“Super convenient lodging by the Frankfurt airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steigenberger Airport Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Steigenberger Airport Hotel
Ranked #25 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Super convenient lodging by the Frankfurt airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

On a business trip to Frankfurt, I had a very hard time finding a decent and affordable hotel in downtown Frankfurt. Because of the convenience of the hotel shuttle and the quick train service from the airport to the Frankfurt main train station, I decided to stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel for my two-day stay. It was a good choice. The shuttle service is frequent and quick, and while the room was compact, it was clean and extremely comfortable. The bedding was wonderful - fantastic pillows and feather bed - I slept great even on my first night in Europe. I'm glad I was staying in the room by myself as the shower stall is exposed to the room and completely encased with clear glass. Still, I was in a single so perhaps in doubles you are afforded more privacy. For me, the biggest drawbacks of the hotel are the cost of the breakfast (which I skipped, as I can't justify paying so much), and the fact that there is no free wifi and even using the computers in the business center to check in online requires that you pay. I used the cheapest option - 17 cents per minute - to check in online, but really, for an airport hotel I expect complimentary online checkin service, as I have found in many other hotels.

1 Thank Kathleen M
airporthotelfra, Executive Office at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Kathy M.;
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.
We are happy that the hotel turned out to be a good choice even if you originally wanted to stay in the city.
Our shuttle bus(ses) are operating 24 hours every 15 minutes (at night every 20 minutes) and are reaching the terminals within 10 minutes.
From there you can take the train to the city center which is distant roughly 15 minutes. One hint: train tickets are available at our front desk.
The room you rented was one of our new renovated rooms, which was “standard” category before and is “superior” category now. Only the single rooms have the integrated shower with glass. In the double rooms of this category you will also find a particular bathroom design, but it allows more privacy.
Our breakfast buffet for 28 EUR (or 21 EUR with early booking discount) is very generous. Just like you, you can enjoy also a lighter a la carte breakfast served in our Bistro.
We are happy to announce the internet will be free of charge beginning from January 2014 for our guests.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you again.
With best regards
Francesca Sambito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Check in and checkout were done by one emplyee whilst 5 othersstood about chatting whilst customers stood ina que for up to 15minutes. I asked for a feedback form and was aked whatI wanted it ofr? they then could not find one.I askedfor the Hotel managers email addresswhich they "could not hand out to clients".
Expensive room service which was cold when it arrived. Minibar locked. Generally surly service and staff who clearly could not be bothered. When I handed my coat and bag in for storage whilst attending a meeting after check out I was told to bring it round the back myself! When I picked it up I did not have to provide any evidence that I was the owner.

A tany price this hotel is a massive dissapointment.

1 Thank nick r
Dear nick r.;
We would like to thank you for taking the time and let us know about your experience in our hotel. Guest’s feedbacks are important to us to find out in case we failed and make the appropriate adjustments immediately.
Do you know the phrase “when it rains, it pours”? This is what happened in your case.
We have forwarded your evaluation to the front office manager. The missteps will be discussed in their daily trainings for an improvement of the service. The same has been arranged regarding the room service.
We would be very glad if you will return to our hotel again by any occasion so that we can prove our usual service to you.
With best regards
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed in the executive tower - 9th floor - you could not hear the planes which was good for an airport hotel. However it is annoying when I had to pay 38 Euros for 3 days of Wifi access when the room was already around several hundred Euro's per night.

The breakfast was ok, but avoid the croissants...like rock....

Rooms were clean - No Baths though - only showers.

