“Great entry point into Europe”

Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #27 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I often choose this hotel as a first stop coming into Europe. It's in stumbling distance from the airport, has all the necessary amenities and is not over-priced. Good price/quality hotel. Parking is off-site (2 minute walk) but rather expensive at almost 25 EUR/day. As always in Europe, internet (high speed) is quite pricey.

At first I feared the proximity to the airport as the hotel is located on the tail end of final approach of one of the FRA runways, but the hotel is very well insulated. Plus, FRA does not have night flights (I believe Cologne is one of the few airports still allowed to fly at night in Germany).

Either way, pleasant experience. Nothing out of the ordinary but certainly nothing to complain about.

1  Thank RCGenk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,631)

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I spent one night in the hotel, the room is very clean & comfortable, even the hotel was so close to the highway but I didnt hear a thing, had a comfortable quite night sleep, had dinner in the hotel restaurant & it was great, the food selection satisfied my taste, also had breakfast which was above expectation, the thing that I really didnt like was the charge for using the internet service, I paid enough to get free access to internet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had to wait 25 minutes in the queue to check in, after my long journey! There was a big tour group in front that took a very long time to check in. To make matters worse, the hotel only had 3 employees at the reception to check customers in and they were slow. If the hotel is expecting a big group check in, they should put enough employees to speed up the process.

Otherwise, the hotel is just OK. The only good thing is that there are 3 different options for dining within the hotel.

Room Tip: if there is a big group trying to check in at the same time as you, tough luck!
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were put into the Steigenberger hotel by United after we missed our fight connection. The original room allocated to us under the United comp was pretty spartan and not too nice (but clean and functional). We asked for an upgrade and for $50 US got taken into the nicer rooms - which were excellent. Good staff, friendly atmosphere - great hotel if you stay right...

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel. It was pleasant, clean, and although my (upgraded, I suppose) room in the executive tower was a bit too modern for my taste, I found the bed exceedingly comfortable and the heated floors in the bathroom luxurious. In fact, it would have gotten a four or a five, if I had not noticed after leaving that the check-out agent had charged my credit card in dollars instead of Euros without asking me for a choice.

Let me be clear: this is not allowed. It's against their contract with the credit card networks, and even if it weren't it's deceptive, because I ended up paying a good 3% more than I would have with my 0%-forex-fee credit card. Yes, I was negligent for not double-checking, but that does not excuse their behavior. So I will not be returning unless it is significantly cheaper and/or more comfortable than other options.

1  Thank tcktravelguy
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Steigenberger seems to be trading on their name here for the convenient location to the airport. It feels as though this hotel is cutting corners and penny pinching where it can to eek out a profit. This manifests itself in numerous ways from outrageous wifi and bottled water prices to ridiculously skimpy toiletries.

PROS: convenient location, friendly service, great breakfast buffet (expensive but very good), executive tower is nicer than rest of hotel

CONS: tiny rooms, furniture showing wear and tear without any repair, towels are as abrasive as sandpaper, limited toiletry items (one bottle for shampoo and body wash!), short on staff at front desk (expect a line), tiny beds, 20 year old televisions, restaurant very mediocre

Room Tip: Stay in the executive tower or don't bother at all
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nextmike
Reviewed April 17, 2012

On our recent trip we stayed at this hotel twice--going and coming--because it was so convenient as well as being a full service hotel. The shuttle service was dependable. The rooms in the newer section are stylishly decorated, spotlessly clean, and the size was good for two people. We enjoyed the large bar area and having a choice of restaurants.

We were not happy with the temperature of the room on our second stay. This is the type of hotel that does not have a thermostat, but a warmer and cooler dial that changes the temperature only by a few degrees. The windows do no open so one can't control the temperature that way. On our first stay at the coolest setting, we were quite comfortable. On our second stay, even at the coolest setting, we were too warm sleeping with the duvet. We did not discuss options for dealing with this with management as our stay was so short, but before we'd book this hotel again, I'd call them to do so.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple