“Nice hotel - but expensive food and bisiness center”

Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #26 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Air Canada booked us into this hotel as our flight was cancelled.  Hotel Steigenberger is a nice hotel.  It is a short 5min shuttle bus ride from the airport.  The large shuttle us leaves every 15nin (20min at night). Our room was clean, had no odor and a queen size bed.   The A/C, running on high, was able to cool the room down by a few degrees, which is better than in most other German hotels.
The breakfast buffet has a huge selection of tasty foods.
We ate lunch and dinner in the Unterschweinstiege restaurant.  The lunch and dinner buffets were almost identical.  The food had either no taste or was way too salty.  I would not go there again.
The other restaurant (Connexion) disqualified itself by asking Euro 18.50 for a cheeseburger.
Using the business center is not free.  They have about 10 different payment plans.  The pay-per-minute plan is 17 Euro cents per minute.
Riding to downtown Frankfurt can be done by taking their airport shuttle to the airport and then taking the S-Bahn (train) to the main train station (takes 12 min) and the U-Bahn (subway) to other locations in the city. A one-way ticket is Euro 4.20 per person.

• Stayed: October 2012
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Rudy G;
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very grateful for your remarks, your personal opinion is important to us.
I am delighted that you have liked our hotel, with its direct location at Frankfurt Airport, our accessibility, your room and the breakfast buffet and you are satisfied with our service.
I am sorry that the food in the restaurant Unterschweinstiege was not so much to your taste. The restaurant Unterschweinstiege is a 250 years old forester’s lodge, where we offer regional, rustic kitchen. The selection of food may seem similar, although regional differences exist very well. German cuisine is offering only a part of the world wide available food choices.
All meals at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel are freshly prepared with very high quality food. Our Cheeseburger for 18.50 EUR is a main dish with 180g beef, Swiss cheese, red onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, gherkin, BBQ sauce, coleslaw and French fries. The organic whole grain yeast bun is delivered fresh daily.
We offer 2 terminals at our business center where you have Internet access. The fee for Internet use is 4.50 EUR per hour, 9.00 EUR for 5 hours or 14.50 EUR for 24 hours.
By the central location of our hotel, the city center, the exhibition center and other interesting venues in the area are easily and quickly accessible by public transport.
I hope we can welcome you again soon at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel. You may visit us also "voluntarily" without flight delay, and enjoy the urban forest as well as our many services and outlets.
Many Greetings to Pennsylvania

Reviewed October 15, 2012

NO service and a cheap and nasty room

We came to the Steigenberger late after a full day of travel, and the shuttle and check in were very efficient. We had stayed at the Steigenberger in Baden Baden for 4 nights and the hotel and service were brilliant, so we booked Steigenberger with hope in our hearts. Well...the room would be 3 star at best - a cramped plastic bathroom and bedroom with hideous unmatched cheap printed fabrics. We asked for milk with our tea and had to go down to reception and pick it up. The minibar had a key and, again we had to go to reception and pick it up. What happened to service???

The price was very high for something so very ordinary. Not again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Diana E;
Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.
I want to apologize for your unpleasant experience at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt. Our primary goal is to provide our guests with excellent and efficient service. When our service breaks down we are grateful for individuals that tell us where we failed to meet our guest’s expectations so that we may make the appropriate adjustments.
I am sorry that our front desk employees did not hand out the key for the minibar to you after Check-in although you have given your credit card details for using the amenities. Please be assured that this information has been forwarded to the front desk manager. The matter has been considered and trained in the daily job training to make sure our guests do have a comfortable stay in every way.
I regret that our standard category did not satisfy your expectations. We can offer our deluxe and executive rooms to you in the future, which are larger and more comfortable and offer some more extras. I am pleased to inform you that the standard rooms are being renovated since last year. All workings will be finished by autumn next year. A part of them are already shining in a new look and are called superior rooms now.
Diana E, I would be glad if you do not take the inconvenient experience as a reason for not visiting us anymore. Whenever your travel plans should lead you back to Frankfurt our team would be happy to welcome you again at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel and prove our usual top service to you.
Kind regards from Frankfurt

Reviewed October 14, 2012

i stayed at Steigenberger hotel when transiting from Frankfurt airport.
the positives:
- nice comfortable rooms (got a free upgrade!)
- good ambience
- close to the airport (5mins by shuttle)
- Free shuttle from the airport (15mins frequency in the day time, 30mins at night time)
The only issue:
- a bit on the costlier side (they charge the airport premium!)
- room service is costly - the first hotel i have used in Europe which charged an extra 5Euro for room service.
Overall a decently good comfortable short stay

Dear AbhijeetK;
I am very grateful that you have rated the Steigenberger Airport Hotel on TripAdvisor and that you recommend our hotel and our services.
I appreciate your positive comments regarding our rooms, the atmosphere in the hotel, our great location and our complimentary 24-hour express-airport-shuttle.
I am sorry that you got the impression that we are on the costlier side. We offer a variety of room categories and three a la carte restaurants. Here you can find something suitable for every taste and budget. Our room service fee is 5.50 EUR per service. Alternatively we offer high-quality meals and drinks in our lobby-bistro-bar, which is open around the clock.
I look forward to your next visit and hope you will also test one of our restaurants.
Best wishes to Mumbai

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night before leaving from Frankfurt airport on an early flight.