Staff friendly enough. Could be pretty much any generic hotel, anywhere in the world....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Chas S.;
Thank you for the rating of our hotel on tripadvisor.
We are glad to read you had an enjoyable stay in the executive tower. The hotel offers the highest soundproofing compared to others in the surrounding area. This is important to afford an undisturbed sleep and visit in overall.
We are happy to let you know that the internet will be free of charge beginning from January 2014.
Our breakfast is available daily from 6.30 to 10.00 a.m. It is our primary goal to offer a top quality in food and service. Therefore we have forwarded your hint to the food manager. He will take care about the issue and have a look in the future to assure a satisfying standard.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you again.
Arlington, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

When I arrived in Frankfurt and jumped on the shuttle bus I was quite impressed with the Steigenberger! The shuttle arrived very timely, was clean, spacious and the ride to the hotel was quite nice!

When I arrived to the hotel is when my positive experience came to a screeching halt. As I was checking in early in the morning, the first thing I was told was I would be paying an early check in fee. Ok, I understand. Next I was shown my roommate of 200Euros. Ok, no problem, but this place better be nice, or at least nicer than the gruff, disgruntled front desk staff.

Upon entering my room, I was shocked. I have never stayed in an older, smaller, more bare hotel room in all of my life. The furnishings, carpet, TV, clothes hangers, light fixtures, etc looked like they had been there since the 70s. The room was no bigger than a walk in closet. Calling the bed a twin bed would be generous, and calling the carpeting anything less than garish would be a tremendous compliment.

After getting off a long flight, the first thing I like to do is to take a shower. Unfortunately that wasn't an option though as I had no towels in my room. Next thing I tried to do was to get on the not free internet. This proved to be the straw that broke the camels back for me. After paying 15Euros to log in, I tried to access my email unsuccessfully, check Facebook unsuccessfully, and then tried to even do the internet speed check. Surprise surprise, that was also unsuccessful.

With my, then, 2 hour stay shaping up to be by far one of my worst hotel experiences ever, I went down to the front desk with my bags packed, had them take the internet off of my bill, promptly checked out and headed to the fabulous Marriott. Interestingly enough, while at the front desk there was a couple next to me also checking out. They were complaining about being charged to use the pool, the fitness center, the internet, etc. when the front desk staff asked if they wanted an envelope for their bill, the guests reply was, "Do we have to pay for that too?!" They definitely weren't joking

At the Marriott I happily paid a marginally higher rate for a real 5 star room, free internet and lounge access.

The Steigenberger hotel should be embarrassed with itself.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
airporthotelfra, Executive Office at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Chris U.;
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.
We deeply regret your stay at our hotel turned out badly and that you left after a few hours.
Please allow us to comment your review.
The room you checked in is one of the older ones. We are aware of this issue. That is why we are renovating these rooms already. A part of it has been finished and is available as “superior” now. Everything has been replaced; the carpet, the wallpaper, the bed, the furniture… Even the room concept and layout is completely different.
We really do understand your disappointment. Our hotel has 563 rooms, 4 categories. Please do also understand that a renovation of more than 300 rooms is a very cost-intensive project which cannot be completed within a short period. If you do not mind we would be very glad to show you what the new rooms look like; especially the single room is a kind of extraordinariness. You can have a closer look at our website.
The lady who checked you out is not in the hotel at the moment. We cannot ask her about the situation. We are wondering that we have not been able to stop you from leaving. This is really happening rarely since we always offer an alternative option in case our valuable guest is unhappy. Apart from the superior rooms the hotel has deluxe and executive rooms. The last mentioned are located in a separate tower. You find only 10 rooms per floor. The rooms have 30 to 45 square meters with a very comfortable bed, a wellness shower, large desk, flat screen and Nespresso coffee machine.
You mentioned there have been no towels in the room. Of course this should not happen. Obviously the housekeeping forgot to leave some in the bathroom. In such cases you are welcome to call our staff by phone and ask for what you need. They will serve you as soon as possible with pleasure.
We have no explanation why the internet did not work during your stay here and there haven’t been any further complaints about this issue. We are sorry for the non-working service. We want to let you know the internet will be gratis beginning from next year (1. January 2014).
Dear Chris, we are also human and we are also guests in other facilities sometimes. Of course we do understand your anger. We can only ask for your understanding that mistakes happens sometimes. And we want to let you know that we are willing to make amends for it if we are allowed to. In places where people do work everyone can fail.
The incident you took note of with the couple at the front desk must have been also a misunderstanding. The pool and fitness center are free of charge for our guests. Without having details it is hard to clarify the issue and where the mistake came from.
As a hotel it is our primary goal to satisfy our guests. We would highly appreciate if you give us a second chance by any time to prove our usual service to you. Do not hesitate to ask for an Executive room. We are sure you will enjoy your stay then and that the free shuttle service will not be the only highlight in regard of the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
Kind regards
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and it is ideal for early morning flights. The hotel features easy access to the airport via bus to Terminal 1 and a smaller van to Terminal 2. Staff is personable and always professional. On this stay my standard room was on the second floor and the trademark of this style room has always been the circular shower. Was a bit surprised to find a 19” CRT TV instead of the now more common flat screen. Was not sure those still existed. Worked fine however and there were multiple channels available in several languages. Did not sample dining facilities due to late arrival and early departure. Overall quite pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
airporthotelfra, Executive Office at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Gray492;
Thank you for evaluating our hotel on TripAdvisor.
It is our pleasure to hear you are visiting us frequently and are happy in overall. Every feedback is important for us and appreciated. The ones from guests like you – who travel to us several times – are special since there is the chance to compare and to follow up the facility and the service.
We are glad to inform you that the old TV devices are being replaced by flat screens soon. Our superior and executive category offer already those TVs.
Due to our visitors arriving from all over the world we have an international choice of channels like English, French, Italian, Turkish, Russian, Chinese and Korean for our guests.
We would be glad to welcome you again someday and do hope you find the opportunity to enjoy a meal either in our German restaurant “Unterschweinstiege” or in the fine dining restaurant “Faces”. Besides; the lobby bar “Con.nex.ion” is open around the clock and serving meals also at night.
Kind regards from Germany,
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very expensive .. cold feeling and somewhat sterile ....Bedroom was clearly not cleaned for a new guest so was offered another room fairly promptly. Room was bugged. ... one bug actually not sure what it was but quite big and on the pillow.

Breakfast was not early enough (pathetic for an airport hotel) for us and internet was very pricey given the 349 euro hotel price.

Up side was it was clean, the bed was comfortable. And the shower nice and also clean.

Room Tip: No real advice, of the two we saw they were near identical.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
airporthotelfra, Executive Office at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear integra-sparks;
Thanks for your review on tripadvisor.
We are sorry you did not like our facility and service. Especially the discovery in the room was very unpleasant. Your hint allowed us to take action immediately and solve the issue.
The price you paid for the overnight is not a usual rate. Depending on fairs or big events taking place in Frankfurt it is available adapted to these circumstances. The common price is more than the half of your mentioning for the standard rooms.
We do hope to welcome you again in our hotel and that everything is to your satisfaction then. Whatever we can do to make your stay pleasant, just let us know.
Greeting to Michigan,
Teddington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed on business, which was just as well as housekeeping liked to knock on the door at 0715hrs! On only one of the four nights I was there was a full compliment of bathroom toiletries provided and also towels. The bed was comfortable but the airconditioning a problem to turn off.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear GastronomUK;
Thank you for spending some time on rating your stay at our hotel on tripadvisor.
We are sorry you could not glory in your visit here and the housekeeping bothered you in the morning. This has been forwarded already to our executive housekeeper. The employees have and will be informed again to pay more attention on occupied rooms. Next time please do use the “Do not disturb” sign to make sure you can sleep without interruption. Also do not hesitate to contact our housekeeping department in case you are missing anything in your room.
Due to the lack of details we cannot figure out in which room you have overnighted. The air conditioners are being checked and also replaced from time to time because of the renovation of the hotel. We hope to fix the referred item.
We would be glad if we can welcome you again in Frankfurt.
Best regards