". Finally having gotten a key to a clean room, we were somewhat at peace. However, the hotel is placed in a nightclub district, so there are prostitues and very questionable individuals outside at night. The room was not air conditioned. Perhaps I have expectations much too high, but where I come from, a place like Elbe would be shut down in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank blueberryICE

Travelers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I choosed this hotel taking into account the proximity to the central station as I'd arrived to FRA by plane and would leave the following morning to Hannover by train.
The hotel is located only 3 blocks from the train station, so it's OK if you're travelling alone or with friends and need to be near the public transport for a short period stay. It's no recomendable for families for the neighborhood is not very safe, although I guess it was that specific street since further up I could find fine restaurants and shops.
The room was small as well as the bathroom and there was no cable on the TV. It all looked very dated and dark. The breakfast, included on the price, was less than OK, but for the price paid I could not ask for more.
The recepcionist (a Tunisian) was very helpful and gentle (even lent me an electricity conversor so I didn't have to go and buy one when I saw that I couldn't charge my Ipod).
I would recommend this hotel for a short stay mainly for its good location.
Luis M., Caracas-Venezuela

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Rele
Reviewed October 26, 2007

I had booked flight to Germany to visit friends when plans I made for
accommodation fell thru I had to make late minute hotel reservations.
Being that I had never been to Frankfurt before and was not driving I
wanted to stay somewhere that was close to public transport. I called
Expedia and was offered 3*Hotel Elbe. The price sounded right (about £25 per night) and it was close to the Main Train Station so I took it.

As I flew in to Frankfurt Hahn Airport which is about 1hr 30mins drive from Frankfurt Main Airport I took a bus in (12 euros one-way). Thankfully this bus took me all the way to Main Train Station.
The Hotel was about 7min walk from where the bus drops off. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the amount of strip clubs and sex shop around. I was obviously in a red light district. However it was also the main financial district (weird but understandable) so It wasn't seedy.

Hotel Elbe it self was pleasant. Being a young non- German speaking female of colour I was concerned that I wouldn’t feel comfortable in the surroundings. On the contrary staff was extremely welcoming, accommodating and genuine. Going out of there way to make sure I was comfortable and looked after. Also the room came with complimentary breakfast which was a combination of continental and hot foods. Again regardless off what time I arose each day (never before 10am) staff made sure I had access to the full spread of fresh breakfast.
The room was cosy but extremely clean and well maintained. Towels were changed daily and the heating was controllable in each room. Even though I am all of 5ft 1ins I found the beds a little on the small side but I managed. The big plus for me was the most amazing power shower. The pressure from it was blissful I often spent an extra 5 mins in the shower just cause it felt so good.

The area aside from the red light options had a lot to offer with a range of different restaurants and shops to choose from not to mention the convenience of the train station across the street which links to the rest of Europe i.e. Denmark, Holland etc. I would recommend this hotel for persons without children on short trips looking for basic, comfortable, cost effective accommodation.

• Liked — The customer service and the power shower
  • Disliked — the size of the bed
  • Stayed October 2007
ontario
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Well- I learnt a valuable lesson for the future-always read the reviews of previous visitors! This place should be shut down! I have no idea where their promotional pictures were taken but they were certainly not of the (expensive) double room I had booked. The room was small-but clean- with furniture reminiscent of east europe in the 1970s. No telephone in the room. The bathroom was miniscule and built for a contortionist- you have to sit on the toilet with your knees under the washbasin. Tiles wre missing and the whole bathroom "ambience" was one of grubbiness.
But the worst part of the stay was the fact that this section of Elbestrasse is the centre of the Frankfurt red light district. Prostitutes parade on a 24 hour basis. The 3 strip clubs directly across the street really come to life at 4am. Drug dealers and addicts fill the noise vacuum between 4am and 8am by their shouts and screams. Need I go on..... Everything written by others on this hotel should be taken as a true reflection.

• Liked — Convenient to the main railway station
  • Disliked — Being in the heart of the 'red light" district.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ennotville
corvallis, or
Reviewed August 21, 2007

this was the cheapest hotel i could find w/ private bath near the train station in frankfurt. guess i got what i paid for. some staff seemed a tad suspicious, others were friendly enough. breakfast better than expected and I was shocked when I saw most of them seemed quite bourgeois. Because the TV had free x rated channel and the room REEKED of smoke all night and the street seemed to be a central red light district, i assumed breakfast would not be popular!!

• Liked — cheap, decent decor in room
  • Disliked — very seedy street, smoky room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 6, 2006

This hotel spoiled my fun for the World Cup.

I don't mind the hotel situated in the middle of red light zone where you can see a lot of junkies hanging around apart from people with funny behaviour. I suppose it was safe because I could always hear the police siren nearby over the 3-day stay.

However, the main problem was the noisy music and people talking and shouting would only die down after 4:00am. After these sleepless nights, very often we needed to go back to take a nap in the day time as it was quieter.
Besides, as we stayed in the 1st floor, every people above us using the toilets, there would be 'somethings' coming into our toilet. My friend said it could be due to too short of the toilet discharge pipe. How disgusting!

I chose this hotel because I was misled by the information provided by GTA-travel.

• Liked — location close to train station
  • Disliked — noisy and dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away