This hotel was sold out on all of the major websites but we called them and they had rooms available. They did not charge us a premium and our room was excellent.

Reception: Efficient and Friendly.

Room: Perfect, we stayed in the "executive towers" and had a fantastic room. The heated floor in the bathroom was a nice touch.

My only complaint is that we had to pay for WIFI. Having paid 300 euro for a room for one night, one would think that internet access would be included but not the case. This is pretty poor for a hotel of this type.

Shuttle: The shuttle leaves every 15 minutes and is prompt. Tell the driver which airline you are flying with as they stop in 2 places in terminal 1.

Parking: The parkhaus is much cheaper than airport parking and given that we intended to use it for 20 days 130 euro was pretty reasonable.

Overall I would stay here again, they need to fix the wifi issue though. It’s annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the executive towers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear PMaloney;
Thanks for the great review of your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
First and foremost I want to thank you that you have selected our hotel and I am delighted that you chose an executive room. This room type is truly our best category with all comforts and a modern contemporary design.
I'm sorry about your disappointed in relation to the internet fee. It is a common standard in Europe and at hotels of our category that there are fees for the use of Internet.
Our complimentary 24-hour express shuttle bus runs every 15 minutes, even to both terminals. It stops in the arrivals area of Terminal 1 at exit A1 and C7.
Perfect, that you decided to park your car at the public parking garage next to the hotel. This is highly recommended.
I hope that we can welcome you with us again soon. Maybe you also try one of our three a la carte restaurants?
Kind regards and best wishes to Luxembourg

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was there for one night only, between two flights.
The hotel is at 1 km from the airport and has a very frequent shuttle service.
The reception people were friendly and efficient.
The room was comfortable and cosy and modern.
The price was rather reasonable.
But the internet did not work well and was not free of charge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear vangrieken;
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel on TripAdvisor. I also thank you for your recommendation.
I am happy to read that you felt comfortable in our hotel and we were able to meet your expectations. Our complimentary 24-hour express-airport-shuttle runs every 15 minutes between the hotel and Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The journey time of 5 minutes is usually less than the walk to some hotels which are located at the terminal. The soundproofing of our rooms ensures our guests peace, despite the direct location at Frankfurt Airport.
I want to apologize that the internet did not work properly. We are working with a subcontractor and are already preparing to implement improvements. The price for an hour of internet usage is 4.50 EUR, for 24 hours, the fee is 14.50 EUR.
I am glad if you visit us again soon in Frankfurt.
Many greetings to Antwerp

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here overnight three times waiting for my flight back to the US from Frankfurt. The hotel is very busy with like minded travelers and in general the only thing I have been disappointed in is the charges for internet. They are not extravagant by any means but it just irked me to have to buy internet time to print out my boarding passes. On the other hand I was upgraded to a better room twice. The lines at the check in can be long but seem to move fast and the service was polite and efficient. I really liked my rooms which were clean and modern with a view of the forest. Shuttle servive to the airport is free and runs all night. The restaurant is grossly over priced and I did not eat there. However I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor on the side away from the aiport terminal if you want quieter. Also ask if th...
1  Thank Captainspires

Dear Captainspires;
Many thanks for your positive feedback about your stays at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel, and of course thanks for your loyalty.
I am very pleased that you were generally satisfied with your stays and that you recommend our hotel.
I understand that you prefer a free use of the Internet, but it is common in hotels of our category in Europe, that there are fees for Internet use. Please ask next time at the reception or in the business center for printing your boarding pass. My colleagues will be pleased to do it for you.
Our free 24-express-airport-shuttle runs every 15 minutes between the hotel and Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The driving time is only 5 minutes.
We also offer 3 different restaurants and a breakfast buffet restaurant at the hotel. Try some of our restaurants. The food quality and the service will surely convince you.
I hope you will visit us again quite soon.
Until then, good luck and best wishes to Houston

