When I arrived in Frankfurt and jumped on the shuttle bus I was quite impressed with the Steigenberger! The shuttle arrived very timely, was clean, spacious and the ride to the hotel was quite nice!
When I arrived to the hotel is when my positive experience came to a screeching halt. As I was checking in early in the morning, the first thing I was told was I would be paying an early check in fee. Ok, I understand. Next I was shown my roommate of 200Euros. Ok, no problem, but this place better be nice, or at least nicer than the gruff, disgruntled front desk staff.
Upon entering my room, I was shocked. I have never stayed in an older, smaller, more bare hotel room in all of my life. The furnishings, carpet, TV, clothes hangers, light fixtures, etc looked like they had been there since the 70s. The room was no bigger than a walk in closet. Calling the bed a twin bed would be generous, and calling the carpeting anything less than garish would be a tremendous compliment.
After getting off a long flight, the first thing I like to do is to take a shower. Unfortunately that wasn't an option though as I had no towels in my room. Next thing I tried to do was to get on the not free internet. This proved to be the straw that broke the camels back for me. After paying 15Euros to log in, I tried to access my email unsuccessfully, check Facebook unsuccessfully, and then tried to even do the internet speed check. Surprise surprise, that was also unsuccessful.
With my, then, 2 hour stay shaping up to be by far one of my worst hotel experiences ever, I went down to the front desk with my bags packed, had them take the internet off of my bill, promptly checked out and headed to the fabulous Marriott. Interestingly enough, while at the front desk there was a couple next to me also checking out. They were complaining about being charged to use the pool, the fitness center, the internet, etc. when the front desk staff asked if they wanted an envelope for their bill, the guests reply was, "Do we have to pay for that too?!" They definitely weren't joking
At the Marriott I happily paid a marginally higher rate for a real 5 star room, free internet and lounge access.
The Steigenberger hotel should be embarrassed with itself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt! The conference and business hotel with 570 rooms and 40 conference rooms at the Frankfurt Airport is the first choice address when it comes to business events and offers everything to make meetings, conferences, banquets, congresses or events a success. Only four minutes from Frankfurt Airport and reachable every 20 minutes with the free 24 hours Express-Airport-Shuttle, an oasis full of friendliness, professionalism and cosiness with a beautiful view into nature is awaiting you. Here, recreation and relaxation have top priority: before or after the conference, in one of the 40 conference rooms with a total of 2000 square metres on level-access flooring, in our four restaurants, on the summer terraces, in the pool with a panoramic view or at the catering. WiFi with a bandwidth of up to 256 KB/s is free for guests in all hotels of the Steigenberger Hotels AG. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Steigenberger Airport Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Airport Frankfurt
- Hotel Steigenberger Airport