“Great Deal”

Ranked #92 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great Deal”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here for three nights. The only bad things to say on the hotel was that the beds were hard and my AC was tempermental. Other than that, it is 30 seconds away from the train station (noise is not a problem), and 1 minute walk to trams/bahns and busses. The price was nice for our small room. The breakfast was much better than we imaged, a real breakfast buffet with a bit of everything. So even though the quality of sleep was SO-SO, i thought this was a good find otherwise. The convenience of location is great. Real friendly/helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Flitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at the IntercityHotel in Frankfurt on a business trip as my normal hotel was fully booked. As other reviewers have said, this is a basic hotel right next to the Frankfurt Haupbahnhof. The rooms are very basic and to be honest in need of updating.

One thing I will point out is that the "free" wifi was almost non-operational for both nights of my visit. Another hotel guest was complaining that this was the same the last time he stayed at the hotel and so this is obviously a recurring problem!

The breakfast buffet was good but there was a general lack of available seating - all guests obviously wanted their breakfast at 8am in the morning!!

Readers should also note that this isn't a very good neighbourhood and while that didn't bother me, there are some things that would bother others, especially women travelling on their own. I walked into downtown Frankfurt one morning (which is via the red light district) which was a particularly "interesting" walk topped off by a lady scoring drugs in the street in broad daylight!

I probably won't stay here again as in my honest opinion there are better hotels around.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
flemingshotels, Manager at IntercityHotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Andy,
thank you very much for your visit and for your opinion of your stay.
We are sorry that the WLAN access did not work . Of course, we have already spoken to the technical department of our house
and fix the problem immediately.
Have a nice trip and
kind regards
Canberra
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was impressed by the InterCity Hotel.The hotel was ideally located for my schedule: arriving at Frankfurt by train in the late afternoon and leaving from the airport the following morning. You're just minutes away from the station platforms and, with frequent and fast S-Bahn trains leaving from underground platforms at the station, the airport is only a quarter of an hour away. Transport to everywhere else in Frankfurt is also close to hand and the day ticket for Frankfurt transport included as part of my room charge was a great idea. My room was clean, quiet and comfortable -- I found the bed particularly good -- and the bathroom was excellent. There was nothing too peaceful about the breakfast room -- this is a business oriented hotel and there were plenty of people coming and going -- but there was a wide range of good quality food on offer along with tea and coffee that was better than many pricier hotels. I was also impressed by the efficient service at check-in and check-out and the professional, positive and friendly attitude shown by the reception staff. This was a hotel where I felt welcome. I'd be very happy to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
flemingshotels, Manager at IntercityHotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Steve,

thank you very much for your good assessment of your stay . We are pleased that you had a nice time and could use the ticket for public transport.
Have a nice time and hope to welcoming you again,
kind regards
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Great location, but that is pretty much it. Very basic rooms but the service was completely terrible. I requested an ironing board, but was told I had to collect it myself and walk halfway around the hotel carrying an ironing board. The staff also lost my laundry (and didn't tell me until I phoned and asked), meaning that I was late for my meeting as they had to find my shirt. Really don't recommend it

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Very convenient to the main train station in Frankfurt. Very basic, small rooms and basic amenities--old CRT TVs, etc. However it was very clean and there were no complaints.

The tiny bar area would not attract much of a crowd but we had a great time getting drinks there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed August 12, 2012

After my first stay, i didn't feel the need to stay at this property again. Yes, the location is fabulous, only 3 minutes from the main station (though, things can get ugly after dark in this quarter). But the rest is not. Its more or less your average business hotel, maybe even on the "less average" side.

Location: The hotel is directly located at the main station. Which means you can be at your train within max. 5 minutes. Its not noisy at all, as you might expect when you hear about the small distance to the train station, but actually very quiet regarding to sounds from outside. Yet, the thin walls will make you hear every sound you neighbor produces.

Reception and Staff:

The reception can sometimes be a bit overcrowded, with the receptionists acting like robots, getting through with every guest as fast as they can, without much personal appeal. This is somehow expected and i do not fault the hotel for this. All in all, they do stay friendly, but a bit cold through the whole process. While i stayed at the hotel, we also had a group dinner and a group lunch. At dinner, there was a problem with our order. They said we ordered one meal less, then we are person who want to eat. Actually we found out that we messed up the order a bit (guests and hotel in a joint effort) and in the end all of us got a meal. But the staff was not very easy about this, i felt they were even trying to put the blame solely on us. Even if it was solely our fault, they shouldn't act this way. We are still guests. So, the staff was mixed bag. Mostly friendly, but robotic, to even being a bit aggressive.

Room and sleep quality:

The room was equipped like a typical IC-hotel room:

Bed, a small desk, a very old tube-tv, air-con (yes, but it was not turned on, when i came into my room), a mini-bar, a small closet and even a table with two chairs. Nothing to write home about, but all in all sufficient.

The last time i was there, i had to very small and narrow single beds, which made sleeping very uncomfortable. This time i had a larger bed (thought still very narrow for two person), which was comfortably hard, but only had a very small pillow. The linen was also fixed a few times already, which gave me a very strange feeling (can't they afford to change the linen when it has holes ? does it need to be fixed and used again ?). But, the hard bedding, the reasonably wide bed and the lucky-to-be-found air-condition, provided a very good sleep for me. Thumbs up for this.

The room was a bit on the small side, but sufficient. The bath room on the other side was quite cramped and also appeared used. The shower handle was in need for replacement and so where quite a few other parts of the bathroom, which had seen better times.

But, all in all the room and the bathroom occurred clean to me and i didn't find any ugly stuff, like i did in other hotels.

I guess there is not much more to write. Just a few things:

They seem to have handled the key-card issue. My door opened perfectly this time, not only after several tries like the last time.

I had lunch and dinner at the restaurant. The food ranged from really good to medicore (tiramisu was stilly icy inside). While the food was sometimes really good, i probably wouldn't want to pay the prices of the hotel for the offered food, as a) the portions are not very big and b) the atmosphere of the restaurant has more or less a cafeteria flair.

The same applies for the breakfast: While you can choose you own quantity here, the offerings are rich in quantity and sometimes also in quality. But don't expect a heavenly breakfast, it is still only a 3 star hotel, which supplies breakfast for over 200 people on most days. The cafeteria-atmosphere also persists here.

They still supply free wifi for 10 hours and give out tickets for free use of public transport. Just ask for these two things, if they do not ask you if you need this. They sometimes forget to ask.

Verdict:

I still do not like the hotel to much (i rarely like german business hotels), but its okay for one or two nights to stay here. I wouldn't plan to use it for holiday though, as it is only a business hotel and it does cater primarily for these client-el. It has it strong points, like free use of public transport, a good breakfast and a fabulous location. Apart from that, everything is a bit average or even less. The hotel needs a good fresh-up in some parts if it doesn't want to loose it's appeal. Location is not everything...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
flemingshotels, Manager at IntercityHotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear 3d-razor,
first of all, thank you very much for your detailed coverage of your various stays in our hotel. We are delighted that you were our guest one time before and could use the ticket for public transport. Sorry about the fixed linen in your bed, we will speak to our housekeeping staff immediately.
Please be sure that we also speak to our restaurant staff to train and teach them to be much more friendlier to our guests.
Have a nice time and hope to welcoming you again,
Kind regards
Mernda, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Intercity Hotel was 1 of 3 choices we had re our Germany Tour. We decided on this hotel mainly for the location, which is great. Right across the road from the main train station. A short walk to "Old Town". From the outside it looks tiny, but it is like a rabbit's warren, goes on forever. Check in was fine, you also receive a free day transport ticket which is a great bonus Reception area is very small and can get very jammed packed with people, suitcases etc once all the tours are gathering ready to leave . We stayed here before and after the tour. Both rooms that we had were pretty much the same. Standard Double. The start of the tour, we had room 459. Very small basic room. No fridge in the room. Also no Tea & Coffee facilities. Which was disappointing. Our bed was very hard. No extra pillows in the room. Pillows are very soft. Our room on second stay was 547, intially we were given another room but we had to change because it was 2 single beds and not a double as requested. Room 547, once we got it was made up as a single with only one of everything, so we rang reception to let them know, within a short time houskeeping arrived and we left them to sort out what they needed to do. We went off to see the sights. When we came back later that evening, yes we did have 2 pillows, 2 doonas, glasses, etc. But the completely forget to go into the bathroom and add towels etc. So another phone call, but I must say that we did not have to wait long for extra towels. Breakfast had a good variety of hot & cold, so no complaints there. Besides there is plenty of eateries around the train station if you did not like the hotel breakfast which is included with the room. Overall as I said a good base hotel, nothing fancy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
flemingshotels, Manager at IntercityHotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Dara,
thank you very much for your stay in our hotel and your opinion about your stay.
We are glad that you enjoy your stay and please excuse the fact that your room was not designed for two people with bed linen. Please be sure that we will speak to our housekeeping staff. All our rooms are equipped with a minibar, we have no rooms in the hotel without a minibar.
We wish you a nice time and best regards,