Reviewed September 27, 2012

One should assume that people staying at airport hotels are jet-lagged and sleep deprived. I didn't realize that the built-in furniture arrangement was hazardous until I hit my head very hard in the middle of the night. I even had the light on when I did it. The minibar in a cabinet is hung over the bedside table on the side away from the telephone. I use a CPAP machine and opted to sleep on that side of the bed, because the bedside table was larger with more room than on the other side that also holds the telephone. In the middle of the night, having gone to bed early because of exhaustion, I was thirsty and thought that perhaps the CPAP had run out of water. I got out of bed, turned on the light and filled the water reservoir from a bottle of water I had put on the bedside table. As I got up to get back into bed, I bashed my head into the overhanging cabinet with the minibar. I was in momentary intense pain, but concerned that a bump on the head can be very serious. (per the old nursery rhyme -- "He bumped his head and he went to bed and didn't get up in the morning" and Natasha Richardson's death from a hematoma)

A painful spot on the top of my scalp a few inches back from the hairline. Looking at the offending cabinet (which I am sure is in all equivalent rooms), I realize I was very lucky I didn’t hit my head on the corner of the cabinet that is just above the side of the bed. There is no padding anywhere on the overhanging cabinet edges. I don’t think I have ever previous encountered this design feature in a hotel and it is very dangerous.

The sad thing is that the dangerous cabinet is unnecessary -- it contains a minibar. On check-in I was told that there was a manditory 5 euro a day fee for the minibar. I said I didn't want to use it, but they said I had no choice and could drink as many of the non-alcholic drinks as I wished. The minibar is stocked with only 8 bottles: 2 cokes, 2 beers, 2 carbonated waters, 2 plain waters. I don't drink softdrinks with sugar and in Germany I'm happy drinking tap water. They should remove the minibar cabinet and make the rooms safer.

My flight arrived in Frankfurt shortly after 5 AM. I found my way to the shuttlebus pick-up point by 5:30 AM. It took a while (on just 2 hours of sleep) to figure out how to call the hotel. The hotel claimed the shuttle was running every 15 minutes and on about 3 calls told me it would arrive in a few minutes. It took 20 minutes. During most of that time I was alone in the cool and windy (but covered location. A beggar appeared and asked me for money for the train, but knowing that many scams involve an excuse for you to open your wallet, I refused. (I saw him later in the day at the same bus pick-up point get another lady to give him money.)

Steigenberger Airport Hotel runs a full sized bus that always has a large number of people on it, which to me indicates that they are not running frequently enough (even in the wee hours of the morning). I have used the shuttlebus two other times and both times waited for 13 minutes. Later in the day has other unpleasant aspect. The smokers who have been suffering nicotine withdrawal in flight are puffing away like mad in the waiting area. There are so many of them, the breeze just blows it in your face. The waiting area has no seating and is not a pleasant place. Its only benefit is that it is covered, so you don't get rained on. NH Hotels seems to run minibuses on a much more frequent schedule. Once I saw two NH Hotel buses while I was waiting and every time I saw at lease one. All the other hotels run minibuses. Steigenberger Airport Hotel's shuttle also services a parking garage, so there is an extra stop before you get to the hotel.

There are very few amenities in the room -- just 1 bar of soap, one small bottle of shower gel and one small bottle of shampoo. No wash cloth. There is an espresso machine, but no kettle to brew tea. I made decaf espresso, but it was bitter even wtih two of the packs of powdered whitener. There is no cream.

By 5 PM, I was hungry and ready to turn in for the night. The room service menu is very minimal and expensive and I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. (I travel a lot and frequently order room service.) The bar menu was the same. The breakfast restaurant was closed. I walked outside to the adjacent German restaurant. It was almost empty and the menu did not appeal. Despite my bad experiences with the shuttle, I decided the best alternative was to take it back to the terminal. I had an excellent dinner with cooked to order fish and a fresh salad at Marche in the Terminal 1A arrivals area. It was much less expensive than any of the miserable hotel options.

There are two trains to downtown Frankfurt (S8 and S9), so I think you can get one every 15 minutes. The fare is just a few Euros. Next time if I can't get into the Sheraton that you walk to at the airport, I'm going to take the advice a friend gave me (that I'm sorry I did not take) and stay downtown. It is worth the hassle of buying a train ticket and taking your luggage downtown to avoid the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! If you do and there is just one of you, use the side of the bed by the telepho...
1  Thank EveSp
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear EveSp;
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. Your comments will help us to improve our product and our service continuously. I am grateful for individuals that tell us where we failed to meet their expectations so that we may make the appropriate adjustments.
I would like to apologize for your unpleasant experience at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt. Please believe me that our primary goal as a hotel is to provide our guests with excellent and efficient service. I feel very sorry that you hit your head in the room and I do hope that you do not suffer from any injury left.
Furthermore I want to excuse that the bus transfer was not in time. Please be assured that I have forwarded your report to the company's management for their improvement.
I do understand your anger about the happenings. Nevertheless I would be very happy to welcome you again in Frankfurt at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel whenever you travel plans should lead you back. We would be thankful getting another chance to prove our usual service to you. I am sure we are able to convince you with our service and another type of room.
I am looking forward to your next visit.